The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Horse turns the tables on attacking pit bull

Graphic video. Do not watch if you don't want to see a dog attacking a horse that then gets the better of him, biting and stomping.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=477_1296278090
    Last edited by jetsmom; May. 3, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Poor dog, poor horse, stupid humans.

Are you sharing that link because you think what the horse did is somehow okay because the dog is a pit?

Putting content like that on the internet is about as bad as selling tickets to the dog fight.

The shame about the internet is that it provides a mass forum for the idiots who enoy putting together matches like that. I refuse to watch it through. I don't need to see it to know that morons exist.

I doubt that dog is owned by anyone. I don't really feel bad for the dog, it was VICIOUS and needed to be put down. That horse was better equipt to KILL it than any person on hand. This is clearly a foreign country and that is clearly a hard working "cart horse". They guy was trying to stop the dog from killing what may be his ONLY horse thus his only means of transportation of goods/work ect. Im most third world and developing countries people dont' really have "pet dogs", most dog ownership is WORKING livestock dogs. That Pitbull was probably a stray and I doubt that was the first time it attacked a horse, a cow, a goat a PERSON.

Before anyone shouts "he should have got a gun and shot it!" I gotta say gun ownership is far less common in other countries, not to mention you would have be a freakin sharpshoot to hit a single dog running around like mad trying to attack a horse. Chances are the horse or a bystandard would have been hit. Once the dog is DEAD the horse calms down, this is clearly not a vicious horse. Notice that the people leave the horse alone as he is clearly still concerned about the dog. Sad situation over all but it could have been a lot worse, mostly I feel bad for that horse who clearly got bit up and may never be OK to be around dogs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    Are you sharing that link because you think what the horse did is somehow okay because the dog is a pit?

Putting content like that on the internet is about as bad as selling tickets to the dog fight.

The shame about the internet is that it provides a mass forum for the idiots who enoy putting together matches like that. I refuse to watch it through. I don't need to see it to know that morons exist.
    Actually, I was amazed to see a horse fight back as it did. There have been so many incidents of dogs attacking/killing horses, that this is the first time I have seen a horse actually come out on top.

(And, FTR, I'm not a Pit bull hater. Two of my renters own Pits, that are great dogs. I allow all breeds in my rental homes, as long as they are spayed/neutered/vaccinated and not outdoor only dogs. I am, however, an irresponsible, loose dog allowing dog owner hater.)

Scary. I think it looks like a mule, not a horse (tail looks more mule-like, plus at the end -I fast-forwarded rather than watch- ears are longer than horse's). Mules will definitely be more aggressive in that sort of situation - get it from their donkey parent.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

The dog had every opportunity to quit the fight. it did NOT. Pit bulls are bred to not give up until they are dead. Shame on the DOGS owner who did not control their animal. The DOGS owner is the only one at fault, and if the horse was damaged, I'd make the DOGS owner pay for vet care. The horse defended itself, which is preferable to simply panicking and allowing the dog to tear hunks out of him like I've seen on some equine victims of dog attacks. The person seemed to also be trying to beat the dog off. This ultra tenacity once they start an attack is what makes pit bulls so dangerous. I'll never forget one foal staying at Mississippi state while my mini mare was there also. It had an enormous chunk of haunch muscle missing after being attacked by a dog (no I don't know what breed). Diva got ran through a fence by dogs and got nasty cuts.

This did not look like a set up 'match' the man with the stick kept hitting the dog. . . but eventually stopped when it became obvious the horse was thoroughly PISSED and intended to take care of it himself.

Not all dogs have owners, it may well be a stray or feral.

Agreed! Not sure that posts like that are needed here.

liveleak.com where inquiring minds want to go.

And what makes someone search on or share such a video? For the "Oh my God response"?

I'm not really surprised to see a working cart horse (or mule -- good call) from what would appear to be a 3rd world country defend himself to this extent. I suspect this is not his first encounter with a dog like this. And I do have empathy for folks who depend on horses like this one to work for them.

I just don't understand why the fracas needed to be taped and posted on a site (meaning liveleak -- I'm not referring to COTH) where jacka$$es will undoubtedly ENJOY watching it.

That's appalling. I stopped watching partway through. Watching a dog and horse fight with a human trying to beat the dog isn't my idea of entertainment or news.

So no one should ever tape anything bad for any reason and never ever post it online where someone might learn something from it for fear of offending someone's delicate sensibilities? To me the lesson to be learned is: if you have dogs, keep control of them . . . .lest something like this happen. Aren't there always threads here on COTH bitching about loose dogs at horse shows? Maybe if their owners see this, maybe they just -might- think twice before letting poopiekins run loose at the show, boarding barn, etc.

I found the video terrifying. I doubt anyone who watches it 'enjoys' it. It's certainly an eye opener to how aggressive a horse pushed to far can get.
    It wasn't a set up fight, it was a random, graphic and scary event. The tape might be evidence (doubtful though). You don't really know WHY they decided to record it or post it.

Quote Originally Posted by cholmberg View Post
    So no one should ever tape anything bad for any reason and never ever post it online where someone might learn something from it for fear of offending someone's delicate sensibilities?
    So you think it was posted for educational purposes? Really? Bull.

I didn't say that, did I? I said that it's not realistic to pass judgment on WHY they posted it online for all to see just because you don't like it. It wasn't posted originally on CoTH, a member copied it here. Where is your sanctimonious attitude towards them for posting it here?

And I said folks with dogs COULD learn a lesson from it. And they can. . .

Internet is still free. People can post whatever they want, when they want. You watched it. Why shouldn't other people?

I posted it for the reasons stated above.

You DO have the option of not clicking a link that says "GRAPHIC Video". And apparently you are familiar with livelink. I was not. I didn't go searching for this video...it was a link on a pet forum. I did find the horse's reaction amazing, considering the usual outcome of dogs attacking horses.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Agreed! Not sure that posts like that are needed here.

liveleak.com where inquiring minds want to go.

And what makes someone search on or share such a video? For the "Oh my God response"?
    I find horse slaughter/abuse videos far more offensive because those acts are done intentionally, by people.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I posted it for the reasons stated above.

You DO have the option of not clicking a link that says "GRAPHIC Video". And apparently you are familiar with livelink. I was not. I didn't go searching for this video...it was a link on a pet forum. I did find the horse's reaction amazing, considering the usual outcome of dogs attacking horses.
    Again, I'm referring to liveleak.com. And, I do have a right to express my opinion about graphic videos.

It's a good video to use to eduacate STUPID dog owners who insist on letting Pookums runs lose at your barn, horse show, clinic or near your horses in general. Also a good video to scare the BEJESUS out of parents of "free roaming" kids who have been told over and over again to NOT let their kids walk up to the horses. Gets the point across real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by cholmberg View Post
    I doubt anyone who watches it 'enjoys' it.
    I wish that were true. Not everyone out there has delicate sensibilities. The world could do without the Michael Vick types.

I did not watch the video.......but from every ones description I do not have any sympathy for the dog if he picked the fight and decided to continue on once the tables were turned on him.

I have a horse that is very territorial about her stall and if a dog decided to attack her and continue she would fight back.

Dalemma