The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Insurance "recovery" firms going after farm insurance!

I'm wondering if any of you other barn owners have experienced this. One of my boarders slipped on a step last December and twisted/sprained her ankle. Not sure which, she did not make a big deal of it but the next day I made sure to make the step wider and to put an anti-slip cover over it so no one else would slip. Recently she told me that her health insurance company called and was all over her about how and where she slipped and clearly wanted to find someone else to shift the expense of her one doctor visit to. She told them to f___ off. Today she showed me a letter she received from a company called "Healthcare Recoveries." Their apparent purpose is to find someone else to pay the insurance company for any outlays they make for accidents experienced by their insured. Has anyone else had any experience with this? The boarder did NOT blame us at all - it was December and icy - but the health insuror obviously wants to shift the cost to us. We have always insisted that our boarders and riders have health insurance. With this, it appears that even if your boarder is insured and in no ways holds your responsible for their injury, their health insuror may try to get you or your insurance company to pay. If this is how things are going I think it is time to retire! I'd love comments from anyone on this.

Yes they do that. When I have gotten one I put in the comments "My stupid fault" and they stop looking for people to reclaim monies from.

I've rec'd those notices on every "incident" I've had since being back with BCBSTX. When I had surgery for DDD and they went fishing for another party to blame - I sent back the response - "it seems to be bad conformation - blame my parents"
    Last edited by 2BayPonies; May. 2, 2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: *spelling*

Turn it over to your insurance company and let them deal with it.

Yes, that is the way things are going - and have been for a long time. Sorry.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Yep, when I came off my horse last summer and got stepped on, I received three letters from my insurance company trying to get information on anyone they could get $ out of. Very irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BayPonies View Post
    I've rec'd those notices on every "incident" I've had since being back with BCBSTX. When I had surgery for DDD and they went fishing for another party to blame - I sent back the response - "it seems to be bad conformation - blame my parents"
    LOL, I love it!

I just got one as well, had a few injuries in the last year, one by horse and one by playing with my dog.... seems BCBS wants to sue them.... Both were 100% my fault for being stupid and clutzy.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

I've gotten similar letters in the past. I just say it was my fault, it happened on my own property etc. I would never make someone else pay for something like that. Whether the insurance company comes after your insurance company or not depends on how your boarder answers those questions.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Right, like the time I fell down my boyfriend's stairs outdoors - there they go, all looking for the name of the property owner. they put on the letter "and don't just not respond to this, because it won't go away". Okaaay, you want to threaten me? Intimidate me? Actually that was a threat of harrassment, so I didn't respond. Kept a copy of it, got another one, and didn't respond to that either. They went away. Three years later, just recently, I got another one. I wrote back - I don't remember where I was at the time. Haven't heard back yet.

Another time, took an ambulance ride to the emergency clinic because I fell at my own house (rented) and sprained my wrist. I should have driven myself, but people thought it was broken so there you go. Got a letter "give name of your landlord." Yeah, right, gonna sue my landlord, that will really get me a nice tidy lease renewal in the spring. Ignored them, never heard from them again.

Scum bag slum dog Sleezies.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Whether they come after the other insurance company depends on how the person answers the questions, but they will write the letters in such a way that it makes you think you must have already told them it was someone elses fault.

Really sleezy.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

look up the address of their home office building and list that as the location

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post

My husband has back problems.

Over the years I have received a few letters from our health insurance company wanting us to fill out more information, such as did this happen at work, was it an auto accident, etc.?

I just throw them away.

Happy Trails~
    Joyce

Recently, I got a letter from my insurance co. asking where I got injured for a doctor's bill... it was for a PAP SMEAR! Not only are they sleazy, they're idiots!

Hahaha downen. That takes the cake!

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    all joking aside, remember that you can be prosecuted with insurance fraud if you do lie to an insurance company.

I've never received one, but I think I did give my vet a few seconds of heart failure once.

Couple of years ago, I badly injured both hands in an accident AT THE VET CLINIC. Severe rope burns - 2nd and 3rd degree - to 8 fingers and left palm. Both thumbs spared. It was 6 months before the last bandage came off - all outpatient treatment, but it hurt like nothing else in my life, and I never want to have something top it, either. The worst finger, right index, is still badly scarred, that hand is swollen still at baseline, and that one spot still hurts and I have to be careful how I angle pressure while using it. I have some other odd scars and numb spots on the fingers from this, but the right index was the worst by far.

Anyway, it happened at the vet clinic. I was picking up the mares after hours, by prior arrangement with them. Due to my job, couldn't get there during regular hours. They left the mares in a corral out back with a tub of water. I showed up, had a stupid loading accident. (When your horse seriously spooks, truly is panicked for a moment, and with extreme intent decides to head outta Dodge, LET GO OF THE ROPE!!!) I said a few appropriate words, caught mare, loaded mare, loaded other mare, drove the rig 45 minutes home while alternating every few seconds which hand held my ice-cold Coke, unloaded mares, and drove myself to the ER. The whole while saying, "What a stupid accident. Let go of the rope, moron."

The one thing that nobody ever asked me was where it happened. Not at the ER, not later. It truly never came up. I said correctly that it was a horse accident with a lead rope, and that it was my own stupid fault.

Months later, with me finally getting the last bandage off, I took a horse to the clinic for something. The vet noted my right hand, visibly swollen, visibly scarred, still being used gingerly. I gave him a chronicle of the injury and showed him that worst spot, and then, just in conversational coincidence, mentioned, "Actually, it happened here."

He froze for a second, and I honestly did not understand the expression of horror until a little later. Bad injury, sure, but why should where it happened scare him. "Here? You mean RIGHT HERE? At OUR CLINIC????"

I was still in full conversational mode. "Yes, here. So, what do you think about . . ." And off I went on a question on the animal we had there that day. He followed me into vet talk, but he still looked rattled.

Honestly took me until a bit later for the puzzle pieces to click. Yes, I seriously and with permanent effects injured myself at their place of business when I was there all alone with their permission. And no, I never once thought of suing them. Could have happened anywhere; just happened to happen there. It was an accident.

I think I must have taken a few years off the poor vet's life, though.

Yep, when Rico kicked me a few years ago, resulting in my first ambulance ride ever,they letters came in. Who's horse? Mine. Who's propery? Mine.

So after around 9 months another letter comes in. Was there a trainer or other responsible adult present? No.

They really work hard at not paying for what you pay those riduculously high premiums for.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

A few years ago I was at the barn alone one saturday morning. I was leading my mare and her buddy out to the pasture. My back suddenly went from hurting to excruciating. I turned them loose and collapsed onto the ground. Eventually I crawled to the fence, made my way to my car (cell phone) and DH drove me to the ER for what turned out to be a back spasm. My ins company hounded me for months asking me was I at work? What was I doing? Why did it happen? Whose fault was it? It got annoying but they did finally stop. It is really stupid and I hope nothing comes of it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannonjk View Post
    all joking aside, remember that you can be prosecuted with insurance fraud if you do lie to an insurance company.
    would not lie, would go there and fall down

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannonjk View Post
    And they can refuse to pay or cancel your policy if you don't return their handy dandy little forms. It's all there in the fine print when you get the policy.

If the insured maintains it was his/her own fault, the insurance co will generally leave it alone, as it would not work well for them to go to court and have their prime witness saying that.
    Proud member of the EDRF