The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone else have mares that like to foal on "holidays"

Out of 9 foals that I've had so far, 6 have been born on some sort of holiday.
    2003- one due, born on Easter Sunday
    2008- two due, one born on Cinco de Mayo
    2009- three due, one born on my wedding anniversary
    2010- one due, born my wedding anniversary (again!)
    2011- five due, two have foaled. The first on my son's b-day and the second on my mom's b-day.
    I'm starting to wonder if I should just cancel any plans around holidays that I have foals due anywhere near!

They don't foal on them, although given their choice, Saturday night is a favorite. However, they love being bred on major holidays!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

So far Easter Sunday and going to the show day ( we were a bit late but made the classes). I'm expecting a Quaterback on Mother's Day.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

Remove the calendar from your barn? Then they won't know what day it is just like me most of the time.

All my horse like to do their deeds on weekends, holidays ( the period between Christmas and New year being a favorite), after hours, etc.
    Colics, especially are reserved for those special times.
    Interestingly, I have one mare who has had 4 foals, each one of them born on Tuesday !

LOL, it's a bit like a cat who lays down on top of the book you're reading to get your attention .

One of my Uncle's mares had 3 foals, all born on July 4th.
    Which was also the same day she was born.
    I think its the fireworks or something.

I don't even want to admit how many Friday the 13th horses I have had and foaled, not to mention a dog.....

And then if the mares don't foal on Friday the 13th, they foal on a family members birthday, and the family is not that big!
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm

My mare's first breeding occurred over July 4 holidays. Stallion was collected on July 4, and of course since FedEx was closed we had to do counter to counter (which was a whole 'nuther funny story). We inseminated at 3 AM on July 5, and the foal was born on Memorial Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    My mare's first breeding occurred over July 4 holidays. Stallion was collected on July 4, and of course since FedEx was closed we had to do counter to counter (which was a whole 'nuther funny story). We inseminated at 3 AM on July 5, and the foal was born on Memorial Day weekend.
    Okay, spill. Who doesn't like a good semen story?

We went several years running with at least one foal born daylight savings day/night. Crazy trying to figure out what time the foal was born. One of those night I won't ever forget. I was catatonic from several nights up with the mares. It was really cold - blew a fuse in the barn so lost the TV monitor but not the heater plugged into the other outlet. Mare #1 started to foal at 3AM. Hiplock. Got baby out immediately after calling up the BO and saying "I need help getting this baby out." Click.

Then mare #2, a maiden, started jigging and pacing. No TV, so ended up sitting in the dark outside her stall for 1.5 hours waiting for her to go. Which she finally did, at SIX a.m. Those of you who have foaled lots of mares knows what a 6AM foal means - NO sleep at all!
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I have had an Easter foal and one born on my son's birthday

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    They don't foal on them, although given their choice, Saturday night is a favorite. However, they love being bred on major holidays!
    Oh yes, that too! I think we hit every major holiday and my vet's horse show weekends last year! Doing lots of frozen this year so at least I won't have the shipping headaches.

the trend this year was holiday or the day before a show. we had a baby born on mardi gras (glitter), st patricks day (lucky), and april fools day (trixie, stealth dropped in the field). the other two (friday, and unnamed) were both born on friday nights, but happily all were born within normal waking hours.

Last year we had a colt on May Day, a filly on Memorial Day and Im hoping I get a Mothers Day tomorrow!
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Just one....on Labor Day. How appropriate, huh? I don't breed that late but this was a riding horse my hubby bought as a polo pony prospect off a feed lot....we got a two for special with daddy unknown.......

Well, my mare foaled this morning on Mother's Day, so I guess that she can belong to this thread now!

We had a "Kame on Easter" and "Knobody's Fool" (april1st) and others as well as this morning on mothers day.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers