The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beginner's 'Training the Horse'/Horse Care Books ...?

The young woman down the road from me just bought a very cute two year old. This is her first horse, BUT she did quite a bit of riding as she was growing up. Western. She seems to be very interested in taking things slowly and doing it one step at a time. She also is willing to pay for some instruction and maybe a trainer down the road.

What books would you guys recommend she get for a good start on horse care and, most especially, beginning training with ground manners and ground handling? Things that she can do on her own.

Her husband cleared a one and one half acre pasture for this horse and has put wooden posts sunk in cement to hold electric wire. It really is a nice area for the horse.

The horse was tied on a long rope in someone's front yard . Brook (the young woman) said she has wanted a horse for years and she just couldn't pass this deal up. I have seen the horse and he is really cute with a beautiful head, as well as nice conformation for a good all around trail type. Looks like and Appendix QH/Paint cross ... very throughbred-dy looking.

She has already said she does not plan to ride him for at least a year, but would like to start training on the ground.

Any book ideas that are simple, easy and to the point training and horse care would be VERY helpful. Need something *down-to-earth* here.

Thanks in advance .

How about the Cherry Hill videos and books. I don't have any experience with them but have heard they are quite good and to the point