The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post

That said, she went to a top private school in NY (Spence) and graduated from NYU. She should be reasonably literate!
    Who, Georgina? Money can buy more than just the best trainers and horses, you know. ;-) Any University or College jumps at the chance of having a big name person attending their school. It's all in the PR.

Default They say there is a book in everyone...

I learned about this one from our friends over at Dappled Grey blog. I have not read the book but this gives a great synopsis...

http://www.dappledgrey.com/2011/05/t...bloomberg.html

GOOD RIDING EVERYONE!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    Who, Georgina? Money can buy more than just the best trainers and horses, you know. ;-) Any University or College jumps at the chance of having a big name person attending their school. It's all in the PR.
    I think that's probably true but I wouldn't judge her...my sister goes to the same university in the same year as another BNR/famous persons daughter and says she is intelligent, hardworking and deserves to be there as much as anyone else. Though she does live in the most expensive dorm room! haha
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thanks to this thread I bought & read Jilly Cooper's book, Riders. I hate to admit it but I liked it. I may be a few points lower on my IQ, but it was an easy, entertaining read....

Also thanks to this or another thread I bought "The Perfect Distance" by Kim Albon Whitney, and am almost through with it. So what if I am 45 years too old to read this, I am really enjoying a well written authentic riding story.

One cent on Amazon + 3.99 shipping.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    Also thanks to this or another thread I bought "The Perfect Distance" by Kim Albon Whitney, and am almost through with it. So what if I am 45 years too old to read this, I am really enjoying a well written authentic riding story.

That was a good book - no matter your age!! Haha.

I may have to read Bloomberg's book just... because. Too make sure the way I look at the A circuit is, indeed, correct

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    My eyes started to bleed after the first page. I would think that such drivel, and that is exactly what this is, would only appeal to readers with a diminished cerebral capacity on the left side of the brain.
    Ughhk, same here. I've seen text- speak that flows better than those pages. Where's the vomit icon?
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

Eyes. Bleeding.
    If she's trying to get sympathy for rich H/J chicks, starting the book with "What a loser" reeeeally isn't gonna help

And I LOVE DG's synopsis of it... especially the last few sentences, lol!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

welp. I broke down and ordered A Circuit on the kindle. I'll report back?

Due to this thread I read "The Perfect Distance", which was meh (doubt I'll reread it, and I reread everything), and Jump!, which was ok as well, other then me wanting to slap Etta My local library has Riders so I'm planning on checking it out, but didn't like Jump enough to go out and buy another of her books.

I also read both Rosewood books (I'm a REALLY fast reader), those were actually pretty good, if a bit romance-y, I will be ordering the third when that comes out.

If you like Riders, which is a perfect brain candy read IMO, you will love Polo!

The A Circuit was ok...I can see it appealing more towards teens. It was a frivolous read, quickly gone through (took me about an hour). I did like that they didn't over explain everything horse related, some of the moments in "Perfect Distance" were a bit textbook-ey for me and got on my nerves. I liked that this flowed a little bit better. The name dropping was a little meh, but if not for this thread, I probably wouldn't' have noticed it. The horse with the broken withers/pulled suspensory was a bit over-dramatic, even if they were drinking, same with Fitz stepping forward to take the blame for Zara to impress Kate...very "gossip girl" esq that gave me some huh moments.

If I'm short on reading material, I'd probably read the next one, but its not going on my pre-order list.

IronJawedAngel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    The purpose of this book is revealed at last- to inspire this thread so that we could all learn about these books, which are clearly better in every way!
    As an avid Saddle Club & Thoroughbred reader in my middle school/early high school days, I am certainly enjoying all the recommendations of "trashy but entertaining" horse books. Good vacation reading

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    ............On another note, I'll go on record now saying THE COVER IS STUPID and WRONG. It's supposed to be the A circuit and a teenager is holding an in-hand horse with the lead shank snapped to what exactly?......
    bralter??
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

"Having the last name Bloomberg sucks?" Oh, poor YOU, indeed.

I give credit to GB for being an excellent rider and following her dreams, but does she really think she'd be as successful as she is today if she had to beg, borrow, and steal to get her GP mounts?

Seriously, I know an heiress who hated her family name so much that she changed it, moved to "flyover country," and got a job. That sounds like a better book, IMHO!
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

1 members found this post helpful.

IronJawedAngel Guest

Dappled Grey "Summer Reading List"
    http://bit.ly/lVpKfO

Maybe if she gave some used breeches or shirts with each copy?
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Default Would you give it to a 14 year old?

Hi! do you think the A Circuit would be suitable for a 14 year old? (she's not into anything 'popular', but she does ride). I'm buying a book for my niece; she loved 'The Perfect Distance', if that's anything to go by - are they similar? And has anyone read Blaze of Glory yet?

thanks for any input you might have. And I hope you're right, that we'll end up with more hot guys in breeches on TV, lol. We have a distinct shortage of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Hi! do you think the A Circuit would be suitable for a 14 year old?
    I don't think there is anything inappropriate in it, minus some bratty teenager-ness and bad decision making.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post

I LOVE The Perfect Distance. It kind of inspired my eq dreams. I've read it three times. Is that sad? haha.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris