When I got to the barn today I found my horse with a rash on his nose. I have no idea what he could have rubbed it on. He didn't seem to mind me touching it and everything else about him seemed perfectly normal. The only changes have been that I am giving him an extra scoop of his grain (watered down) because he has been working harder lately. We opened a new bale of grass hay yesterday, so maybe he is having some kind of allergic reaction to that? Also the flies have been horrible the past couple days. The weather has been hot and very dry.
Anyone have any guesses to what this could be? Can horses that don't have white hair/pink skin get sunburns too?
Hard to say from the picture but it does look like an allergic reaction. And yes, horses do get sunburned and also a condition called "dew poisoning". Especially on the nose when morning grass is wet and then the sun comes out. Use baby sunblock.
Yeah, I am thinking he must have rubbed it. Maybe some of his grain fell behind in the crack behind his feed bucket and he was trying to get it out. I've seen a few pieces get stuck in the crack before. Or maybe the gnats/flies are really irritating him and he is rubbing his lip or it's the hay. Why can't he just tell me?!? I worry too much about him.