The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Default Why is board in MD so much cheaper than VA?

I am currently boarding at a nice, private property that is well kept up and my horse is well cared for, so, no complaints there.

But recently, I stumbled upon this website of a barn in MD that, once I add in the extras, is still nearly $200 less a month than what I currently pay, AND it has an indoor. I find this is not atypical in MD - that the board prices are extremely lower than what you see in VA.

There are DUMPS in this area that START at $500/mo. What gives?

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    I am currently boarding at a nice, private property that is well kept up and my horse is well cared for, so, no complaints there.

But recently, I stumbled upon this website of a barn in MD that, once I add in the extras, is still nearly $200 less a month than what I currently pay, AND it has an indoor. I find this is not atypical in MD - that the board prices are extremely lower than what you see in VA.

There are DUMPS in this area that START at $500/mo. What gives?
    This place is nice but it's not even close to VA so hard to compare. It's WAY down in Southern MD.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Leonardtown, MD is a whopping hour and a half from my house. Not like I'd want that sort of a commute. In Northern VA, I am minutes from the MD line and have consistently seen board prices within 40 mins of my house (excluding rush hour traffic) much, much less than this area.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Basically, I think its the cost of land that keeps the boarding costs down. There's a lot more open farmland left in MD, even in close in areas of PG and Montgomery Counties.

The cost of living is also lower, so barn owners don't have to charge as much to pay the mortgage. I'm currently boarding at a nice place in Upper Marlboro with an indoor, great care and decent turnout for $530.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

My daughter went to school at St. Mary's College in St. Mary's City, right down the road from Leonardtown. It's not an expensive area. Look at the price of real estate.

We boarded in Mt. Airy 6 years ago and paid $450/month then for full care board with an arena. I imagine it's quite a bit higher now. In Greenspring Valley, limited turnout and arena was about $550/month (6 years ago). Location, location, location.

And did you check the extras prices?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The taxes on my friend's 10 acres, 6 stall stable, and very modest (1700 sq) residence in Loudoun County is...

six thousand dollars a year
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

What everyone else said. Southern Maryland is not an expensive place to live. NoVa is.

From a different perspective, we are moving to southern MD from NJ and we are thrilled with how cheap it is!

Even NoVA is cheap compared to here!!

Property taxes on our 35 year old 2200 square foot house in an old subdivision in south jersey (the cheap part) are...$6000 a year! And there are no ponies in my back yard!

Its all relative. Board with a tiny indoor at a private place here starts at $600, average for board with a decent indooor and so-so care is 750...you want a nice indoor, good care and turnout? $800 and up! MD looks AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    Basically, I think its the cost of land that keeps the boarding costs down. There's a lot more open farmland left in MD, even in close in areas of PG and Montgomery Counties.

The cost of living is also lower, so barn owners don't have to charge as much to pay the mortgage. I'm currently boarding at a nice place in Upper Marlboro with an indoor, great care and decent turnout for $530.
    This. I have spent nearly 9 years in this area and have run barns in Montgomery Co, MD (including very close in Potomac), Loudoun Co, VA, and now Frederick Co, MD (but barely Frederick...we're a mile from the Moco line). There is A LOT more ag space in Moco and Frederick and it is all very horse/ag friendly. Finding open space in NOVA is getting tougher and tougher, so every little spot comes with a premium. A lot easier to find nice facilities with both pasture and hacking in MD.

After having boarded in both, I would say that perhaps NOVA is slightly more, but not hugely. In MD I was in MoCo, a couple of years ago, at a large barn with a large indoor, f0r $530. Not horrible, but not cheap, IMO.

I also keep my horses is NY some, (mid stae, near NOTHING) and there (the land of horrible taxes) for a place comparable to the Moco one, is also $530.
    Another horse I have-no indoor, 300 acres of cross country-pasture board-NY, $275.

Va, when there this winter, what I found was that the closer you are, the more it is. The same that is true of land and housing.
    Farther out=cheaper. (unless, of course you are in Middleburg.) I drove 30 miles to the farm in Berryville, and paid $450 for full board, with an indoor. NOT a show barn tho, which I also think ups the price tag.
    "The only easy day was yesterday" USN SEALs
    courtesy of LCDR K.R.W, USN (ret) RIP, 4/10/09

We are in No VA, no indoor, and not fancy, but our board is $375/month.

I share your pain over here on the west coast. Everywhere outside the SF bay area is way bigger and way cheaper than what we have here on the peninsula.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

The prices above seem much lower than what I've experienced in NOVA. I've paid anywhere between $650 - $950 with no indoor. With an indoor is much more.

Like Yellowbritches mentioned, land is at a premium in NOVA. Not only is it more expensive to live there in general (closer to DC), but urban sprawl and development has created quite a tough situation in terms of finding (and keeping) land, especially land suitable for horse keeping.

I've lived in MD my whole life and have been aware of the differences in NOVA prices for quite some time. Some of the people I currently board with actually left VA boarding for MD due to the cost issue.

Southern MD is especially cheap, and there is still a lot of land available that is suitable for keeping horses (Prince George's County has a surprising amount- an interesting contrast to the high crime rates of that county). In MD, PG Co. is known for being 'horse country,' and many boarding farms are housed there. It's really only been in the last 5 years or so that developers have taken any notice to the land availabilities in PG, so [*knock on wood*] we will have low-cost land for years to come.

The farm I board with (link in my signature) offers full care and a large indoor for ~$530/month. And when I say full care, I mean all the hay the horses can eat, blanketing, stall cleaning twice a day, etc. (the list goes on)...

We also have ample turnout, an outdoor jumping ring, a 5/8 mile track, miles of trails, a *huge* indoor and large, matted stalls... again, the list goes on.

I don't think I would find what I currently have in NOVA for less than double what I'm paying now. Really, land prices, taxes and demand for acreage play a huge part in the cost paid by the boarders.

Come to MD! We'll give you more bang for your buck, *and* Reese The Beast will even give you his autograph
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post

Come to MD! We'll give you more bang for your buck, *and* Reese The Beast will even give you his autograph
    Lincoln wants Reese the Beast's autograph

I board at the facility mentioned by the OP. It IS nice, and it's a great value. That said, we're waaaay down in southern Md on essentially a peninsula. It really limits the number of customers seeing as how you go a few miles south, east, or west and you hit water. A lot of the boarders are employed by the nearby Navy base. Even just 45 minutes farther north and I bet the price would increase by $100+ a month for the same amenities.

I teach at a farm in St. Leonard, MD that is in Calvert County and only a 30 minute drive to the PG Eq. Center. We don't have an indoor, but do have a nice 140x280 outdoor with a full hunter course. Full care board is $325 and we are only an hour & half from shows like McDonogh, etc. Where I board my horse the board is only $300 for full care, but again no indoor. There are however some farms charging prices in this area that you would pay in NOVA.

I am from Maryland, and honestly, it just depends on where you are. AA county was not that cheap. I was in Mt Airy too, for a while, and it was pricey. Southern Maryland is much more reasonable.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

While So. MD might be cheap compared to NoVA (most places are), land here is actually fairly expensive for what you get. Most of the land around here has a clay base and does not make for good pasture. Yes, some land is cheap but that's usually because it is of limited value to developers because it will not perc, which means that it does not drain well and so is not too great for horses.

I know people who have moved from St. Mary's to the Northern Neck area of VA because they could not afford farm land here, and Calvert is even more expensive.

I have friends who board at the facility in the OP and it is probably the nicest place around here. The barn is beautiful and the indoor, though not huge, is a good size. Also, they feed nice quality hay and grain. But it is definitely not a show barn.

This is not an easy place to keep competition horses. Good shows and events usually require long trailer riders and are almost impossible to do in one day. We are over an hour to PGEC, which isn't too bad, but the place does get old.

Our vet is coming from over an hour away. She's great but we have to use another, more local, practice for emergencies. Good farriers are almost impossible to find. I love mine, but again he is about an hour away and only comes down to me because he feels sorry for me and my mare with her crappy TB feet. Every day when I bring the horses in from the pasture I'm holding my breath that no one has lost a shoe, since it's a major pain to get one reset.

It's also very difficult to find good trainers in this area. I trailer nearly two hours for hunter lessons which takes up the better part of a day, and with the price of diesel and a $12 bridge toll, it's killing me. My eventer friends also trailer over an hour for lessons.

So while I would not like to pay what my friends in No. Virginia pay for board (or land for those lucky enough to have their own places), I am envious of all the great horsie amenities they have access to.

Boarding prices are going to range GREATLY depending on the area of the country you live in. In general COASTAL living is much more expensive, taxes are sky high, in the case of New England almost everything is "imported" because there is very little agriculture/horticulture on anything other than a "hobby" size scale. The midwest is where all the food comes from, lols. Cost of living is lower, taxes are lower and the pay grade also tends to be lower. It's not really cheaper so to speak. Yes 600 a month may sound high for a coastal barn, but remember that if your making 60k a year its relative. If you are in the midwest and only making say 40k a year that 400 a month barn is still just as expensive. In generl many of the barns that seem "so much less expensive and just as nice" are not actually cheaper. In general people in those areas tend to make less money than people living in areas with 600 a month barns. In the end the cost is pretty much the same, relative to the cost of living/average income in the area.

Moving from PA to MD is a shock. Maryland IS expensive to have to care for and board a horse, so don't be fooled by that barn friend, I agree with others who say the east coast is pricey. In PA we paid $375 (SHOCKER!) for an almost brand new facility, big indoor, outdoor, trails, beautiful pastures, writing all of this makes me want to cry as my pony is leaving this place in two weeks. The barn search in Maryland has been hell. $650 for an indoor, run down barns and dirt pastures. If you want an indoor, you PAY for it in MD. In PA a lot of barns have an indoor, it's almost a requirement so it's no big deal, people expect it. Is there any GRASS left in Maryland for my pony, ANYWHERE?! Everywhere we looked was mud, dirt and grossness. We settled on a place, not looking forward to moving him there, the care will be fanstastic however pony will probably die in shock of going from rolling pastures to some bits of grass. Graduating from college and moving home would make it an hour and a half to current barn, not happening!
    The Branded Bear
    Personalized + creative saddle pads for the hunter/jumper enthusiast. Check us out