The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool I viewed a fox today

I was out walking the dirt roads in the back of beyond, on foot - assessing the potential horse-frighteners along a new riding route.

I'd just passed spinning tin plates in a garden; a mini-donkey; a bull; and a small pack of free-range fox-terriers-of-death when I rounded a bend in the road and there was a lovely saucy-looking young red, trotting along the middle of the dirt lane.

I was upwind, so naturally s/he knew immediately I was there. S/he stopped and took a good long look at me before turning and strolling away completely unconcerned. I decided s/he must not mind my company, so I ambled along about thirty yards back for a good five minutes. S/he occasionally glanced backward at me, but didn't seem a bit worried.

Then I blinked and that fast, the fox vanished.

How nice for you! I haven't seem a fox in a long time. There used to be a resident fox at the farm where I board my horse, but the coyotes have moved in and s/he must have high-tailed it out of there.

The few times I have come across a fox, I always feel it is kind of magical because it has always been kind of when you least expect to see them. A glimpse of a tail into the brush or through the mist of an early morning. Love them!

It's odd, because we have coyote, most definitely. But we also have fox.

Maybe they're figuring out how to coexist. As many fat bunnehs as we have around my farm, I'd think there'd be plenty for everybody.

What a lovely encounter! I'm smiling for you

We have a lot of foxes in our neighborhood. We enjoy them. The neighbors have given them names like "Limping Mama, Scar Face, and Esmerelda." When our dogs leave rawhide chews, toys, or Milk Bones outside, they instantly disappear. One neighbor went through the fox den a few years ago, and then returned large numbers of dog toys to the local dogs who had lost them.

I hope we don't have coyotes move in and eat our foxes. It would be sad to lose them.