The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Showing in hot weather, tips/advice please?!

We've had an extreme spike in temps here in CA, going from a nice comfortable mid-70's to mid to upper 80's. I'm going to a one day HT this weekend and want to make sure my horse stays as comfortable as possible.

Generally, this show schedules a good break between dressage and the jumping phases, but the stadium and x-country rounds are usually close together. I want to be careful with this extra warm weather, so please share any ideas for keeping my horse happy and as cool as possible.

She keeps herself well hydrated now, but should I maybe start adding salt to her feed for the next few days? I will bring electrolytes with me as well.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I'd probably just add electrolites that day.

You'll probably be fine if the horse is in shape, and it's not super humid. Just limit your warm up to what is needed. Loosen girth and try to find a shady spot and offer water in between events. Cold hose, scrape, cold hose, scrape til cool when done for the day. Offer water when done riding, and while cooling out.

Good Luck!

Looks like you are in Northern California... Temperatures are suppose to drop 10 degrees for the weekend.

Don't forget to take care of yourself... lots of water and/or a sports drink and sunscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I'd probably just add electrolites that day.

You'll probably be fine if the horse is in shape, and it's not super humid. Just limit your warm up to what is needed. Loosen girth and try to find a shady spot and offer water in between events. Cold hose, scrape, cold hose, scrape til cool when done for the day. Offer water when done riding, and while cooling out.

Good Luck!
    Thanks, this is what I was thinking, I guess I just needed some re-assurance since it's our first outing of the year other than a schooling show and a mock hunt. I appreciate your assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    Looks like you are in Northern California... Temperatures are suppose to drop 10 degrees for the weekend.
    Yes, in NorCal, but heading down to Paso Robles for the show where it's supposed to be a bit hotter on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    Don't forget to take care of yourself... lots of water and/or a sports drink and sunscreen.
    Good point, thank you! Horse always comes first but thanks for the remainder to take care of myself so I can take of my horse!!

Considering I am in the humidity capital of the world (DC metro area) AND I event, which, in this area, means we run almost exclusively one day events, and do it is some brutal weather (I don't event in July and August because of it!) I am an expert at this.

The best things you can do are to keep water in front of her, electrolytes in her feed if she'll eat them, use COLD water to wash her off, and keep her in the shade when you aren't riding. If you are working out of your trailer, put her back in it, don't leave her tied to the side. Keep as many windows and doors open as you can so she can get a cross breeze. It can be remarkably cooler in the trailer than standing out in the sun baking (we often put our chairs in the middle of our big head to head trailer so WE can have the shade, too!).

For the short time between the jumping phases I would suggest one of two things, if there is enough time. If you can get back to the trailer quickly and easily, stop by on the way, offer her some water and splash some cold water on her in key areas (on her head, chest, and especially up between her hind legs by her girly parts and under her tail- those last two have LOTS of blood vessels, so if you get some cold on her there, it will help get her cooler). If you can't stop by the trailer, hopefully you'll have a friend who can take some water up for her for a quick sip and splash (my horses almost NEVER drink between phases...I think they are usually too keyed up).

Now, if it is "only" in the 80s, you may not need to be THAT aggressive (though, if you aren't used to temps in the 80s, it can feel brutal). We typically do this if we're up in the 90s with high humidity. Otherwise, we don't typically have to be quite so aggressive and just go straight to xc without stopping.

Don't forget to drink and eat yourself! "Pre-hydrate" the night before by drinking LOTS of water (you should get up once or twice in the night to pee!), eat a good dinner, and drink like crazy during the day. If you FEEL thirsty, then you are already dehydrated. Being hot and dehydrated does not help your horse, so take care of yourself as you are taking care of her.

On Par Guest

I prettymuch second everyone else. Horses can take a lot more than we give them credit for, so don't freak out if she doesn't want to drink between rounds. I live in Louisiana, where's it's also very hot and humid. My horses barely break a sweat at most shows, although (granted), I don't show cross-country.

Scuse me while I laugh/cry at the fact 80 degrees is hot. When you hit 100 we'll call it hot. OTOH though I always put 2 or 3 gatorade's in the freezer the night before a show. For the darling horse Electrolytes are your best bet and we do that for ours even for a one day show under shade. Supermodel is a typical Endurance arab in the fact she will drink from anything including black buckets and puddles. Pony on the other hand is picky and will only drink from HIS blue bucket that has his name on it and you have to hold it. He also likes you to put a CapriSun in it and prefers it to be lemon flavored. (If he wasn't this picky I would wonder if he was a pony!) Just know what your horse will drink out of and go from there. Know your horse's rest rate and proper cool out and you'll be just fine.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by leilatigress View Post
    Scuse me while I laugh/cry at the fact 80 degrees is hot. When you hit 100 we'll call it hot.
    LOL, I wasn't quite clear when I posted, as we do get many days of 100+ heat out here. What I meant was we have had such mild temperatures lately, so 86 is hot compared to how the weather has been the past few weeks!

1. Soak her hay for extra hydration starting the night before.

2. Only use electrolytes/salt if you're %100 there will be enough water available (I can't imagine that there wouldn't be).

3. I never put cold cold water on a hot horse. That can throw them into shock, especially if it runs over where the kidneys are for too long. I prefer body temperature or slightly cooler accompanied with sweat scraper.

Good luck!

You'll be fine. Just make sure everyone has plenty of water and shade and breaks.

I grew up showing around Sacramento and am now in the bay area. I LOVE the weather this week! 110 would be hot. Anything in the double digits is no biggie.

I've actually had more issues with myself getting dehydrated! If you come home and are nauseous and seeing spots, you didn't drink enough water.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

80 or 100 might not be that hot for us, but we're talking about a 1,000+ lb working animal whose optimum temperature is a hell of a lot less than that. Considering the spike in the weather, I applaud the OP for her concern for her horse. I don't know how weather sensitive the horse is, but 10 degrees is enough to effect any horse at least somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousMarie View Post
    3. I never put cold cold water on a hot horse. That can throw them into shock, especially if it runs over where the kidneys are for too long. I prefer body temperature or slightly cooler accompanied with sweat scraper.

!
    That's a myth that was disproven at studies during the Olympics in Atlanta. New research indicates that hosing with cold water and scrapin, repeating until water is cool is the best way to cool out a hot horse. Also, offering them water frequently while cooling out is better for them, than withholding water til cool.

That's a myth that was disproven at studies during the Olympics in Atlanta. New research indicates that hosing with cold water and scrapin, repeating until water is cool is the best way to cool out a hot horse. Also, offering them water frequently while cooling out is better for them, than withholding water til cool.
    I never said withhold water until they are cool, I've never believed in that.
    I saw a horse go into a paralytic attack at a show when the rider used really cold water on him.

We put ice water (literally water with ice floating in it) with rubbing alcohol in it all over the horses at FEI events. I has been clearly proven to be the best method to help the horse recover in the hold box and after cross country. It is absolutely the standard in high performance eventing

The best thing I've found for those hot days is to hose, scrape, hose, scrape BEFORE the ride. Instead of getting sweaty by the end of a short warmup, they are just drying off. Of course, mine are already sweaty just standing around when I start doing that. It gets murderously hot here.

I never said withhold water until they are cool, I've never believed in that.
    I saw a horse go into a paralytic attack at a show when the rider used really cold water on him.
    The horse may have been tying up, but that has nothing to do with cold water on a hot horse. Please look up the studies, if you don't believe me, but you really should be cooling off a hot horse with COLD water, and scraping/repeating...not body temp water.

The horse may have been tying up, but that has nothing to do with cold water on a hot horse. Please look up the studies, if you don't believe me, but you really should be cooling off a hot horse with COLD water, and scraping/repeating...not body temp water.
    He wasn't "tying up".

Clearly we have different opinions and that's fine, I'm not looking for a fight. I was just saying what I do. Like I said I'm not trying to argue.

Jetsmom is right. They did lots of studies prior to Atlanta. It is just fine to pour ice water on a hot horse. They will not have a paralytic attack... I'm not saying that you didn't see what you saw, AnonymousMarie, but rather that the two things might not have been related in the way you think they were... also a horse's body temperature at rest is about 100.5 which is not a hell of a lot less then 100.