The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default American Pickers - William Shatner's Office (Yes, it's HR!)

Did anyone catch "American Pickers" last night? (Season 2, Episode 4, "They Boldly Go" from 2/14/2011 air date - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex9en_wy1Xc )

The guys were given the task of finding various items for William Shatner's (and his wife's) farmhouse in Kentucky (IMDB: "He and his wife live in Southern California; they also own a 360-acre horse farm in Kentucky") for their office.

Yep, it's horse-related. The office was awesome upon completion (after the pickers brought some items, and the decorator put them together.)

I *thought* William Shatner was a horseperson, but I couldn't remember...until last night. (IMDB: "Breeds and shows American Saddlebreds and Quarter Horses." I'm sure many of you knew that though.)

They had a beautiful dark wood trophy case full of silver platters, chargers, and trophies from equestrian competitions, ribbons won, photos of riders, etc. The pickers also purchased some old ribbons not won by either Shatner. The pickers had found hat stands, and on top of them were Derby hats, a jockey helmet, etc.

I also learned that Shatner, every year, hosts a charity horse show.

Needless to say, the room was amazing when completed!
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

William Shatner has been very active in American Saddlebreds for years. I believe he also has reining horses.

Ahh, Captain Kirk was my first love. In the show he was a horseman too. There are a couple of episodes and even a movie where William Shatner rides. Capt. Pikard also rides in the Next Generation series. Sorry, I wander into geek land way too easily.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Patrick Stewart on a horse, that sounds YUMMY!!

There is even a "William Shatner Western Pleasure Class" for SBs

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Bill is an avid horse person. I first met him and (then wife) Marcie at ASB shows in Cali. They had some very nice horses which they sued each other about later when they divorced. He is active at the Hollywood Charity Show (if they still have it) at Griffith Park. He competed on his SB's in trail classes and reining..and I would not be surprised that he has QH reiners also. The charity show usually features a celebrity class (one time they did team penning,lol) and there is a generous mix of celebs that ride great and those that are learning.. fun times.
    Lovely man, awesome sense of humor.. gotta love any celeb that doesn't take themselves too seriously (but then all the Sci Fi people I have met are ironically very down to Earth)

Quote Originally Posted by jumpytoo View Post
    They had some very nice horses which they sued each other about later when they divorced.
    I remember the year that was going on. At the KSF Bill won his class (I think it was the gaited pleasure championship) and Marcy placed down the ribbons. There was a polite ripple of applause when he won, and a standing ovation when she left the ring with her lower ribbon.

Liz's Standardbred, All Glory, was also the Celebration Horse for BreyerFest last year. Both Liz & Bill made an appearance at the event (Liz autographed the portrait models of All Glory) and did a driving/riding exhibition which was fun.

My dad watched that episode of American Pickers when it was new, and if I remember correctly, he said he saw the All Glory model on a bookshelf in one of the shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/appaloo...n/photostream/
    (that should be a pic of the model)
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDreamRides View Post
    Liz's Standardbred, All Glory, was also the Celebration Horse for BreyerFest last year. Both Liz & Bill made an appearance at the event (Liz autographed the portrait models of All Glory) and did a driving/riding exhibition which was fun.

My dad watched that episode of American Pickers when it was new, and if I remember correctly, he said he saw the All Glory model on a bookshelf in one of the shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/appaloo...n/photostream/
    (that should be a pic of the model)
    Yup - there was an All Glory model on the top of his trophy case, and it had a bunch of autographs all over the box. They just quickly panned over some things since the emphasis was on items the pickers had, er, "picked."

I just found some videos on YouTube of Shatner driving one of his ASBs and riding in a charity reining event.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

My understanding is that Shatner got Patrick Stewart interested in horses.

I am sure Shatner was riding one of his own saddlebreds in the Star Trek movie with Stewart.

And of course, there's the Star Trek Next Generation episode where Stewart as Captain Picard has his own saddle, which he is going to ride with. Guess no one told him the saddle also has to fit the horse ... but then a replicated horse could just be programmed to fit the saddle, I suppose!

Sadly, the ship is attacked by criminals and he never gets to use it.

yes, Bill got Patrick interested in horses and also in wearing panty hose under the breeches to prevent chafing, when they had those horseback riding scenes in the star trek movie "Generations".

I find it funny that even though Bill and his wives have made California their main home for decades, Bill still proclaims that he's a Canadian when he meets one of us.
    Fun guy who treats his horses well and is friendly and down to earth. Gotta love really famous people who changed the world and still don't take themselves seriously...
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I have to wonder about the story he got Stewart interested, as Captain Picard goes riding on the holodeck in a VERY early episode of Next Generation, long before they made the movie. (The horse in that case was a gray that looks like an Arab or Arab cross, and it lead to one of my Fridge Logic moments--why, when he's interrupted, does Picard tie the horse before leaving the holodeck? It's a holodeck. It's a fake horse. All he has to do is say "Computer, freeze program" and the horse isn't going anywhere. Yes, I realize there are no such thing as holodecks and it was a real exterior shot with a real horse but come on.)

Quote Originally Posted by kinnip View Post
    Ahh, Captain Kirk was my first love. In the show he was a horseman too. There are a couple of episodes and even a movie where William Shatner rides. Capt. Pikard also rides in the Next Generation series. Sorry, I wander into geek land way too easily.
    The horse Shatner was riding is a registered Saddlebred, who has since done well in the showring too, Western Pleasure or huntseat, cannot remember which. (horse was sold to someone else after the movie)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I noticed one of the ribbons was from the Auburn Horse Show(Auburn, Indiana). I remember it as a kid, don't know if it's still around or not.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I have to wonder about the story he got Stewart interested, as Captain Picard goes riding on the holodeck in a VERY early episode of Next Generation, long before they made the movie. (The horse in that case was a gray that looks like an Arab or Arab cross, and it lead to one of my Fridge Logic moments--why, when he's interrupted, does Picard tie the horse before leaving the holodeck? It's a holodeck. It's a fake horse. All he has to do is say "Computer, freeze program" and the horse isn't going anywhere. Yes, I realize there are no such thing as holodecks and it was a real exterior shot with a real horse but come on.)
    Old lessons from that century's French version of Pony Club die hard? I remember that episode. I vaguely remember that Stewart had a halfway decent seat and simple change on him, didn't seem like a novice rider.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I saw it not knowing it would be horse related. It was a nice surprise. My husband loves that show, so we always watch it.

Patrick Stewart did riding for the movie Lady Jane, or something like that, long before the Star Trek gig.

I've seen William Shatner at several quarter horse shows over the years. He is not known for great arena ettiquette in the warm up. At one show in Orange County, his horse ran a nice pattern, even with some "butt slapping stops", but Mr. Shatner lost his hat during the run. The hat had one of those feathered hatbands a la Dallas. When the gate man ran out to pick up the hat for Mr. Shatner, the announcer cautioned him to be careful and not wake up the bird that was sleeping on the hat.

Per the LA Equestrian Center's website, William Shatner's Charity Event was last night!

http://la-equestriancenter.com/calendar.php?y=2010&m=

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    The horse Shatner was riding is a registered Saddlebred, who has since done well in the showring too, Western Pleasure or huntseat, cannot remember which. (horse was sold to someone else after the movie)
    That was his mare, Great Bells of Fire.
    Now I'm showing my inner geek

I was thinking he rode his Western Pleasure gelding TJ for the movie. Isn't TJ the horse he rode in the Tournament of Roses parade?
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

This is his saddlebred Bells in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXfudZK1DEQ

The comment left below has the name of another saddlebred of his, but its not correct. Hate to admit I have the article at home with the interview where he talks about Bells, the movie and working with Patrick Stewart