The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Lets see, it almost killed my friend Tom's afghan, and it did kill one of my greyhounds. My vet, who is exceedingly well respected will no longer prescribe it for any sighthound. There have been any number of adverse reactions reported. These were not cases of owner error or misuse. Sighthounds are exceedingly sensitive to pesticides. They are also exceedingly sensitive to certain types of anesthesia. The old barbituate anesthesias used to kill many of them dead. It has to do with the lack of body fat these breeds have. For me sighthounds are Greyhounds, Afghans, Salukis, Whippets, Deerhounds, Wolfhounds, Ibizans, Pharohs, Italian Greyhounds.
    Is is just the body fat or something else? If just the fat, then what about other lean breeds like Doberman Pinschers that aren't sight hounds?

According to my vet, ProMeris is the only thing that is works against fleas AND ticks.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    According to my vet, ProMeris is the only thing that is works against fleas AND ticks.
    Promeris is being discontinued. The company, Pfizer, will fill current orders while supplies last. The company has no plans to replace the product with a similar one. I personally couldn't stand the smell of the stuff. That and it seemed to take days for it to sink in and spread out.

the Sprigntime garlic with brewers yeast has worked well for us...not so well for the fleas but worked well for the ticks. Frontline does not work here/Advantage or Advantix do.

I would also say this if Promeris was the product I stocked my shelves with

A topical with permethrin in it like Vectra 3d or Advantix are best for ticks. Amtrak collars are the best- paralyze tick mouth parts so that they can't attach. It's safe to use with the other topicals though I have had a rep say it may decrease the topical's efficacy. Haven't seen research to back this up.

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    the Sprigntime garlic with brewers yeast has worked well for us...not so well for the fleas but worked well for the ticks. Frontline does not work here/Advantage or Advantix do.
    I'm right down the road in Harrisburg, and Frontline works great for my dogs.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

we have done well by Advantix here

I'm using PetArmor, the generic Frontline Wal-Mart is now carrying (much cheaper than Frontline at the vet, OTC, and most of all safe around cats like Frontline--I can't use anything on the dogs that could harm the cats.) My two are now looking much more tick-free, but I found the first couple much earlier than last year. The neighbor dogs are having a terrible time and even the pony's had a couple (though surprisingly few considering how high the grass is. She's grazing on my yard these days--keeps my grass down, gives their paddocks a break.) I had the devil's own time finding the PetArmor in the medium-weight sizes. The local store was sold out of everything except large breed, and I got the last two packages of medium-weight at the store near the barn. All the flea and tick stuff is flying off the shelves around here.