The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ticks!

OMG, is anyone else suddenly inundated?

We are in SE MA, and I have never seen it this bad. Dogs were treated with Advantix exactly one month ago. I must have pulled at least 15 ticks off yesterday, and they were only outside on walks and in their dog run. I retreated one, then realized I have to go to the vet for more Advantix. Poor dogs (an us), we all have the creepy crawlies.

YES. In Indiana here. Took my dogs out in the fields this weekend, they had had advantix 2 weeks ago. I was pulling them off me right after the walk (forgot to put spray on ME). Then I have been finding various ones since. Egads...my terriers and I are tick taxis!

In addition to whatever topical you use, add a Prevtick collar (Amitraz). Ticks are getting quite resistant and tough to prevent anymore.
    If you use an Amitraz collar it has to be snug enough to be ON the skin. On long haired dogs it often helps to shave a ring around their neck so the collar is actually ON the skin. So you want it snug. Cut the extra off. It won't help with ticks and if your dog (or another) chews or eats it, it is very toxic. CHange them every 3 months.
    And use your Advantix/FrontlinePlus, etc religously.

Oh, do NOT use Amitraz on cats or horses. Fatal.

Thanks yet again, Meghan! Getting some today.

Do not use Preventix on any sighthounds either..This is going to be a horrible tick year. Tick populations love wet weather and we have had a ton this year. It has been bad here in Southern PA for a month. I own a grooming business in Maryland and have pulled at least twenty ticks off my regular grooming customer's dogs in the last week and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Do not use Preventix on any sighthounds either...
    Why? People use xylazine in sighthounds all the time. The 2 are in the same class of drug.

Oh, and what breeds do you count as sighthounds? Cuz that varies from country to country.

i've used Frontline spray for 13 yrs with great luck. then one day, about 9 months ago, i found a bunch of ticks on my dogs. I asked the vet , she told me she had noticed that frontline had become ineffective against ticks. She has me using Vectra 3-D which is not as appealing b/c it is a spot on treatment which i hate. it's supposed to be less greasy than most, but is still a mess to my 8 and 10 lb dogs. But it's working so far.

Lets see, it almost killed my friend Tom's afghan, and it did kill one of my greyhounds. My vet, who is exceedingly well respected will no longer prescribe it for any sighthound. There have been any number of adverse reactions reported. These were not cases of owner error or misuse. Sighthounds are exceedingly sensitive to pesticides. They are also exceedingly sensitive to certain types of anesthesia. The old barbituate anesthesias used to kill many of them dead. It has to do with the lack of body fat these breeds have. For me sighthounds are Greyhounds, Afghans, Salukis, Whippets, Deerhounds, Wolfhounds, Ibizans, Pharohs, Italian Greyhounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Lets see, it almost killed my friend Tom's afghan, and it did kill one of my greyhounds. My vet, who is exceedingly well respected will no longer prescribe it for any sighthound. There have been any number of adverse reactions reported. These were not cases of owner error or misuse. Sighthounds are exceedingly sensitive to pesticides. They are also exceedingly sensitive to certain types of anesthesia. The old barbituate anesthesias used to kill many of them dead. It has to do with the lack of body fat these breeds have. For me sighthounds are Greyhounds, Afghans, Salukis, Whippets, Deerhounds, Wolfhounds, Ibizans, Pharohs, Italian Greyhounds.
    In many parts of the world collies are also considered sight hounds. Not in the US though. Hmm, so are they, or aren't they?

"Old barbituate anesthesias" didn't used to kill many of them, when used properly. I know of huge colonies of greyhounds how used to get anesthetized with barbiturate based anesthestics every 6 months. No deaths.
    The issue with "sighthounds" is that barbituates redistribute from the brain to other tissues to allow recovery from anesthesia. This is true in ALL critters (2 or 4 legged). They go from brain to muscle to fat, following a concentration gradient. In any lean dog (not just sight hounds) there is little fat for the drug to to go so the muscle gets saturated, meaning it doesn't leave the brain as quickly. The result is prolonged recoveries. It should not result in death unless the drug is being given without assessing whether or not more anesthetic is needed.
    This was more of a problem way, way, way back when we using pentobarbital. Back before gas anesthesia was used. When we were using thiopental it was not an issue, as long as a single induction dose was used. If you had to use repeated doses, then saturation could become an issue and recoveries could be prolonged. Today, neither is an issue. For one, both have gone out of vogue. For another thio is no longer made, and pentobarb is scarse as hens teeth and right pricey.
    As for the sighthound sensitivity to pesticides...I won't argue with your vet as I don't know them, or the rest of the story. But after researching this, I couldn't find anything about it in the veterinary literature. Oh well, call me ignorant I guess.

They are both now treated with Advantix, and, so far, no new ticks. Crossing my fingers.

We swear by the Preventix collars! When the setters go out for hunt trials I leave them on and they come back clean! The ticks will not settle on a dog wearing one. They are worth their weight in gold!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Well I picked an embedded tick off my young dog last nite. I treated him with Advantix on Sunday morning. Perhaps it had reached its expiration date, perhaps the fact that it was raining that day and I couldn't keep the dogs from getting rained on as they did their 'duties' was a factor. I don't know. But my next steps will be to look into the Prevtick collar although that may have to be reserved for walks and such as the dogs do play together and could grab onto the collar while playing.

Hannah: Put the collars on "tight". They shouldn't be able to grab them off each other (well, shouldn't and will are 2 different things, I know)

Use the collar with the topical. And if Advantix isn't working for you try Frontline Plus. If that doens't get it, go to Vectra.

Much as I hate saying this, you can find the collars under other names at feed stores and such. Just look for Amitraz as the active ingredient.

And again: NOT ON CATS OR HORSES!!!!!

Here in SE PA the ticks are BAD already. Our crew just got Advantix this past weekend and we're still pulling a few ticks off every time they come in. We used the Advantix because of the poor responses to Frontline this past year and we do see *fewer* ticks...but not a complete absence. We do live next to a partially heavily wooded area, and with the weather we've been having (warm and SO damp) I don't know if anything will be completely effective anymore.

I was half asleep the other morning, giving Pippin skritches, and felt a bump. Well, he gets little skin scabbies every now and then so I wasn't concerned.

Pulled it off with my nail, looked at it, screeched and did the ooogie oogie dance.

Tick went flying. I have no idea were it went, but I stripped my bed, mopped the floors, and inspect every piece of bedding before I go to bed.

ugh.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Frontline doesn't work at all against ticks here anymore. Advantix does- but you realize it takes some time, a day or so, to kill them? finding them on the dog doesn't mean it isn't being killed?

the discussion about dogs sensitive to drugs- are you talking about the well-known mutation certain dog lines carry? http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

We went back to sprinking their food with garlic power a couple of years ago instead of continuing with all of the chemicals that never seems to work well anyway. We're not sure they're much better but they certainly aren't worse and I hope healthier. Try it and see if it works for you.

Our Great Pyrennes is very sensitive to tick bites. He had erlychia (sp), a tick borne disease, three years ago and suffered seizures. The next year he had a reoccurrence with a couple of small seizures. Along with antibiotic treatment he has been on Frontline for the best part of each year - even through the very cold winter months...that minus 28 degrees we had last Feb. just seems to invigorate the damn ticks. For the past 4 months I've seen almost no relief with the Frontline, picking ticks off multiple times every day even though the dog lives on an enclosed, wooden floor porch, his yard is treated with diazonine pellets and/or 10% pyrthryn spray and he walks/runs on gravel roads - no deep grass. When he had a small seizure a couple of weeks ago - a week after the Frontline application - I got one of the Preventix collars. The vet had me wait another week before putting the collar on due to the Frontline, but since I did, the tick issues are pretty well solved!! I HATE ticks!! I pull them off and wack them with a hammer!! Best "sure thing" killer!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

We find the best way to use the preventic collar is not only to have it firmly on the dog, but we often shave a small area where the collar sits on the underside of the neck. I would also suggest in high flea/tick areas that you use the products (Frontline, Advantix, etc) more frequently than once a month. Anywhere from every 2 to 3 weeks. I don't live in a huge tick area but my dogs also get lyme vaccines.