The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Dealing with idiot barn neighbors

My first clue that the neighbors leasing the farm next to the barn that I just started leasing are idiots, was when the woman, upon introduction, mentions the following: always loved/wanted a horse as a kid; first horse was a rescue (because all newbies need to get a rescue, right?); now owns the adorable 2 year old black arab colt...but he is sooooo sweet and gentle (really? he is an arab? looks like a QH/Welsh pony) and of course....ready? yep, the pinto he shares his acre pasture with is a MARE and she is in foal to him!!!!
    Where is Fugly when you need her?
    So I inform her that we are putting up hotwire and will be turning my 3 out in the pasture that adjoins her field so that I can rotate my pastures. And inform her I have a mare...to which, she reiterates how SWEET and WELL BEHAVED the 2 year old is. It won't be a problem.
    We string hotwire along her side of the fence. Most of the fence is covered with heavy brush and trees and there is only about 10 feet where there is a clearing. My pasture has a fence, and she has a fence about a foot in from mine. Because of the brush, we string hot wire along the posts that you stick in the ground. In the area where the horses can see each other, we stick the hot wire out a good 8 feet from my fence line, so there is about 9 feet between them.
    Now she has divided her small property with round pen panels, which are supported by posts (if you are going to the trouble to put posts in the ground, wouldn't it be cheaper to just use fence boards?). She has a small area on my side of the fence and of course, this is where she turns out her horses at night. Of course, the stallion paces the fence line the entire time.
    So a few nights later, my barn owner gets a call from idiot woman. Claims that my horses are trying to bust through fence. BO goes outside and my horses are grazing, minding their own business. Fence is fine. Upon inspection next day, we discover that we stopped the hotwire about a foot too short of where neighbor property ends (she is half the width of my pasture) and her stallion is poking his head through the brush. So we extend hot wire another 20 feet, just to be safe.

Two days ago, we see she has added a 3rd horse, another pinto. Did I mention she has just an acre?
    She calls my BO that night to complain that my horses "have their butts up against her fence line. Hot wire isn't working". Now my BO doesn't answer their calls...apparently, they boarded here last summer and my BO kicked her out after a week. She reassures me that I am doing nothing wrong, that this woman and her husband are crazy.
    Yesterday, my boarder and I walk the perimeter. Fence is intact. Her husband sees me and comes over to tell me that "my draftx was straddling the hot wire with his feet up on the fence". Of course, the wire and posts are intact, which I mention.
    We turn mine out and watch them. Soon there is commotion. The stallion is attacking and lunging the round panel line, trying to get the new horse. WHY? Because as I soon realize, he is ALSO A STUD COLT!!
    So here is this poor horse, turned out with his mare, and he has a new colt on the other side of the fence...he looks like he is about a 1 1/2 or 2 years old. Mine of course, come over to watch the unfolding train wreck, and so naturally, he starts lunging at my fence line.
    I realize it is just a matter of time before he gets his leg stuck in the round pen panels and breaks it, so we move our horses to the other pasture. I don't want mine to be accused of causing this accident waiting to happen. My BO calls the property owner to let him know what is happening. He mentions he hates to talk to her, but he will text her!
    So this morning, my boarder comes out to feed. Half of the round pen panel is pushed half over...despite posts in the ground on the other side. EEK! That poor horse must have really been going at it all night long.
    And of course, idiot owners put the fence back up this evening. As I leave, the new colt and the mare are turned out on my side in the small area. No sign of the other stallion..as I drove off, I tried to recall if I even saw him tonight. I hope he is ok.
    Unfortunately, I am sure that this drama will continue to play out for a while.

ohhh boy... I think you mine as well just retire that pasture next to them to keep one of your ponies from getting hurt or double fence your side... cause I don't see this ending well... and then get out the alcoholic beverage of your choice and the lawn chairs; cause this is going to provide Coth with hours of amusment. and you probably more than a few grey hairs.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    ohhh boy... I think you mine as well just retire that pasture next to them to keep one of your ponies from getting hurt or double fence your side... cause I don't see this ending well... and then get out the alcoholic beverage of your choice and the lawn chairs; cause this is going to provide Coth with hours of amusment. and you probably more than a few grey hairs.
    Well, it is off limits for a bit, but I have to keep rotating fields until we get some rain! And my horses are really not the bit interested in what is going on next door, other than to stand there and watch with amusement! They respect the hotwire and will stay off it. Today, we were sitting around, watching them repair the fencing..and yes, I did have to color my hair last night!

The barn I board one of my horses at has some interesting neighbors, too. Our outdoor arenas abutt each other.

I largely avert my eyes, grit my teeth and regard it as good desensitizing training...

Was interesting when they took up chariot racing (teams,) and tooth-grindingly painful when they took up Western pleasure.

When your BO called the property owner, did he/she mention that the lessee has two stallions on that limited space? If I were that property owner, I'd be seriously worried about a lawsuit if somthing got damaged or someone got hurt on my property. It's a bummer that we live in a litigious society, but since we do, if i were that property owner, I'd want to know.

Also, some towns/states have ordinances about acreage and horses-it may be that this person keeping three on one acre is a violation, and animal control might be willing to bring this to her attention.

Find out what the zoning laws are regarding horses and property, odds are she is in some sort of violation having two stallions on such a small tract of land. Many places have minimum fencing requirements too, perhaps she is in violation there also.

Zoning laws are you friend when it comes to idiot neighbors.

Oh, and who wants to bet mare in foal has a colt? Murphy's law and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    The mare having a colt would be better than the mare having a filly who will then be bred at 9 months.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Because then filly would probably be knocked up by daddy.

But...if it's a colt there's the chance it gets momma knocked up.

Although, I guess one mare popping out inbred fugly foals is better than two.

Of course if it's a colt though and daddy is so gentle and awesome they would probably either sell him intact, running the risk of him being a start-up stallion for another backyard breeding clusterfrack. Or they might just start standing the whole bunch for stud on craigslist.

Oh, the many ways this could go wrong.

I think it's a true catch 22.

Any way you could just sneak on their property with a banding gun one night? They sell them pretty cheap at Tractor Supply...

Sounds like they'd probably be too stupid to figure out why their horses' balls fell off if they even noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum122 View Post

Any way you could just sneak on their property with a banding gun one night? They sell them pretty cheap at Tractor Supply...

Sounds like they'd probably be too stupid to figure out why their horses' balls fell off if they even noticed.
    THIS!!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm trying to figure out if we have more than our fair share of idiot wanna-be horse owners in Florida or not, because it sure seems to run rampant down here. I can name several just on my 4 miles stretch of road. And yes, AC is on alert about all of them, but they are just within the guidelines to prevent seizure of the animals.

For sure I would contact the property owner since this nitwit is leasing the property. We do that frequently here, as one of the properties is a rental, and I am good friends with the property owner, so I never hesitate to call her if something is amiss on her property. And she takes care of it pronto.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

"You can't fix stupid." Ron White.

G.

Three horses on an acre? In most places that's a zoning violation no matter how many extraneous body parts the males have or don't have. Around here, we have good pasture and soil and you still need a minimum of five acres for large livestock. I'd call your county/township on her.

Well, it has been a bit quiet, but my horses are still in my other field, so maybe that is why.
    She has no set schedule, so I can't quite figure things out..yesterday the new colt was out all day with no sign of the mare and other colt. I assume they were in stalls. Then today, she had the mare out with the new colt, no sign of the black colt and the poor mare kept calling for him and pacing the line. Then tonight, she was out with the black colt...in the small paddock next to my field. I am sure that as soon as I turn mine back out in the adjoining field, all hell will break loose again. >sigh<
    At least it has provided me with something to blog about:
    http://calypsofarmeventers.blogspot....se-owners.html

What is that saying, "good fences make good neighbors."

Make em' good and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Three horses on an acre? In most places that's a zoning violation no matter how many extraneous body parts the males have or don't have. Around here, we have good pasture and soil and you still need a minimum of five acres for large livestock. I'd call your county/township on her.
    Not in Kentucky. Anything goes here.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You can seriously crowd as much large livestock as you want onto any acreage at all? Sheesh, do they not have county health departments in KY? That's the biggest issue here--my next-door neighbors probably have a couple more animals than their lot strictly allows, but since their manure-disposal system (whatever they do) isnt' stinking up the neighborhood (and I'm closest, I'd know) no one really cares. But then their horses aren't busting down fences and bashing into panels, either.

Todays drama....as I went to the barn to drop off hay, the pinto colt was trying to mount the mare. They are separated by the round pen panels. I think the black colt is being stalled during the day.
    >sigh<
    There is no use contacting zoning, there is a farm down the road, way over crowded with horses. Animal Control harrasses them for whatever they can manage (last time was for having no shelter for the horses), but apparently it is ok to cram as many horses as you want onto your acreage and get away with it.

The zoning violation would likely be in the fact that these are stallions, not the overcrowding.

Many, many areas have special laws on the books regarding housing/fencing of stallions. Something worth checking IMO since phone calls are free.

Probably a dumb question, can horses be banded?

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

About the 3 horses being too many on an acre. Our guys at my barn (two geldings, a mare, 2 pony mares) live quite comfortably on an acre. The ponies are both under 12hh and live in 12x12 stalls. Gelding 1 lives in 12 x 24 stall, mare and gelding 2 live out. Everything is neat, clean, and hey, no AC telling us we have too many horses.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum122 View Post
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Because then filly would probably be knocked up by daddy.

But...if it's a colt there's the chance it gets momma knocked up.
    There may be something of this nature in the neighbors themselves.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.