The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Chicken experst!

Anyone out there speak chicken? I need some help figuring out what to do with a silkie bantam rooster. We have had our little guy for about a year now. Last spring he arrived by way of an eagle!....true story. I was sitting in my living room when I noticed a some excitement outside and an eagle with something orange in its talons. Thinking it might be a cat (we had had a cat disappear recently) I ran outside. The eagle dropped its bundle and flew away. Poor , but lucky, little chicken staggered past me and huddled against the house in shock. I expected him to die from shock if nothing else, but he survived and is not a full grown rooster.

Last year he was a young chicken and was very easy to handle, pick up etc and he got a long with the dogs and cats. Now, no surprise, he is starting to be a bit aggressive! He is pretty much okay with me, but has been aggressive with people coming to the front door. In particular he seems to have it in for my mom!

He will do a little dance and step sideways into my legs. What is that all about? Mostly, he just wants to hang out with someone, but then will get aggressive and fly at your legs. So, can chickens learn good behavior? Sorry if that is a stupid question! We don't really want to invest in a chicken coop and don't want any more chickens. I have asked around and don't have any takers on a part time aggressive rooster. If I can drop him off with a friends RIR chickens including roosters, will he just get picked on? Any suggestions for me! Thanks in advance!

Get him some girl chickens. Sorry, but that's the only thing I can think of!

south eastern US

I used to have a black silkie rooster who acted the same way. He'd come up behind me and do this little sideways stomping dance and as soon as you'd turn towards him he'd nail you. He was carried off by a dog but found his way home, practically before I was done celebrating his demise. He was the meanest little stinker ever. He ruined I don't know how many pairs of pants by poking holes in them, not to mention poking holes in people. He'd come after me, I'd punt him across the yard and he'd come right back. I even chased him around the house once after he came after me and gashed my leg. I threw a 2x4 after him and I thought I'd killed him. I went to get the shovel and when I got close enough to pick his sorry little carcass up he jumped up and ran under the chicken coop. He finally died of old age a few years later. One thing I can say is if that eagle dropped him in your yard he wasn't doing you any favors. Hated that little bugger.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sigh...welcome to the world of Rooster Adolescence.
    My 8mo IToldYOuNotToBeARooster is having the same issues.

He is challenging you & being King Roo to your visitors.
    That little dropwing dance is a mating thing.
    Supposed to impress the heck out of whatever hen he has his weeny little mind & "part" set on

If you can grab him, pick him up and carry him around like a football for a bit that should establish you as Boss.

Do this whenever he goes for someone or threatens you and make sure you carry him near whoever he challenged.
    Even make them pet him while you hold him.
    All Tres Embarassing to a rooster.

If this doesn't work he needs to go to Freezer Camp and get promoted to Coq Au Vin.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Yeah, he's just being a rooster. Get him some hens or something to boss around and remind him you still own the place.

(That is, however, the most AWESOME animal-acquisition story I've ever heard. If you were in ancient Rome or something that would be some kind of fantastic omen and he'd be a holy rooster.)

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    (That is, however, the most AWESOME animal-acquisition story I've ever heard. If you were in ancient Rome or something that would be some kind of fantastic omen and he'd be a holy rooster.)
    Teehee - Your rooster just wants you to worship him.

I tend to think they are worse in the spring time and that end of summer/fall he might not be quite so aggressive but next spring he will be the same if not worse. I agree w/the poster above - don't turn your back on him as they will jump you. I have one that I've taken to throwing anything I have at hand at him. Yesterday the step stool got him thinking it might be a good idea to quit while ahead. For some reason he didn't attack when I was moving cinder blocks.

Pacific NW

Wow, quite a story! Makes me feel better. I sat here and watched an eagle take my little rooster away. I was sure he ended up dinner...but now I can dream that he dropped out of the sky onto a friendly farm and is living the good life!
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Hey foggybok! Since I am in the Pacific NW as well, he could be yours! Let me know if you want your rooster back!