The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jumper colors for a chestnut? (Breyer question)

I am making a jumping tack set for a model horse. My customer asked for brown leather, and everything else was up to me.

It needs to be able to work for jumpers and cross country. So I'm making a flash nose band, elastic breast collar, running martingale and leather open front boots. But I'm not sure what to do for the paddle pad color.

I was thinking since it's a chestnut, that hunter green would be nice. But what about with gold piping? I have some metallic gold cord that looks great as piping. I also have used it in a brow band before for a little sparkle. Would that look ok to have gold sparkly brow band with hunter/gold pad? would the gold and hunter look Christmassy?

It's so hard to make decisions. If you have any other ideas that I should change in the tack too let me know

Thanks!

If I had a chestnut that was a jumper I'd probably buy an antares martingale (navy with greyish white stripes) and matching navy saddle pad. Although finding mini antares elastic could be problematic!

Gold and green look really nice on chestnuts too. I don't think that would look too christmasey. I think you would be more likely to see green in eventing than in the jumper ring so it depends which your customer is leading towards.

I like navy on chestnuts.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Green and gold would look fine, IMO.
    I think a figure-eight noseband would look awesome, but not sure if that's okay for cross country..?
    No running out. No refusals.
    The only options are over, under, or through

Figure eights are fine for cross country - most people at our barn use them. Open front boots are not okay for xc, though. XC boots need to offer protection all around. You also don't really see leather boots for xc - you CAN use them, but they'd get ruined.

I think chestnuts look good in green too.

Agreed, I think hunter/gold would look smashing, as well as navy. When my pony makes his jumper ring debut, I plan on getting him gussied up in either navy, or just plain old boring white. It matches his bling.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by fine*and*dandy View Post
    Figure eights are fine for cross country - most people at our barn use them. Open front boots are not okay for xc, though. XC boots need to offer protection all around. You also don't really see leather boots for xc - you CAN use them, but they'd get ruined.

I think chestnuts look good in green too.
    Oh yea I forgot about that. Hmm. are brushing boots seen in jumpers much?

She only paid for one set of boots, other wise I would make 2 sets of boots.

I think I will go with hunter with gold piping, gold on the brow band. Or Navy with silver piping and silver on the brow band.

I can't find navy elastic, it was hard enough to find the right width, and I found that at a $1store in Japan

Thanks for everyones thoughts!

Jumpers are not seen in brushing boots very much. Open fronts or nothing usually. Although, if it is an eventer then they might not mind brushing boots, but not something you'll often see at a jumper only show.

I like hunter green or navy for chestnuts. The gold piping on the hunter pad sounds great.

Another vote for the green and gold, sounds like you are doing awesome.