The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trixsyn--canine formula used for cats?

My cat just started on feline Trixsyn a couple of weeks ago and will probably stay on this long term (assuming that it works as well as the vet says ). I was looking at my options for purchase and feline Trixsyn is ~$30/month for a concentration that is 4mg/ml, daily dose 1ml twice daily. Canine Trixsyn appears to be in higher concentrations and would be MUCH cheaper over the long run. Has anyone done this?

I've been hit with a multitude of horse and now cat vet bills in the last few months and if I could save even a little every month that would be great. FWIW, cat is also on Dasuquin and a veterinary diet for joint support. Our next step will either be gabapentin (assuming local compounding pharmacy can do a liquid) or Cerenia. If anyone has opinions on either option, they would be welcomed.

Oh, and in case anyone is worried, I worked in retail pharmacy and IV pharmacy for about 9 years so I'm not worried about calculating dosages. I know some people aren't math whizzes, but it's second nature now...
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I don't know the product but apparantly it is just HA. So unless there is a carrier/inert substance issue that would be problem for cats, there shouldn't be problem.

What is with the gabapentin and/or cerenia? 2 very different drugs. And not related to joints at all.

Gabapentin will block pain receptors. Cerenia has shown similar effects as well but this is an off-label usage. Cerenia is apparently largely side effect free (yay!) while gabapentin can cause drowsiness--which would be great because my cat is, oddly enough, sleep-deprived. We did a couple of arthritis clinical trials at NC State and her activity monitor collar thingie showed that she wasn't getting the extended sleep that she should be. And is probably a cycle with the inflammation not resolving, etc.

We did the metacam trial and she had a great response (of course), but we're reserving that to final option due to renal effects. She's 12, but has the kidneys of a kitten and I'd like to keep it that way.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

buy a horse version of HA. A small bottle of horse HA would probably last for a year for a cat and cost almost nothing per day.

Wendy--I thought of that and it's actually a darn good idea. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work unless the taste would be odd. But then again, the volume should be tiny, so might not be a big deal...

Have you considered Adequan injections for your kitty?
    Look into Duralactin too.

FWIW, there's a new NSAID coming onto the market soon for kitties to essentially replace metacam. We'll see is all I have to say...