The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer, Harlem, Augusta, Thomson, Ga

Looking for event trainer in Thomson, Washington, Augusta, Mcduffie County areas. Would like to start Novice Level eventing with my horse and looking for trainer in these areas. Know I could go to Aiken, Athens, but looking for someone closer. Does anyone have any ideas???

Renee Segree is the only event person I know of who operates in that area - I'm not sure where she is based out of, but I am pretty sure she does do lessons at Foxboro in Thompson. There is a very good jumper/hunter person, Nicole Palazzo, and I think a lot of event people use her for over fences education. Pretty much in that area you have to piece your instruction together - there are a handful of dressage people that travel from Aiken to teach in the area, and I think therefore there are *some* Aiken area instructors who make the drive for occasional schools at Pine Top, etc, but really Aiken is your best bet for any regular eventing instruction.

Hope this helps! It's my impression that there just aren't that many choices (in regards to the Augusta to Harlem region, not sure about Washington, etc), and only a handful of good quality instructors in these areas.
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

There are quite a few phenomenal trainers in the Aiken area. Many of us are willing to travel to surrounding areas, as well on occassion. Laura Wagner is a dressage coach that teaches in Grovetown (I think) regularly. With a background in eventing, she coaches several event riders on the flat in the area. Jodi Hemry of Marrinson Stables is in Edgefield, about 20 minutes from Augusta and has competed successfully through the 2* level. I know a couple other eventers in Augusta, one of which kept her horse at my house and competed my UL gelding, but as in her case, nearly all ride in Aiken or the surrounding area.
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

Lellie Ward is in Aiken - her lovely Paradise Farm is a destination USEA event for the eventers wintering in the South ( www.paradisefarmaiken.com) , and I know several of the eventers at Pine Top Farm train with Simon Eades who is also in Aiken...you're in a fantastic location!

WELCOME!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Mary Bess Sigman is in Covington - her farm is very close to I 20.. don't know how close that is to you... She's great!

Thanks very, very much for this info, guys!! I will be making some phone calls. I've got a 7 y.o. mare who is a little stride limited for the hunters, does the low adult jumpers very well, cute as can be, very brave and I think just think she would really like this. So, want to give it a try.

Mary Bess is closer to the Athens area. I don't know of anyone in the East Georgia area, but in Aiken you've got Lellie Ward, who is super. She not only can ride anything she sits on, she's a super trainer.

I third Lellie and second Mary Bess. Lellie has a clinic coming up at her farm over Memorial Day weekend. Four days of lessons; pick one or more days to attend. In addition to Lellie being AWESOME; the ladies that ride with her a wonderful fun group to hand out with and become friends with as well!