The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default can anyone comment on this pedigree (and pic)?

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/enduro6

Photo here

I am intrested in buying this 18 month old colt for eventing. I have always had TBs though; love that forwardness, and am worried I'll get a big old clunky WB! Escudo II does appeal to me for his apparent agility though. And the colt is pretty darn cute, IMO

Can anyone comment on what sort of temperament and ability one might expect, in theory, from these lines?

Thanks!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

63 looks and not a peep? Is he that much of a dog?

He's really cute I love his bling! I have an Escudo II daughter who looks a lot like him (except the bling fairy was stingier on my girl), and I think that SHE will make one heck of an eventer.

I like the bloodlines, Escudo II is jumping blood that also seems to produce good movement. The hanoverian bloodlines in the dam seem to me to be mostly dual-purpose lines, and the Swedish on the bottom (at least the lines I recognize) are dressage lines that at least shouldn't kill the jump.

I would think he'd be pretty catty and should do well in both the dressage and the jumping phases. The only issue would be whether he'll finish up too heavy to make the speed at Intermediate and above.

However, if you have no plans to go above Prelim, lol, I would guess he would be competitive. At least as much as one can predict from a pedigree and one picture!!

And i just need to add one more time how much I loooooooove his chrome!!

Yeah I think I'd be happy crawling around Prelim

It's true... if he was plain bay... not sure I'd love him so much!

He's cute...just doesn't say "eventer" to me.

Just for an example...this one does...2009 wb/tb pictured at about 18mo:
    http://www.selahwaysporthorses.com/b...20110504063200

Default Any freejumping video?

I never buy an 18 mo or older horse without seeing the individual freejump, if the intended use involves jumping. It does not have to be a traditional chute or any higher than crossrails-2' jumps, but it is important to have an idea about the aptitude and willingness.

In my experience most warmbloods with fairly little tb in them do fine up to prelim, but afterwards they can struggle with speed and stamina. Developing the desire to move forward on their own can be a challenge too when starting them. I had much better luck with horses 65-85% Tb.

I agree with szipi. Get a free jumping video.
    Also agree on some warmbloods being slow from my own experience. Mine was old school style, and people at the shows nicknamed him "the Turtle". I would have a hard time winning outdoors ( jumpers ) against the TB, but indoors was our thing and he could turn on a dime! I think the line you are looking at would be great because I don't think it is as heavy and old fashioned as my guy was. Plus the warmbloods aren't as "touchy" as a TB, so much easier to ride and train. And I find them to be more sturdy/ less injury prone.
    The E lines you are looking at produce jump and great dressage movement. So for eventing, you are looking at a good prospect. I have heard they have a great character.
    If you see he has the movement, then I would go for it. At that age and if the price is right, you can always recoup your money and sell him once he is older and you can see more of his niche...

Yeah I'm not going higher than prelim, so no worries! My fiancee will also need a hunter pace horse right around the time we find out if this one is too heavy/slow for me, so either way I think he has a home (unless he is a big wuss, in which case he'd go to the dressage arena)

I've asked the owner if I can get a freejump video - thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    Yeah I'm not going higher than prelim, so no worries! My fiancee will also need a hunter pace horse right around the time we find out if this one is too heavy/slow for me, so either way I think he has a home (unless he is a big wuss, in which case he'd go to the dressage arena)

I've asked the owner if I can get a freejump video - thanks for the reminder.
    Then it's a win/win+ all the way around (the plus is for added eye candy appeal)

I really like the shape of this youngster. But he doesn't look very eventery to me - a bit too stodgy. But then just about any horse can get around a Prelim course (if the rider is up for it!) so I'd go for it!

He looks like a really lovely sort, the type that would do a bit of everything.

Good luck!