The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default more eventing lingo - riding while blonde?

Wofford's analysis of each Rolex runner, particularly Tiana Coudray, says that she gained experience at the advanced level but also got a ticket for Riding While Blonde. The exact article and quote are in the link...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/tiana-coudray

I know you can get penalized at lower levels (maybe upper levels too) for going too fast in xc... is this what he's talking about?

I think Jimmy uses this phrase pretty regularly. Just means that you made a stupid mistake (being blonde, just like the jokes in the non-horse world) and paid for it. Speeding tickets are stops I think.

It's not eventing specific lingo-- just Jimmy specific lingo!

ooook! I get it now.. didn't think of it that way before (my brain is slowly thinking more eventer less H/J). Based on the rest of his comments, he seems a bit like a character.

Quote Originally Posted by hydro101 View Post
    Based on the rest of his comments, he seems a bit like a character.

Just a bit.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
    Facebook page

He is a funny guy! He wrote (writes?) amazing books and is super awesome to clinic with. If he ever comes even remotely close to you for a clinic, DO IT! He is basically the god of eventing-- kind of like how GM is to hunter/jumpers but much nicer.

Being a hunter princess and GM lackey I can say after doing the Rolex course walk with Wofford I am in love, the guy is hilarious, fun and LOVELY.

No PC with Jimmy, bless him. Even non-horse people find him a hoot.

Honestly I find his fishing stories on his blog a hoot too... hahha... I love him! I dont even like fishing
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Haha, gotta love Jimmy. I wonder what he'd say if he ever saw one of my XC trips... "riding while ginger"? lol
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Possibly because I AM blonde and get accused of it on a regular basis, I may be so familiar with blonde jokes that I can't remember- but did this phrase settle into Jimmy's vocab before or after Bettina Hoy's epic blonde moment in show jumping in Athens? I feel like it was after, but I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    but did this phrase settle into Jimmy's vocab before or after Bettina Hoy's epic blonde moment in show jumping in Athens? I feel like it was after, but I'm not so sure.
    What exactly was her epic blonde moment? (JC!)

I think my favorite from him on the rolex roster preview:

Jimmy's Prediction: I usually say something rude about Buck because he thinks he rides better when he is a little mad. However, this year I will just ignore him; he has as much chance of winning this year’s Rolex as Tiger Woods has of winning this year’s Masters.

She was in the lead, went through the start flags in show jumping then circled away and THEN came back for her approach to the first fence. She went on to jump an impressive round and would have won, if it had not been for the epic blonde moment. It was a HUGE ordeal/scandal as not only was her medal in jeopardy, so was her team's. She lost it in arbitration, Leslie Law moved up from silver to gold. There are some technical details that I don't really remember, but it was probably the all time worst "riding while blonde" moment.

She was in the lead, went through the start flags in show jumping then circled away and THEN came back for her approach to the first fence. She went on to jump an impressive round and would have won, if it had not been for the epic blonde moment. It was a HUGE ordeal/scandal as not only was her medal in jeopardy, so was her team's. She lost it in arbitration, Leslie Law moved up from silver to gold. There are some technical details that I don't really remember, but it was probably the all time worst "riding while blonde" moment.
    OH wow... in my experience with the jumpers, the gates are set preeetty close (relatively) to the fence..to get to the point more-or-less where your guy would 'lock on' and then to circle... interesting.

Happens I guess. There was a veteran male rider/horse that went 'off course' in his dressage test at Rolex this year which the female commentator said was very uncharacteristic/("blonde").

Happens I guess. There was a veteran male rider/horse that went 'off course' in his dressage test at Rolex this year which the female commentator said was very uncharacteristic/("blonde").
    That was Boyd Martin. Forgot to circle after first lateral work
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    That was Boyd Martin. Forgot to circle after first lateral work
    ooops!

My non horsie SO went to his first horse show with me two weeks ago. It was a CT so he watched a bunch of "prancing" (aka: dressage)

At this particular show there were several riders who errored in dressage.

SO said, "I don't get how you can get lost... This one girl was supposed to do a figure 8 and she did an "L" instead.

I love his lingo. I tell him the proper term but then follow up the conversation with "but I think your description is much better. Keep saying it your way".

he also likes the dark brown horses with "black socks".
    he wants me to ALWAYS wear my "life vest" when I jump.
    and he really wants to ride the donkey but he's afraid Donkey will "buck him" and then "tromp him".

I love it.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    ooops!

I love his lingo. I tell him the proper term but then follow up the conversation with "but I think your description is much better. Keep saying it your way".

and he really wants to ride the donkey but he's afraid Donkey will "buck him" and then "tromp him".

I love it.

Excactly! My horses wear "jackets", and the purple rambo with the silver reflective trim produced: "Why is Alison wearing a Jackie Joyner Kersey outfit?"

this is all true, but i have it on excellent authority that she wouldn't have won Gold and the German team won individual Gold anyway, even without that error, because there was a positive drug test of 1 of their horses. This came direct from a top official...
    She would have been the first woman to win Indiv Olympic Gold... considering how many GREAT female event riders there have been, I find this factoid astonishing...

purple,

As for Boyd, I saw his error in dressage (someone posted the link to his test on my FB feed, I am FB friends with him), and um, isn't HE kind of blond? (Without the "e" at the end, being that he's a he.)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    ooops!

My non horsie SO went to his first horse show with me two weeks ago. It was a CT so he watched a bunch of "prancing" (aka: dressage)

At this particular show there were several riders who errored in dressage.

SO said, "I don't get how you can get lost... This one girl was supposed to do a figure 8 and she did an "L" instead.

I love it.
    Love it! One of my brothers refers to polo wraps as "socks" while the other calls dressage "fancy dancing BS" and will only watch "real jumping" (Rolex XC--stadium isn't legit because they don't go fast enough). It's amusing being the only horsey one in the family

Mr asterix (who has gotten more horsey than he would admit) thinks horse colors are ridiculous -- greys are mostly white, and pretty much all the rest of them are some variety of "brown."

He never passes up an opportunity to say, when someone asks "which horse is yours" ..."the brown one," rolling his eyes and smirking, which of course is totally lost on the questioner.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother