The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default all purpose saddle recommendations

Greetings from the dressage forum. I have decided to get an all purpose saddle to alternate with my dressage saddle. I found out that it relieves the pressure on my sore hips to ride in a more forward seat. Going from a deep seat dressage saddle to a close contact saddle would be a shock, so I'm looking for a really comfortable all purpose or event saddle, new or used, that I could get for no more than $1,000. My horse is not hard to fit, medium tree, no high withers or anything.

Black would be preferable, since all my other tack is black. But it's not a deal killer.

Any ideas?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I'm sure it's going to depend on what fits your horse, but you could find a Stueben A/P in pretty good shape for less than 1K.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Kieffer aachen is an option http://compare.ebay.com/like/2806622...=263602_309572

You could probably also find a black Berney Bros. More in the $1100 range, but very nice at www.hastilowusa.com. Under shopping and used saddles at bottom.

I highly recommend going used. I personally have never sat in a wintec I find comfy, but that or the flex-rider also options. Flex- rider and some other options well priced at www.classicsaddlery.com
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have a Passier A/P that I adore, on the PS Baum tree. It has fit quite a few horses and currently fits beautifully on my fairly average-backed little mustang. You can find them used for not a ton of money.

The most comfortable AP saddle I've ever sat in is the Wintec AP.

I know several endurance riders who use these in the 25/50 mi rides because they're comfortable for human and horse.

And they're black.

(Of course, saddle comfort and personal conformation varies widely, and you need to find the saddle that's most comfortable for you.)

Loved my old Crosby AP, I regret selling it, but it was too narrow for my horse. Collegiate Senior Event is a MEGA comfy saddle, I'd have bought one but the flaps were too straight for jumping for my freaky things. Both are very affordable, used Crosby is around $400-500, Collegiate under $1k.

Sit in a bunch!! We all like different saddles for different reasons and no 2 are quite the same.

I have a Bates AP that I simply adore.