The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Honoring Mukluk, my best kitty.

Hi all. My most best kitty Mukluk has CRF (diagnosed in 2008) she fought a good fight but is declining. I have had her since she was a nursing kitten. My vet and I agreed to put her down next weekend (May 13 or 14)- it's her time to go. I love her and will miss her terribly- but there will be great relief in knowing that she is no longer suffering. So I want her to have her best end days. Lot's of yummy cat treats. Plenty of time rolling in the dirt and eating grass. Lots of catnip. Any other ideas to for the best end days for my baby? The vet will be putting her down at my home- I don't want her to have to go to the vet again- she hates that. I also have her momma and sister and think it would be best for them to know she is gone. What have people done to commemorate the loss of their beloved pet? It's so sad for me but it is her time. Thanks for any ideas, kind words, etc.

I'm so sorry Mukluk. The only other thing I can think of is lots of love and scratches which I'm sure you are already doing.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Such a sad time. Hugs to you and Godspeed to your kitty.

When my doberman died many years ago, I buried him with his favorite blanket and his frisbee.
    Sorry about your kitty. I do love kitties, but with 9 dogs I have to be satisified with 1 wary/smart barn kitty.

Default no real advice

just give her love and scritches. My two kitties are in a bit of decline as is the old dog, but just do the best you can for her and release her.
    sending you heartfelt [[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]
    Another killer of threads

I'm so sorry.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Thanks so much everyone. I am very very sad to lose her but relieved that she won't be suffering any more. I will miss her so much.

Hugs to you (tears falling)....Mukluk is a lucky girl. I've lost 3 dogs in the last yr, and am eyeing my ancient kitteh, and although he's great at the moment, my heart gladdens every time he yowls at me to feed him (6x/day, minimum)...as hard as these days are for you, they are wonderful for your Mukluk because she has your full attention and love. There is no greater gift.

I LOVE that name-how'd you come by it?

so sorry to hear that, hugs

I split a Quarterpounder with my best kitteh buddy before we parted ways...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I'm so sorry. I'm glad you are doing it at home, she will be much more relaxed in her own environment. Such a hard thing to do, I feel for you.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Thank you for being such a caring and compassionate animal owner. Mukluk and family are extremely lucky to have you!

I think my cats' version of paradise would be a few empty cardboard boxes, a new scratching pad (one of those corrugated cardboard ones), a steady flow of catnip, a can of tuna, and constant brushing. It would also help if some of the cardboard boxes were chock full of packing peanuts. Jumping into a box full of packing peanuts can't be beat!

Thanks so much to all who have posted. It is our last week together. She will be gone by this time next week : ( I am very very sad to lose her but I just can't see her continuing to live the way she is. She still loves her tuna and purrs- but she is so thin and per the vet she isn't going to get better. It really is time. Someone asked how she got her name. Well nine years ago, I took in a Mama kitty and her two nursing kittens as foster cats destined to go to other homes. At first I was very aware that they were not my cats and were just with me temporarily. At the time you had to take the cats somewhere every weekend so folks could meet them and hopefully adopt them. I dutifully did this for several weeks. But I felt rather possessive when someone seemed to "like" any of these kitties. Well Mama kitty got ringworm so she had to stay home for a few weeks (as did the babies). That was the beginning of the end because I started thinking of them as my cats and really bonding with them. I had been referring to them as mama kitty, light grey kitty, and dark grey kitty. I was holding dark grey kitty one day and noticed that her feet were jet black- which somehow make me think of dirty mukluks- hence the name Mukluk (Mukie for short). Her sister, light grey kitty, basically named herself Stinkerbelle (for various and sundry reasons including that she liked to play in the litter box as a kitten). Mama kitty has very beautiful green eyes and really cute bi-color feet (grey and white) so her name is Esmerelda Paint Paw (Essie for short). Well then I couldn't imagine anyone else having those kitties except for me! Anyway at least I will still have the other two. Mukluk is very special to me- she's my baby. I am spoiling her as much as I can before it is time to say goodbye. My heart goes out to anyone who has ever lost a pet. It is such a heart breaking experience. Grief is the price we pay for love. It does help a lot to read the responses to this thread. I'll keep you posted on how things go.