The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who has a heeler?

I have a 3 year old female Blue Heeler....I love her, she was the best $100 I've spend (to bail her out of doggy jail)

However everyone in my apartment complex seems to think she's a wolf instead of a heeler
    Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

We just put our 14 y/o dingo/heeler cross to sleep before Christmas and I miss her every day! She was really my husband's dog, but I she tolerated me . She was, hands down, the world's best dog. Sometimes I think she was part human, she was so clever! Perfect farm dog and the definition of "man's best friend". RIP, Carli Sue, we still miss you every day!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I've got one, she turns heads everywhere she goes. She's a good dog, but the next one will come as a small puppy due to behavioral issues with this one.

I've been told she looks like a coyote.

Here is my little heeler mutt mix thing:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=784270214
    (Public link, you'll be able to see it, Facebook user or no.)

And as a puppy:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=784270214

We think her other part is probably Husky, but who knows. She is a really super dog, loves people, but is not so big on other dogs. Well, that's not really true. She is more than happy to play with other dogs (I have two others, in addition to many friends with dogs) and has never picked a fight in her life. However, she is also quite independent, and will go off to do her own thing.

For example, yesterday we went out with a big group of dogs (all Goldens and Labs) for a walk through the woods and a dip in the reservoir. All the other dogs were off leash and content to stick around their owners, and I was encouraged to let Kali off her leash because "she just wants to stay with the other dogs!". I went "Ehh, I don't think so." but was eventually peer pressured into it. She had been interacting with the other dogs, who were all swimming and fetching sticks. (She has no interest in either swimming or fetching. ) I let her off and she sat near me for a bit and then trotted off into the woods. I called her for a bit and she didn't come, and finally started going after her. She turned back at one point to see me trotting after her, saying "Come!" and she happily trotted back towards me and let me leash her back up. No drama, you could just clearly see her thinking: "Hmm....what's the big deal with water? This is boring. I'm going to go explore! Hum de hum, ohhh, bushes! Trees! Rocks! Oh, hi mom! You're coming too!? Hi!"

So she's pretty independent. No desire to "stick with the pack" the way Goldens and some other breeds do. She's probably one of the best dogs I've had, though, I really quite enjoy her.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I had 2. Gypsy is more heeler than Jewel. both blues. both went with the family when they moved out. both are great dogs. different -- Jewel is FAR more intense than Gypsy (usually... Gypsy is generally lazy if she can get away with it).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I have four (2 purebred, 2 mixed). All were given to me. I'm the fourth owner of one and she was only 9 months old when I got her. The two purebreds were deemed "evil". They now have seven obedience titles between them. They make my life crazy at times but I love them dearly.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Me, me,me!! I have two at the moment. My blue male is now 10 yrs old and he was given to me by a rescue that could not place him due to behavior and health problems. Truly one of my besst dogs and he is my right hand man around the farm. My other one is a red female that I bought from a breeder and what a HELLION she is! Yikes! She was the most dominant, growly, evil, indepent puppy I have ever had! She is now 10 months old and is turning into a great, great dog. I just adore her! I am even thinking of getting another one. Maybe another rescue this time. I love the hardness and drive of this breed.With my last champion boy I even did Ring Sport with him. Now that was a sight to see a little 40 lb blue bullet taking down a 190 man! While they are a fab breed they definantly are not for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    With my last champion boy I even did Ring Sport with him. Now that was a sight to see a little 40 lb blue bullet taking down a 190 man! While they are a fab breed they definantly are not for everyone!

My ex-SIL did Ring Sport with Beaucerons. I used to take my very first ACD with me when I went to visit. Watching that 17" tall dog clear a 5' solid wall was something that nobody will ever forget . She would do anything for me if she understood what I wanted. If my husband gave her a command and I was within her sight she would look at me first to see if it was what I wanted her to do. I had to say "okay" or she would ignore him . She was a true once in a lifetime dog. I have 2 others now that I love, but not one will ever hold the place in my heart that she does. They are truly special dogs and definitely not for just anybody.
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

I'm down to one 3yr old heathen, I mean Heeler, at the moment.

Started with a half-ACD / half blind date who was the Energizer Bunny on meth. That should have been a clue <g>. Added a rescue red, then another, lost the first red to hemangiosarcoma, lost the half-Heeler to the same cancer, added a rescued blue 2 years ago, and liver cancer took my second red about a month ago.

Seems like a lot, but I started with Sam when he was just 10 weeks old in January, 1990; four dogs in 20 years isn't so many.

have a half blue heeler half german shorthair pointer that will be 9 this fall, he is a good boy that started to settle down some at 3

loves his tennis ball, its his job next to watching the horses and trail riding

doesn't have the best "come" and doesn't heel but his other commands are pretty good and he is adored by my husband and me and goes with us everywhere and people love to look at him and pet him

I have a 1/2 blue heeler 1/2 aussie shep. She looks like an aussie with a tail in in a classic blue heeler coat pattern. Super smart, super loyal she is the greatest dog. She will be eight this year. She was by far the best $20 I ever spent! (although tack on a few big vet bills and its more like the best $5k I ever spent, but whos counting).

I fell in love with the breed when I worked on a ranch in WY and there were two there. One a grumpy old cow dog that loved me by the end of the summer (no small task for sure) and a BC Heeler mix that was useful smart (she'd shut gates and doors, and retrieve stuff) unlike my dog who does nothing useful and refused to learn "give your paw" for the first 6 years, even though I KNOW she knew exactly what I was asking her to do.

They are amazing dogs, and I love the mix with either Aussies or BCs.

We have a blue heeler and a red heeler. They are the best dogs ever! We'll never own another breed again. Of course, they are not the best choice for everyone... they are very intelligent and high energy, and not all owners can handle that combination. For us, they are perfect. <3

I have a Blue Heeler/Border Collie mix. She's such a good dog. Very smart & very playful.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I have a female blue heeler. She's nuts.

We are naming the farm after her: Crackerdog Farm

Have 2! Both rescues, and wouldn't trade them for the world, although some days I really could kill them!! My female is 9 now and her hips are really starting to slow her down, my boy is 3ish and still crazy! They answer to Bad Dog Browns, and Oz thinks his full name is Ozzy Dummy DoDo! He's my agility star, and goes everywhere with me. He goes to work, and watches the truck while I run errands. My next one is going to be my AKC show puppy, I"ve got a few years but have already picked out which stud I like lol!

Won't have any other breed from here on out! If you can deal with their highmaintence needs they are the best dogs ever!

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...se%20and%20Oz/

their photobucket!

I have 2, both from Amish farms. I could write a book about them and post a million pictures, but I'll refrain.

Darcy the first day we got her
    Emily the day we got her

I love how fat their little legs are when they're puppies!

Here are the girls now
    And just for a funny picture...
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I have one CD/Aussie mix - he is a bull in a china shop! We tease that he must have been deprived of oxygen at birth bc he does the stupidest things sometimes!

He's otherwise a great dog. He woke up one morning after I had my daughter - and decided to be a guard dog. Now you can't come near the house if he doesn't know you. But my 2yo can ride him and pull him around by his ears. Good boy!

The other 2 are pure Aussies. What a difference!

I lost my BC x heeler last year to liver cancer - d@mn dog!! he thought he was top dog and my protector and he never, ever let me know he was sick until it was way, way too late. I was his 4th owner at 5 months old. Talk about an energizer bunny! I taught him how to walk on a leash and I gave him a 'job' to do. I took him to agility classes. He was absolutely brilliant!! The instructors loved him. He was smart and he was quick. They told me to teach him to play with toys so the toy could be his reward. Uh uh. He didn't do no toys. His reward was to get to run back through the tunnel again at about 90 - 100 mph. You should have seen those tunnels rocking and rolling. Oh my

He stuck by me like glue. He was very protective without ever being agressive. If he thought I were in danger he gave a low, deep throated growl as a warning. That was all he needed. He was sooooooooo fit and muscular the terrified anyone he felt it necessary to growl at. I never felt unsafe with him by my side. Besides agility, he knew about 25 tricks and would impress the heck out of people. He was a pain in the a$$ sometimes, but Lord do I miss my Dash. Dashleigh McLeash to those who didn't know him, Dash to his friends. He was always dashing about - an absolute busybody and an incredible athlete. RIP Dash. I want another one, but it would never be the same.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I have a heeler / austrailian shepherd cross and she is the best dog! She's a great herder, excellent with kids and strangers, and just so sweet. She's a little funny about things though! She HATES to wear anything. We can't keep a collar on her because no matter what, she'll get it off. She also gets extremely upset if we put a sweater on her in the winter. She will just sit there and stare at you as if saying "kill me now."

I will add though that she was the absolute worst puppy... ever. Somewhere down the line she turned into a great dog though!

We have one blue heeler right now, a coming 7 year old female. We had two before our boy passed away last summer. They are such SMART dogs, which can get them in trouble sometimes. I would definitely say that they are an awesome breed, but also definitely agree that they are NOT for everyone! The best heelers have jobs and they put 110% into what they do!