The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Quote Originally Posted by chillydc View Post
    It is interesting to me that your book, Blaze of Glory was considered too similar to A Circuit, I have read both and did not think they were similar at all (except that there were horses). Blaze of Glory was a lot more mature and seemed geared to a more mature audience. A Circuit, not as mature. I enjoyed both books a lot. The sequel to Blaze of Glory is next on my list Congrats on writing a good book!
    Chillydc and Poltroon, I'm so glad you enjoyed my book!!! Having them read by horsepeople is the real test

There was romance in the original manuscript for 'Blaze', but I had focused more heavily on Tea's emerging talent as a rider, her training techniques, the kind of tack she favored... you know, all the stuff that, as my agent put it, "Will make the average reader's eyes glaze over." She wanted the book to appeal to a more mainstream audience, and I suppose she was right because I've noticed that many of the Amazon reviews say things like "I don't know much about horses". I suppose my agent/publisher felt the romance would be the 'hook' for the non-horsey set. They don't understand that a relationship between horse and rider can be just as intimate and powerful as between two people. I personally agree that there wasn't much similarity between Blaze and the A Circuit, but I guess to a non-rider they might seem similar.

On the plus side, since the first 2 books are doing well, I'm going to focus a bit more heavily on the riding in Book 3 There probably still won't be much technical language, but we'll follow the main character to more shows etc. Book 2, "Look Twice", is a bit less horsey than the other 2.

In other news, the books got optioned for TV (excuse me while I jump around the room for a minute!!), and the producer is a long-time rider who was also involved in the creation of Heartland, so I'm hoping we'll finally have an accurate, non-racing-related, non-Western, horse-based series on TV
    Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it. – Goethe
    www.mgarzon.ca

4 members found this post helpful.

Good luck mgarzon!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

@Mgarzon - wow!! I hope the tv series happens! I'd def watch it!

Mgarzon that is crazy! Congratulations! I would love to have a realistic horse related tv show! Do you think they will keep it realistic? I can't wait to read the Blaze sequels, I am slogging through Les Miserables (unabridged) for book club. It will be cool to say I know, sort of... the creator. Congrats again!
    Impossible is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mgarzon View Post
    Chillydc and Poltroon, I'm so glad you enjoyed my book!!! Having them read by horsepeople is the real test

There was romance in the original manuscript for 'Blaze', but I had focused more heavily on Tea's emerging talent as a rider, her training techniques, the kind of tack she favored... you know, all the stuff that, as my agent put it, "Will make the average reader's eyes glaze over." She wanted the book to appeal to a more mainstream audience, and I suppose she was right because I've noticed that many of the Amazon reviews say things like "I don't know much about horses". I suppose my agent/publisher felt the romance would be the 'hook' for the non-horsey set. They don't understand that a relationship between horse and rider can be just as intimate and powerful as between two people. I personally agree that there wasn't much similarity between Blaze and the A Circuit, but I guess to a non-rider they might seem similar.

On the plus side, since the first 2 books are doing well, I'm going to focus a bit more heavily on the riding in Book 3 There probably still won't be much technical language, but we'll follow the main character to more shows etc. Book 2, "Look Twice", is a bit less horsey than the other 2.

In other news, the books got optioned for TV (excuse me while I jump around the room for a minute!!), and the producer is a long-time rider who was also involved in the creation of Heartland, so I'm hoping we'll finally have an accurate, non-racing-related, non-Western, horse-based series on TV
    Oooh congrats! Now I really need to read them Oh, and I volunteer to be a stunt double for riding scenes!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Thanks all!!! It's still wildly surreal to me (i.e., I'm still a single parent working to support 2 kids, so it hasn't sunk into our day-to-day lives).

I fervently hope that they keep the show accurate and real!! I know that in the pilot they'll show some eventing, whereas my book was set in the H/J world, but the producer does want to get actors who have at least some experience with horses. I guess we'll call you for the rest, GingerJumper! It's still early though - the producer's going to L.A. later this month to talk to networks All my fingers & toes are permanently crossed!
    Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it. – Goethe
    www.mgarzon.ca

2 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations! What a great outcome.

I have read Blaze and actually thought a lot about the balance between the riding and the romance. I'm about a third of the way through a novel right now that also is in an equestrian setting. I just had this discussion with my book "coach" about how much "riding" stuff I could put in before it became an obstacle. It's hard because *I* like the riding parts a lot, but I can see that it really limits your audience.

Quote Originally Posted by mgarzon View Post

Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

mgarzon - CONGRATULATIONS! Sorry I'm late to the party, but that is awesome. Of all contemporary horse lit, Heartland is definitely up there in my top 3 so hopefully the producer will do you justice. I'm definitely adding your books to my list & am excited to hear more about the tv series!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Old topic I know, but bumping up at this book is now only $1.75 on Amazon Kindle right now...

So I bought it out of sheer curiousity (hunters, not my thing...), and it has improved in the couple of chapters I have read. Better then most teen horse novels I seem to read these days.

Bring on Jilly Coopers STUD novel!