The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any facilities near Nokesville to haul to for conditioning? Good hills, good footing

galloping tracks? I have a student who just moved up to Prelim and who is looking for a place to condition her mare; her boarding facility has very limited hack outs, and NO hills. (She has been to Wingreen, but hauling over there once a week to do some gallops is not really feasible because of the distance. She also talked about Gordonsdale, but that is a *hike* from Nokesville!)

If anyone knows of something, it would be much appreciated, TIA
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

PM sent.
    also, both Nokesville Park and Valley View Park have riding trails. Not really suitable for interval training, but I do a fair amount of agility work handgalloping the trails.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks Janet!

Question about Nokesville Park (just looked at it via Google Earth), I assume that they allow horses? Are there any grassy areas for conditioning gallops, or are there only trails? (I gather there are some soccer fields--*not* where you want to be galloping, unless you want a stern talking to )

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

There are two entrances to the Nokesville Community Park.

If you go in the back entrance (dirt road, single lane, opposite Parkgate Drive) there is a biggish field (approx 200 m per side) with a nice sized ring in it (where NHS holds some of their shows). It also has trailer parking, and connects to the trails. You could presumably gallop there.

But I am more familiar with the Valley View Park, since I am adjacent to the back side of it, and ride there frequently. In addition to the trails around the perimeter, there is a similar sized field (approx 200 m square) that is designated for "equestrian use", though there is nothing organized. Parts of it are too wet to gallop at the moment, but it is good later in the year.

You reach it through the main entrance to the park, then follow the sign for "horse trailer parking". But you can see the field if you drive north on Valley View. It is on the left after you pass Crocket on the right, and before you get to the dog training place (DO NOT use their driveway - keep going to the main park entrance.)

There is part of the field that used to be fenced. When they turned it into a park they pulled up the fence posts, and filled in the holes, but occaisionally I have seen one give way, so I would want to point out the specific area to anyone who planned to gallop.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks, Janet--this is *most* helpful!

Try Morningside in Warrenton - they have a great track and there's a big hill in the XC field. Not very expensive - we've used the track for canters when the ground is hard everywhere else.

Thanks, GotSpots, she has been to Morningside (the track and infield were closed for awhile this spring due to weather conditions and other factors), and she will probably haul over there too once or twice a month. (While there, she may as well school some x-country if she's going to pay the fee ) They also recently re-footed their outdoor ring; it's heavenly!! If she can find something closer that's free, though, then that will probably be where she goes on a regular weekly basis.

Frying Pan Park isn't very hilly, but there is definitely room for gallop sets.

Kelly's Ford Equestrian Center in Remington isn't too far from Nokesville. They've got hills, tons of room for gallops, plus a full XC course.

http://www.innatkellysford.com/equest.html

$20/day for full use, plus there's a Pub. I think they have $10 days the first Weds of each month too.

Quote Originally Posted by TimelyImpulse View Post
    Kelly's Ford Equestrian Center in Remington isn't too far from Nokesville. They've got hills, tons of room for gallops, plus a full XC course.

http://www.innatkellysford.com/equest.html

$20/day for full use, plus there's a Pub. I think they have $10 days the first Weds of each month too.
    Hills? Where? Kelly's Ford is about as flat as you can get. Are you talking about the trails where they take people for guided trail rides? I've never been on those, just in the cross-country field.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com