The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sheltie love, anybody?

I've been following the Corgi thread with interest, since I have a soft spot for Corgis, and want to see your Sheltie photos! I have two wonderful barn dogs, Emma and Austin, who are both therapy dog certified and make great barn dogs, as they have a very healthy respect for horses. What struck me was
    that a lot of people who have met my two Shelties tend to say that they "used to have a Sheltie" or that they have "always wanted one". So, show me your Sheltie pics! Personally, I don't think there's anything cuter than a Sheltie puppy.

Here is my little girl, Emma, with her favorite stuffed dog: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/13188...53515467mkQgVs

Emma as a puppy (I have no idea how she got on this side of the gate which is supposed to separate the litter box from her): http://pets.webshots.com/photo/13188...53515467SPcoyG

Now it's your turn!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Your little girl is precious!!!

I had a rescue Sheltie named Jack at a teenager. I showed him in junior handlers, agility, and obedience. He was *such* a wonderful dog.

Jack! circa 2004 or so
    STARVING sheltie
    Easter 2006
    Junior handlers (I think this was right after I got him, around 2000? I look so young...)
    My wonderful old man- a portrait from the day before he passed away last spring

I cannot WAIT until I am able to get another dog. I've already picked out the breeder I want my next Sheltie from, and I torture myself on a regular basis looking at the dogs they have available.

I'm one of the corgi people, but I love Shelties. My sister lost her old girl this winter at age 13. I loved her like she was my own dog.

They are really sweet dogs, and have the similar "busybody" traits that corgis have. (Must be a herding thing!)
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

eventer_mi is offline Our Lady of Perpetual Novice
    Original Poster

Jack is gorgeous! lovely color on him, and he isn't your typical "weedy" Sheltie you see these days. I do have another sheltie, but he isn't quite as photogenic as Emma. And yes, she's a busybody and VERY bossy.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    Jack is gorgeous! lovely color on him, and he isn't your typical "weedy" Sheltie you see these days. I do have another sheltie, but he isn't quite as photogenic as Emma. And yes, she's a busybody and VERY bossy.
    Oh yeah, Jack was a BIG boy (17" and 40 lbs). He also didn't have much of the busybody factor, and wasn't skittish like a lot of Shelties out there. But he had the barking and compulsive herding in spades.

The mahogany sable color really grew on me. It was always weird that (by virtue of being a true sable, not a tri) his undercoat was brown... which meant most of the hair that came off him when he was brushed was light brown. (<-- I could get that much hair off of him on a weekly basis. He apparently didn't get the "shelties are supposed to blow their coat twice a year" memo.)

I definitely prefer a dog with more substance. When I'm ready to get a dog, my plan is to hunt down a breeder looking to rehome a big, handsome older puppy. Specifically, one who was intended to be grown out as a show dog but went oversize.

Original Poster

Alison - that's hysterical. And poor Jack looks no smaller than he did in the "before" picture, although a bit more humbled.

My two are at the opposite ends of what's considered acceptable by breed standards - Austin is around 40 pounds, and Emma is about 27.

Nobody else has Shelties? How sad.

I have 1 1/2 shelties actually - both are rescues. Pretty sure the old man is all sheltie (he's 16) , and my 'younger' guy is half sheltie and half border collie.

My old boy Murph has been doing okay, but has been having a tougher time lately. He still cleans up his meals, and is not in pain, but he's deaf and I think his sight is starting to go. His balance is also not great because of a bad vestibular episode 2 years ago. But he still plays and seems happy enough. I don't take him out to the barn anymore, but he was always good around the horses. He totally 'got' that it was NOT okay to chase them after I corrected him the first time.

My 2 guys used to herd each other around the house. Pretty funny when you realize what they're doing ...

I have what is probably the world's largest Sheltie --- Harry Potter, a mahogany sable who weighs close to 70 lbs (although I'm fairly sure that 50 lbs of it is hair). He's a rescue, was dumped out in a neighboring country. He looks far more Sheltie than Collie (doesn't have a Collie head at all), but there's some question that he could be Collie with a little Border Collie in the woodshed. Will chase balls all day long. Has been doing well in obedience and showing. #1 goofball, and cute as can be. I agree that I like the Shelties with substance --- some are so small now they are like toys!

My childhood dog was a Sheltie. Sorry, everyone, but she was clearly the BEST dog EVER.

This is me torturing her with my pet frog, when I was around 10 (?): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../DaisyFrog.jpg

And when we first brought her home as a tiny puppy, I think I was about 6 years old:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...yBug-a-Boo.jpg

The tiny brown thing in my arms is the 18-year-old Yorkshire Terrier we had at the time

Original Poster

Cita - that is hysterical. They are such incredibly patient dogs, no?

Donk and Roxy - pictures! I wanna see!