The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In the midst of Rolex....

Ok, so I only had Rolex in the title in hopes that my thread won't get lost because I am SOOO excited!!! Yesterday, I brought both my boys down to Round the Bend Farm in Pottstown PA (about a 3 hr drive) to do my first ever cross country schooling! And it was amazing!

My baby, who I orginally got into the idea of eventing because of him, got two strange sores/bites above his withers, so he only came down to learn to tie to the trailer (which he did like a champion). My ex-jumper got to be my test dummy instead. He's an 11yo OTTB who schools 3'3 at home comfortably, but neither he nor I have ever seen a cross country course up close. He can be a little neurotic, so for once I was very forward and aggressive when jumping and it worked out really well.

He went over the first few jumps great since they were pretty small; had some difficulty with a log on the ground laying in front of a suspended log, but once I took him the other way, he was great; did the water great, the ditch great, the coops great, the logs great.....you get the idea. He didn't want to step off the bank, but he would go up it, and he wanted nothing to do with the red thoroughbred eating fence with the stone fill, but he was such a SUPERSTAR!!!

Of course my SO took a bunch of pictures. If you can't access them via facebook, I am more than happy to put them on my photobucket. I want to share what a GREAT time I had!!

Friendly critiques if you want. I know my stirrups were too long. You can go to my blog to read the totaly in depth experience, but the overall message is: WOO HOO!!! Can I add a few more of these?

Whoops. ETA the pictures. Duh.
    Last edited by MightyBobbyMagee; May. 3, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Default Good for you!

I love to hear stories of the young ones doing a great job on their outings. Thanks for sharing and have a fun summer.

Aw, I bet your seasoned jumper loved the change of scenery! Looks like you had so much fun!