The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up

Last edited by 7HL; Oct. 4, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

17 day diet??? 12 pounds in 2 weeks?!!!! and easy to stay on????

Is there a website for this? 17daydiet.com or seventeendaydiet.com or ???

Since the last time I posted about diet/weight......the post got buried I guess, I cant find it......anyway.....I TRIED!! I cut out anything that tastes good and anything that makes other things taste good (mayo/sour cream/etc

I didnt get on a scale because people say muscle weighs more than fat so you cant go by numbers go by a pair of jeans and how they fit.
    2 weeks later........nothing......no change. If anything, the jeans felt a bit more snug, could be mental, could be freshly washed, I dunno.

But, thats my thing......if I dont see SOME sort of result, something, anything!!! then its REALLY hard to stay motivated when everyone else around you is eating a cheesesteak or chicken quesadilla's or chicken potpie and there you sit with your nasty salad with a tablespoon of oil and vinegar.

I'd like to give this 17 day diet a shot.......thats a LOT of "result" in 2 weeks!
    Congrats!!! that sounds like a diet that really works!

I tried it. I lost 6lbs in less than 4 days. I really don't need to lose an incredible about of weight (maybe 15lbs). I'm a size 8 and 5ft10 now without the diet. I didn't think this was the healthy route for me.
    On the other hand I did stop having sugar highs and lows and in general felt better cutting back on the carbs and sugars. My goal is to find a happy medium.
    I have a very muscular build as well. I started looking a little scary ripped after the few days I was on it so that was another reason I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by smilton View Post
    I tried it. I lost 6lbs in less than 4 days. I really don't need to lose an incredible about of weight (maybe 15lbs). I'm a size 8 and 5ft10 now without the diet. I didn't think this was the healthy route for me.
    On the other hand I did stop having sugar highs and lows and in general felt better cutting back on the carbs and sugars. My goal is to find a happy medium.
    I have a very muscular build as well. I started looking a little scary ripped after the few days I was on it so that was another reason I stopped.
    So would you say this diet isn't good for someone looking to lose 10-15 lbs? I am not "fat" per se, but need to lose a little weight and get in better shape. I've tried doing it solely by cutting calories, but based on my size/body structure (extremely petite build and short), I would have to basically go on a starvation diet in order to lose weight.

The problem that I have is that I need to find a diet that is fast and easy (read: minimum to no food prep- if it takes more than 15 minutes to prepare, I won't find the time to do it). My life is kind of spread out right now (boarding horses, but they are self care, have to drop my dog off at doggie day care and pick him up, work long hours, and am trying to remodel my house), so I don't really have the time to plan and prepare meals, and I find it difficult to find large chunks of time to actually exercise (I have an elliptical in my house, actually, but get bored on it for more than about 15 minutes at a time- actually, "I get bored" is a running theme in my life).

Anyway, I would love to give this diet a try, but I don't want to buy the book and find that it isn't what I am looking for.

As another aside, I tried to do a low-carb type diet recently, and while I lost two pounds in the first day, I felt terrible for the few days I managed to stick it out, and finally gave up- I would like something that is healthy, and can safely be done long-term.

I know, what I describe more than likely doesn't exist, but I figured I would at least try...

I've been on it since Feb. 7 and have lost 25 pounds, and am aiming for 15 more. I'm currently on my second go-around of Cycle 1. Weight loss is very quick while on the first cycle and slower in the second two cycles.

I've found it a good and easy to follow diet. A few of my friends have lost quite a bit of weight on it as well.

Can anybody give some details about the diet without us having to buy the book?

Three cycles, which you keep repeating until you've met your goal. Each cycle is 17 days long.

Universal: green tea at every meal, glass of hot lemon water first thing when you get up + eight glasses of water; "carbs" (including fruit) must be eaten before 2 pm

Cycle 1: all you want of non-starchy veggies, lean poultry and fish, two servings of certain fruits, two servings of low-fat probiotics (yoghurt, cottage cheese, etc.). You can have either two whole eggs or 3 egg whites for breakfast. Low-fat condiments are allowed in moderation.

Cycle 2: alternate days of Cycle 1 with Cycle 2 days; on the latter, you are allowed 2 servings of certain carbs (rough-cut oatmeal, potatoes, peas, etc.) and a wider selection of meats (beef, pork, etc.)

During Cycles 1 and 2 you are expected to get 17 minutes of exercise a day.

Cycle 3: add more choices of carbs (bread, pasta), meats (turkey bacon), fats (avocado) and fruit (bananas); carbs still should be eaten before 2 pm and meat servings are restricted as to size. A few snacks added. Exercise increased in Cycle 3.

If you still have more weight to lose, you go back to Cycle 1, and continue the process from the beginning.