The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm the only one who thinks he's off...

Using an alter

Problem: My horse got a touch-up clip last week, led to scratches, which led to cellulitis.
    Vet said he was sound, and he WAS.
    3 days later I rode him and thought he was short. Thought the same thing the next day as well.

Sent video to trainer, and I asked vet what he thought. Both said he was sound.

I'm just not convinced. I've had him for such a long time, that I know him way too well. Which I think may be clouding my judgement (ie- making a problem out of nothing), but maybe not?

The problem here is, he's supposed to leave for a two-week horse show in about 6 days. In a normal situation, I'd leave him at home, but I'm going home for the summer (as is he) so I need to make a decision about WHERE to send him, very, very soon (like yesterday), because he's not staying here. The show is about half way home (13 hours away, of a 28 hour drive..) so it's not like I can just take him there, and two days later say "oh he's lame, lets send him home".

Any advice on what I should do next? I don't want to hurt him, but no one but me thinks he's hurt, and with work commitments I won't be able to show much at all this summer.

Not sure if this makes sense, but thanks for reading it!

Hm, that's a tough one. On one hand, you do know him the best and can recognize when something isn't right... but on the other hand, I know sometimes I start to see a problem where there isn't one (I weirdly do this with my car too - one day start to think, has it always made that sound?!?!?). Generally I'm just overthinking it and horse/car turn out fine. But, better safe than sorry...

I don't think I helped at all.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Better off being safe than sorry and follow your gut.

My horse didn't seem right to me. He wasn't lame, just his personality wasn't the same while riding. Had the vet come and was told I was over analyzing my horse. He did jog sound but I just knew SOMETHING wasn't right. Got a second opinion and on ultrasound found his suspensory was strained. Because we caught it early it was an easy and fast recovery but what if i had gone against my gut and listened to the first vet?

When you've had your horse a while and truly know him, you can just tell when something's not quite right.
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

Thanks guys.

I think the reason no one is believing me is because I think he's lame (short) in the same leg he had cellulitis.

I know I'm probably being silly, but my uber-conservative (horse-wise) trainer even thinks he's fine. Not sure, going to have my trainers here look at him tomorrow, if not I think we'll be heading home sooner rather than later :/

not sure this will help much, but maybe there's still a bit of fluid from cellulitus that makes the joint feel a tad funny to him. Is it that leg? My guy had this a couple years ago, and yes he was "sound" when swelling went down but it took him a week or so to feel "normal". Is he turned out or being hand walked? My vet said the more movement the better...not crazy running around, but movement.

I agree -- you know him best and know how he feels. Do you need to make a decision right now or can you wait a few days? I know you said you needed to decide quickly but the shipping to the show is a few days away and maybe by then you will know if he is sore or not. If sore, you can get a vet certificate to get at least your entry fees back.

Better safe than sorry - you for sure don't want a long lay up because you sent him and he truly was not quite right to start.

Is it possible you can send him to the show and just be more conservative with what you show in and how many classes you do?

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    not sure this will help much, but maybe there's still a bit of fluid from cellulitus that makes the joint feel a tad funny to him. Is it that leg? My guy had this a couple years ago, and yes he was "sound" when swelling went down but it took him a week or so to feel "normal". Is he turned out or being hand walked? My vet said the more movement the better...not crazy running around, but movement.
    Yup, same leg. He goes on the walker every morning, but there's no turnout (which I do not like at all) and I ride him or walk him everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Is it possible you can send him to the show and just be more conservative with what you show in and how many classes you do?
    Well, he's older and so I moved him down about 3 years ago so I could 'save' him (I love him and would rather jump 3'-3'3 for 5 years, versus 3'6-3'9 for 1 or 2).

So he's doing the lowest division they offer, and only doing 1 class/day for 3 days- he also only needs about 4 warm ups jumps, so he already does the bare minimum. Do you think that's too much?

Quote Originally Posted by roamingnome View Post
    Well, he's older and so I moved him down about 3 years ago so I could 'save' him (I love him and would rather jump 3'-3'3 for 5 years, versus 3'6-3'9 for 1 or 2).

So he's doing the lowest division they offer, and only doing 1 class/day for 3 days- he also only needs about 4 warm ups jumps, so he already does the bare minimum. Do you think that's too much?
    Wait he's doing three clases in total for the entire horse show?

Honestly if thats all you were planning on doing with him I'd say if you still think hes off, save you money and not go. It seems expensive to ship and pay a stall fee for three classes.

Is there another show later on the calendar you could do ? Maybe this way you can give him the rest and still get in a good show.

O'wise, go to this show, do the first class, and then honestly assess him post-class and go with what the assessment tells you.

If your trainer, who sees him a lot, thinks he's moving normally, that should be some comfort.

Listen to your little voice! If you think the horse is off or even not quite right, DO NOT SHOW!

Maybe something is still not healed fully. You know, a scabby knee (on a human) is not dangerous, but it still hurts.

The horse probably is fine not showing; if you show and he hurts then he will like showing/traveling less, more likely to worry and get ulcers. You are more likely to worry, although likely not get ulcers If he arrives and is not 100% he can't deliver a stellar performance, less likely to win/place/do well, you are out big bucks for such an event.
    I really don't see the upside.

Don't forget - he is YOUR horse and YOU are responsible to do right by him.
    I hope your horse is 100% in everybody's opinion soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Wait he's doing three clases in total for the entire horse show?

Honestly if thats all you were planning on doing with him I'd say if you still think hes off, save you money and not go. It seems expensive to ship and pay a stall fee for three classes.
    3 classes per week, for two weeks. He's a jumper though, so I have never shown him in more than 3 classes, most shows I only do 2.
    And I'd be shipping him home anyways, so the only difference is that he'd get a two week break between the first 13 hours, and the last 15.

I'm gonna wait till Thursday or Friday and see how I feel then, and then make my decision.
    Thanks for all y'alls help!

Did you put a furazone sweat wrap on the leg after the cellulitis cleared up? Sometimes that takes care of the 'funny' feeling from bits of extra fluid.

post a video. We'll tell ya!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."