The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Buck Brannaman film trailer.

Came across this and thought that I'd share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCMm5...5BBFE0354E25F9

I don't know much about him, but the trailer looks decent. Also? I want the side-passing horse.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Thank you for posting this. It looks good.

No problem.

I'd like to know what the usual anti-Parelli people here think of Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    I'd like to know what the usual anti-Parelli people here think of Buck.
    I'd like to see him working with a headshy stallion and a one-eyed horse that doesn't know that rope wiggles mean "back up".

I'd like this thread not to turn into a trainwreck.

Thanks for sharing!
    I actually have his book where he talks about his life , and also how he helped to make the movie the horse whisperer, and I liked it. i'm not a fan of Parelli and such but buck's book was pretty descent, and as cheesy as it sounds, I love the movie the horse whisperer.

so i'm guessing this movie will be about his life?

is this going to be put out to theaters or dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I'd like this thread not to turn into a trainwreck.
    Me too. Suffice to say that those of us who recognize true horsemanship when we see it know that Buck Brannaman is the real deal. IMO, he is the one who most 'gets it' what Tom Dorrance was trying to share with us about horses.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; May. 5, 2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo and clarity
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Me too. Suffice to say that those of us who recognize true horsemanship when we see it know that Buck Brannaman is the real deal. IMO, he is the one who most 'gets it' what Tom Dorrance was trying to share with us about horses.
    Ding ding ding, winner winner, chicken dinner

It will be released in theaters Mid June. DVD later this year.

Ditto that Buck is the real deal. His true interest is the horse. He is one of the greats IMO. Many years age, he, George Morris and Rodney Jenkins gave a clinic in Buffalo which I attended. It was pre Natural Horsemanship faddy times, before Parelli and the others came along. We were blown away by Buck's methods and understanding, his kindness to the horses he worked with (and his willingness to criticize human handling when needed!) He is, BTW, a fantastic rider, soft, correct and effective.

I have since seen him in a couple of other situations, and my respect for him as a horseman has only grown.

I plan to see the film.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Definitely, anyone who has a chance to watch and learn from him, do! I have spectated at/observed a couple of his clinics when I was in Nebraska and was both awed and inspired, and learned a lot even from just watching. I would love to have the opportunity actually to participate in one with a horse. I know it would be very educational and fun, and probably humbling but in a good way, if that makes any sense.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Looks good to me!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by boosma47 View Post
    Ditto that Buck is the real deal. His true interest is the horse. He is one of the greats IMO. Many years age, he, George Morris and Rodney Jenkins gave a clinic in Buffalo which I attended. It was pre Natural Horsemanship faddy times, before Parelli and the others came along. We were blown away by Buck's methods and understanding, his kindness to the horses he worked with (and his willingness to criticize human handling when needed!) He is, BTW, a fantastic rider, soft, correct and effective.
    I have that video series and it was quite good.

Thanks for posting that, kookicat. I remember hearing a documentary had been made about Buck Brannaman, but hadn't seen anything else about it.

Anyone know if this has been shown anywhere other than film festivals? I'd love to see it.

Western -- I don't see many similarities between the Pat Parelli and Buck Brannaman, other than they both work with horses.

I knew who Buck Brannaman was before I ever heard of Pat Parelli. My first (and best) horse mentor was a big fan of Brannaman, Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt.

FYI -- I am not anti-Parelli. I am anti-self-serving bullshit passed off as brilliant horsemanship, no matter who is serving it up.

FYI -- I am not anti-Parelli. I am anti-self-serving bullshit passed off as brilliant horsemanship, no matter who is serving it up.

YUP.

Also, go see Buck, his website has his clinic schedule on it. Don't expect a circus or show though and I highly suggest riding correctly
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by boosma47 View Post

I have since seen him in a couple of other situations, and my respect for him as a horseman has only grown.

I plan to see the film.

This. I would swing over hell on a rotten rope to attend one of his clinics.

gah, that made me tear up! When the people felt all horrible at the end for not doing it right. I've been there... when you struggle and struggle ... finally you truly THINK about it and ding ding,,,do 'this'.

I looooved his book! Very much. I'm very excited to get to see this movie I didn't know they were making one, so thanks for posting this

I've seen the film, and it is really, really well done. The objective was to show who and what Buck is and how he has overcome the legacy of his childhood and gone beyond recovering from it. It also showcases his work with horses, but mostly because that cannot be separated from who he is. It is also visually beautiful.

Buck is the real deal. He sets a high standard and is adamant about being correct. But part of my personal experience of him is with his tremendous kindness in the face of legitimate fear. When I went into my first clinic with him, I was in a really bad place with a horse that was a last-minute sub for the one I was expecting to ride, and I was expecting to be cut to ribbons because of our issues. Instead, he saw that I was honestly trying and wasn't looking to make excuses, but was genuinely not in a good place, and his kindness to me and to my horse was something that I still struggle to deal with because it was so unexpected. It's not that he was soft about it--we had one really ugly moment at the end of the second day when he was pushing us through a bad spot. I did not sleep that night, but I came back the next day even more determined to make some changes, and he met me way more than half way; I honestly felt as though he structured the whole session that day for me and my horse (I've since learned that his clinics somehow always feel that way, even though you're riding in a group of 25 very different individuals). The result was life-changing for me and, especially, for the horse.

About a month after the clinic, I was re-reading his "Believe" book and came across the part near the beginning where he mentions his understanding of legitimate fear, because of his childhood experiences, and his sympathy for it, and I just broke down in tears.

As a clinician, he may not be everyone's cup of tea; you ride in large groups, and if you're doing well, he may say very little to you. He expects everyone to watch everything, no matter how "elementary" the issue may seem (it's how he deals with it that makes anything he does worth watching). Very frustrating to people who are used to arriving at a clinic, having their private 45 minutes, and then leaving. But his ability to do things with horses, and to articulate what he is doing, is well worth the time spent watching every moment--not to mention, mezmerizing in its rightness and success.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I saw the movie at Sundance, it is excellent. Official movie web site if memory serves is www.buckthefilm.com. I haven't checked it recently but by now they may have distribution info.

And yes, Buck is a real horseman. In fact I'm insanely jealous because a newbie rider it my barn is going to a clinic at his ranch this summer. Smart newbie IMO.

Edited to reflect katy's kind correction below, thanks!
    Last edited by Beverley; May. 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM.