The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just an FYI about steel brake lines. I am not trying to flame anyone.

But, I am a junkmans daughter. I pretty much grew up around junk cars and my family usually had it pretty easy...

Think back 25 to 30 years ago. You bought a new car and drove it for say 75K miles. Traded it in for a another new car. Said trade in was resold for little to nothing and driven for anpother 25K miles if the purchaser is lucky. Cars were only intended to last 7 years!

Todays vehicles are built better but rust still happens. Think about warranties that are given out. No rust out for what is it, 5 years? Thats how long the manufacturers say your vehicle will last before having issues. We are getting more miles out of them, taking better care of them but still we cannot control chemical reactions (Ie rust). Even if your vehicles are garage kept you will get some rust. Add salt and you have a recipe for disaster.

I know cars/trucks are very expensive to buy and maintain and we as a consumer expect things to last forever.

Just the junkmans daughters two cents.

I thought I would bump this thread since I lost the brakes on my Chevy 2500 on Friday night.
    It was snowy and I was coming home from feeding horses where I was horse sitting. The anti-locks engaged as I came up to the stop sign. The truck came to a stop and the brake pedal went further to the floor than normal. I continued to the next stop sign but left myself lots of stopping distance since I obviously had not left enough distance at the previous stop.
    Good thing I did that since I had virtually no brakes. I was able to eventually get it stopped. I was at a 4 way stop sign with no traffic and only a 1/2 mile from home. I milked the truck home at 10 miles per hour.

When DH got under the truck, one of the brake lines between the ABS unit and the brake cylinder had split. They were both a bit corroded. He replaced both of those. There are three other brake lines he will replace soon.

Earlier in the week I rented a flatbed car carrier to bring home my Sebring that had broken down. Good thing I didn't have that behind me when the brake line split. Bad week for automobiles in my household.

So go check your Chevy/GMC brakelines for corrosion- especially if you live where they salt the roads in the winter.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

Default I'll add to your bump

I just had to replace my brake lines AGAIn after 16 months. SUPPOSEDLY when I asked them to replace the front and back lines after they FAILED..they didn't do the middle section. WTF? What I SAW with my OWN eyes was the area they replaced leaking again, but they ASSURED me it was a different place. So, I ponied up yet again to replace the damn things. Seriously considering a new pansy ass 2013 tow vehicle.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

2003 Suburban, replaced all the lines 2 years ago due to corrosion. Guy at the garage said it was because we parked on dirt instead of pavement.

Very scary. Keep driving, don't panic, downshift, and use your trailer brakes. If there is no traffic beside you, S turns can gain you precious feet if you really need them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    2003 Suburban, replaced all the lines 2 years ago due to corrosion. Guy at the garage said it was because we parked on dirt instead of pavement.
    probably more because you drive on salted streets in the winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Since my last post on this thread...

2004 Chev 'burban lost another brake line...no biggie as it happened in the driveway sometime around Thanksgiving. Did we knowabout the corrosion. Yu betchya as the old girl is such a rust rocket. Are there more corroded lines. yep. Will we coninue to drive it anyway, another yep. Tow with...no!

I live in the rust belt...salt is not my vehicles friend.

But to those of you who are concerned...brake lines rust. Always have, always will. Have your vehicles checked regularly...creeper boards are cheap. replace those lines if you are concerned.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

After this thread came up again, I went under my truck today to check. '01 chev 3500 on the road for 12 years and 208,000 miles now.

I never drive on the roads when salt is on them with our "newer" vehicles, and the brake lines still look fine. They do put brine on the roads a lot more than they used to around here, but it's still not that often, and I only drive an old beater on salt.

Dont forget Cavalier! Not a truck suv but my breaks corroded and the dealer almost had a lawsuit cuz stupid them repaired one side of the line and then the whole line blew as i was leaving! Now if i had made it to the road and got in a accident.... Lucky i was still in the reception garage, they sure looked smart when i told them as those police officers waited for thier car....

Cant wait for a new car( new used lol preferable audi)
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

I had the same problem on a 97 GMC Sierra. It was not uncommon on that model. I had the brake lines replaced in 06 when the mechanic was doing routine maintenance and noticed it.

He said he routinely checked the brake lines on GM trucks for corrosion, so the problem pre-dates 99.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"