The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saintly Vet Costs

So my beloved weim crossed the rainbow bridge recently. I was cleaning up some files, and ran across her vet file. I was shocked how much vet care she received over 12.5 years life and the low overall cost.

Here's the rough tally:
    Bloat surgery
    4 broken toe xrays
    Stitches for skin laceration
    5 emergency visits for tummy aches
    Overnight at emer vet clinic for tummy ache
    Yearly shots
    Monthly heart wormer/flee

All told, the lifetime tally was less than $7500. I think this is shockingly low considering the amount of "touch time". Somehow, I never wanted to add it up, but really it made me feel like is was such a small price to pay for such loyal devotion. My vets are saints, because they sure aren't getting rich of me.

To all the vets, thanks for all you do!
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

I'm sorry about your Weimie... ):

We've only had my dachshund for about 4 years, and she came to us at age 6, but we've racked up quite a lot in vet bills for her... no surgery, but a couple of emergency hospitalizations for gastroenteritis, plus a lot of regular maintenance eye drops and pills and joint supplements and stuff like that. I don't even want to think about how much we've spent.

What with her and our cats, all the vet techs at my vet's office know me by sight and voice, know my husband, know all our pets and all their various maladies and drugs and prescription foods, and greet us at the door with specific questions, comments, and our pick-ups already tallied and in the computer the second we walk in. I think we paid off all their collective student loans. d; But I love our vets and appreciate the whole office and all they do for us...

Unhappy

Sorry for your loss. I have a very fat folder containing my vet bills from the past 9 months. Not gonna add them up but I'd be surprised if it's less than $7500. I'd been pretty lucky up until then.

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I'm sorry about your weimie, but thank you for your sweet post!

I shadowed a small animal vet for a bit in high school. Always always always treat your vets well! They'd frequently perform a service that they could charge for, but didn't. If the owner was a real snot (like neglecting to tell them the dog bites) they'd make sure they charged for every toenail trimming. The vets were incredibly nice and encouraging, and even let me help with surgery (holding paws still for declawing etc).
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Sorry for your loss. My dog passed away over a year ago and she had some hefty vet bills in her day, but considering all the stuff she had done (surgeries, x-rays, overnight stays, etc) the prices were always fair. I love that vet and hate that I moved too far to use him.

I am so sorry for your loss. I too have had a lot of vet bills. I've set up my vet on auto pay, he gets paid a minimum of $50 every week (that works out to at least $2600 a year). I LOVE my vet. He has been treating all my animals for almost 20 years and several times he has not billed me for a pet's final days. I had a friend who used him too. While she was fighting breast cancer he treated all her animals for free. He's a great guy, with a good heart.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

So sorry about your dog!

I'm afraid to add up my dogs vet bills (although my vet is awesome and frequently doesn't charge us the full amount). Off the top of my head:

$6000 for two TPLO surgeries
    $300 to remove a bent back toe nail
    approx $1000/yr for all the testing and vet visits for her IBS symptoms.......and she's now 10 and been symptomatic for the last 3 years!

I LOVE my lab but next time I'm definatley taking out dog insurance!! (yeah, lesson learnt)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!