The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Marlborough peeps - hound?

I saw what I think is a stray foxhound bitch today at the corner of Chew Road and Crain Highway, near Upper Marlboro.
    She has been around the towyard for a couple years, they said, and she has had two litters of puppies, the first the SPCA was able to catch but not her -- and currently is nursing a litter, hidden someone on the yard.
    She is very shy and has been fed by the guys in the yard.
    I wonder if she is a stray Marlborough hound?
    I have pictures of her taken this morning.
    Not sure is she is a foxhound, or if Marlborough or some other hunt in the area would know her but hoping that she is.
    http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/DSCN7375.jpg
    I have the ph. no. of the towtruck driver who has been feeding her, very concerned, very responsible person who knows she needs shots, etc. and should not be running around having puppies. Evidently the spca/humane society can't catch her although they tried.
    Anyone?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I would recommend calling the hunt directly, go to marlboroughhunt.com- there is a phone number there. If you can get the photo to them or email them the link, they can tell you for sure. If one could get one's hands on the hound, checking the ears for tattoos would be helpful but doesn't sound like that is an easy option! The Marlborough huntsman could probably give you some good leads if it's not theirs (and I am guessing it's not). Of course there are also individual fox and deer hunters who keep (and lose) hounds, absent a collar or chip it would be tough to track them down, though.

Yes, Beverley, I have sent a message with photos to a friend who has MH friends and sent the word around.

I told the towyard guys if she is a foxhound who has hunted with a recognized pack she might have a tattoo in her ear. You cannot get close enough to get a hand on her; she is very wary and quite wild. I took these photos from about 200 feet and that is all the closer she'd let me be. She lets the towtruck guy get closer but only when it's really quiet in the yard and no one around. Trying to be caught by the SPCA made her extremely shy, it must have been traumatic to her, as they tried to use traps. They took her first litter of puppies then, too, so I can imagine it was pretty terrible. He said she brings back all sorts of meat and deer legs and such in hunting season so she's out in the woods a good bit.

This part of Maryland is quite suburban, and I doubt there would be much in the way of farmers' packs in the area. I think MH has a huge amount of hounds, and are only a couple miles from kennels, so I am guessing it is a best fit with Marlborough in terms of where she may have come from. That is why I posted here. Of course she may not be a foxhound but she sure looks like one to me.

If anyone wants to try, the address is 6107 Chew Road, just off Crain Hwy., the first turn to the right. You will see a gravel entrance and chain link fence.
    ASK PERMISSION before you go on the land, please.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Thanks all of you for your concern. This is not a Marlborough Hunt fox hound. I am a whipper-in for the hunt on my girlfriends post. There is an unrecognized pack that hunts in the area and there are hound field trials at Patuxent River Park that is near this location. My guess is that it would be a hound from the field trials. Being the one to often hunt them down I can say we do not leave hounds out in the country.

I'm sure even unrecognized hunts would not intentionally leave hounds in the country either. Hopefully you will be able to get the hound back to its owner