The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who got to meet Peter Atkins at Rolex?!

I am a huge Peter and Henny fan, so I was very excited to see him at Rolex even though he wasn't riding since Henny is still coming back from his colic surgery. He was just hanging out in a booth at the trade fair, I walked right by him the first time, there was no sign or anything. No one was noticing him there, I got to sit and chat with him all by myself for like 15 mins! He was talking to me about people rides on CC (I met him Saturday) and talked about Henny. It was SO COOL He signed my Run Henny Run hat and I bought his DVDs of Rolex and WEG with commentary. It made my day to meet him. This is why I love our sport - the top riders are actually accessible and really try to meet their fans.

Me and Peter!!
    http://www.baywindfarm.com/forum/alb...ictureid=21015

I met him there too, super nice guy. I bought the WEG helmet cam video. He was promoting some kind of probiotic, I'm not sure what, but he was great to talk to.

I did, I did!! I went on part of his course walk on Friday (ran out of time!), then chatted with him a bit at the booth today too, walking away with a hat and DVD as well. I would soooooo like to clinic with him! His course walk was excellent- got much more into the theory behind the ride as well as the technical aspects. He seems to be an excellent teacher, not to mention a very nice person!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I went on his course walk too! We need some sort of COTH button so we can recognize fellow COTHers.

I will comment that "kicking the horse in front of the girth on the shoulder" probably works for Peter Atkins but not for someone with stubby legs such as myself!

We hung out a bit this weekend, but I already knew him--does that count?

P.S. I have him in for clinics periodically--if you want to be added to my mailing list for such things shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by LAZ; May. 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Adding PS

I think he seems like a great teacher too.

Agreed on the COTH button!!

I met him! My daughter got sucked into the video and stood mesmerized in front of the tv. He was soooooo nice! I'd love to ride with him
    There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees
    Breeding TBs, Connemaras and TB/Conn crosses for eventing
    www.twistoffateeventing.com

Me! Before Stadium started I was doing some last minute shopping and came across him selling his DVD's and hats. Introduced myself and bought a WEG DVD (I already had the Rolex one). He is super sweet, and gave me a big hug goodbye. One of the highlights of my weekend!

OMG, I did!!! I can't believe I am outing myself like this but I was the person he got to jump over the log (on foot!) on the course walk to demonstrate the evils of jumping ahead.... When I met him at his booth I behaved like a 12 year old at a Justin Bieber concert - how embarrassing. Like HHL, I have a picture with him at his booth after I bought his DVD's but unlike HHL, I look completely unhinged in my photo and don't dare to post it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    OMG, I did!!! I can't believe I am outing myself like this but I was the person he got to jump over the log (on foot!) on the course walk to demonstrate the evils of jumping ahead.... When I met him at his booth I behaved like a 12 year old at a Justin Bieber concert - how embarrassing. Like HHL, I have a picture with him at his booth after I bought his DVD's but unlike HHL, I look completely unhinged in my photo and don't dare to post it!!!!
    I was pretty dorkily excited to be meeting him. I think I got at least 3 hugs. I was ridiculous

I was on the course walk Friday too! Got there early and stayed until he declared it over It was so informational and the best course walk I've ever done. I loved how personable he was and the amount of detail he went into. And - did any one else notice how almost every point he made at the fences we covered about what riders would have difficulty with rang true on Saturday?! Biggest one I saw - coming in on the turn to the skinny brush in the Land Rover Hollows. Peter talked about riders pulling on the inside rein, causing the horses to drop their outside shoulders and drift, therefore causing run-outs. And... a lot of riders had run-outs there!

And thank you, LAZ, for having him over to your campsite Friday night. It was really nice to see how down to earth he is and meet everyone else you had over too! (I bet you're probably wondering who the heck I am at this point ).

Needless to say, I am super excited about riding with him in LAZ's event camp this July.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

He texted me....does that count? LOL... Sadly, I was at home prepping for my family practice rotation. Darn it all....

Seriously, if you get a chance to ride with him, do. Not only do I consider him a dear friend, but I also think he is an amazing instructor, and LoveLoveLoves the horses. does not surprise me that he had someone jump a log- Now, did he have you doing canter departs, too?
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Default and there he was

I was walking through the trade show and saw his mini-booth -- grabbed my husband, came back, and we chatted a bit. Super nice man, and on the coursewalk he offered some sage and prescient advice. I captured some of it on video, here is the only clip that has half-way decent sound. http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2011...-and-lyle.html

I wondered if the course inspired him to talk about accuracy and straightness, or if it's just something that's always an issue.
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

I wasn't there this weekend, but have known Peter for a while and have ridden with him -- if you get the chance to do so, grab it! Had a great grids session with him at a clinic probably 10 years ago and have never forgotten it!

Walked Red Hills with him in 1999, and picked up one of the most unusual, but helpful tips ever. He suggested his student "email" the horse pictures of each jump as you stood and studied them -- really focus on the jumps hard and send a mental picture of them "to" your horse, who was back in the stables.

Seemed sort of unusual, but I did it for every course walk thereafter, where I was competing. I always walked three times, and on my solo walk, would do this for each jump, or try to.

Can't explain why it works, but I can say that every single time I had a problem with a xc fence on course, it was one where I had not taken the time to stop and do this. Probably because I didn't focus clearly enough on those jumps in the course walk. It is a neat technique, though and one I've never forgotten!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

It's cool how many people already know him well. I've never even heard of him doing clinics until now. I've actually never done a clinic at all. Always wanted to, but I've only recently had the chance to buy a horse with Eventing potential. He's doing great, but I spend all my money on my weekly lessons!

He's one of the folks that makes me proud to be an eventer. Talk about being accessible and kind and considerate....what a guy. I'm a huge fan.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Does anyone know anything about the decision regarding Henny's ownership?

Peter said a decision has not been made yet, and he had to get Henny out on bond to have him at his stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairoshorses View Post
    He's one of the folks that makes me proud to be an eventer. Talk about being accessible and kind and considerate....what a guy. I'm a huge fan.
    same here!