The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

IMO.. there is nothing better than the heart of a TB… I have of course also seen this "heart" in other horses and I LOVE ALLL HORSES! I work with mostly QH's now… far from my childhood, teens, and twenties, at WEF, but my first choice is always a TB… for some reason I have always bonded with them better than any others… this is just me… of course it's not the breed… obviously… lol.. it's the horse… but I just have the VERY BIASED opinion that they have the biggest hearts of any…. lol… I am soooo bad… and very biased… lol.. forgive me…
    Friend of bar.ka

I have loved many OTTBs. The only down side I have found is some of the wear and tear caused at the track.

Love Thoroughbreds!

I am guilty of stereotyping though - Nikki has moments that are the definition of the "typical" chestnut Thoroughbred mare!

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I think the majority of TBs tend to be bold, forward, and love a good challenge. Of course these are all wonderful traits (part of why I love a good TB) but many people do not know how to deal with that type of personality. I think there are a LOT of TBs that exhibit neurotic behavior and yes I think it is more common to TBs than warmbloods. However, I think it is not because they are inheritantly "crazy" but moreso due to the people involved and the training program they are put into. That bold personality does not do well on insufficient turnout or poor riding. Then you throw in the fact that many TBs are off the track and not always retrained properly and it's no wonder people think they are crazy.

As far as movement and conformation goes... Most TBs are bred for the racing industry whose ideals are moving further and further away from what we like to see in h/j horses in terms of conformation. Because many/most TBs are not purpose bred for h/j sport like warmbloods, you are naturally not going to see as many in the top of the sport. Obviously there are exceptions to this as I have seen some outrageously talented TBs out there (and even gotten to ride a couple).
    LOL, I don't know...my TB does pretty well with some pretty poor riding from me sometimes!

Seriously, though, I do know what you mean. It is probably easier to fry a TB's brain than some other breeds. I do think they can be fairly sensitive. Most of the TBs I've worked with (present one included) don't respond well to force - you work "together" or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    LOL, I don't know...my TB does pretty well with some pretty poor riding from me sometimes!

Seriously, though, I do know what you mean. It is probably easier to fry a TB's brain than some other breeds. I do think they can be fairly sensitive. Most of the TBs I've worked with (present one included) don't respond well to force - you work "together" or not at all.
    I find this true with my current gelding. He's an ass, but he's funny as hell. He knows where the line is and likes to cross it just to see what I do about it. I rarely lay and hand on him unless he's really out of line. The other gets fried if you look at him cross eyed. both are great guys though

My last one... not so much. His incredibly nice, patient, never-hits-unless-needed- professional rider said "He's a fan of corpral punishment". Even she gave up trying to explain thing to him. Just get after him as hard as you can for 10seconds, then leave him alone. Going at him with a crop was about the only way to beat sense into his thick skull. He was dumb as a rock, but five seconds after getting sense beaten into him, he'd be all "HEY there! How's it going?! HEY! I love you!!!!! HEY! did you hear me!? Hi!!!!" 4 years old, OTTB and he was as sweet, stupid, and lazy as any horse I"ve ever met. I'm not a fan of using beating as a 'training tool' but anything more subtle was lost on him. It took at LEAST 2 hits with a crop before he'd go "Oh, I'm in trouble. THat's cool " Stupid goofball
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Try riding a 'mad' 'crazy' Arab, because they are all hotter than hot, EVERYONE knows that.
    How come my Arab didn't come from the same factory as yours?!

But I agree, I have a wonderful TB that has the sweetest, sweetest, SWEETEST nature, owned him for twelve months and he has never ever put a foot wrong, he is a saint of a horse!

And a little side note, he moves better then all the other warmbloods on the property

My ottb is not the type of looker that generally has trainers saying, "Wow, nice horse" the second he walks off the trailer. I mean, he's attractive, sure, but I do not harbor any delusions that he is going to do the conformation hunters any time soon. He looks average, moves average, and jumps well but not spectacular by any stretch.
    So like I said, not one where trainers take any notice...

...until about half way through a lesson.
    Half way through a lesson pretty much every trainer I have ever ridden with has said, "What a nice horse!" He has a work ethic, willingness, and pleasant nature that wins everyone over. After a whole lesson, several trainers on both the hunter and dressage side of the spectrum have said "God I wish I could have a barn full of these" or "We need to clone him."

So I don't mind when people make dumb comments about TBs. I happen to ride a one-horse TB Fan Club Conversion Machine, so I just give him a pat, put his "OTTB" saddle pad on, and ride around and quietly let my horse do the talking.

I find breed bias doesn't last long in the face of his evident charm.

LOVE my TB's!!!!! ....but not ALL TB's are OTTB!!! That designation doesn't make them better or worse horses!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Yep, I do love TBs!
    Although, for a while I was scared of them. It took a few months, but I got over it with the help of a lovely gelding. And then I bought one. I love her to pieces, but she has a screw loose.

I'd love to see them return to the show ring in the "big classes" along with all the WBs.

There are going to be nutty horses in any breed, badly conformed horses in any breed, stars in any breed. It is unfair to put out generalizations about different breeds of horses.

The pony I learned to ride on, and that my daughters learned to ride on, was a Welsh/Arab cross. He was exquisitely beautiful and a saint, and he could jump the moon. I graduated from him to a purebred Arab, also a saint who could jump the moon.

Took time out for college and came back to riding on a Swedish Warmblood with fantastic movement and a huge jump, who would climb into your pocket if he could. Took time out for having babies and am now at a barn where I am equally madly in love with the Appendix QH mare who jumps bounce fences as oxers when she feels like it; the saintly old Paint; the fancy Oldenburg show hunter who looks just like my old Arab; the dark bay Thoroughbred I call the Ferrari; and the black Thoroughbred who, when I wasn't clear about counter canter aids the other day, gave me one-tempi changes: "Is this what you want? This? This?"

Maybe I just have an awesome barn? Maybe I've been lucky with horses all my life? Or maybe horses are completely amazing animals? I'm leaning towards option #3.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I happen to ride a one-horse TB Fan Club Conversion Machine
    Quoted for truth! My Arab was the kind of Arab who would make Olympic dressage trainers say: "I don't like Arabs, but I like him." So did I, ma'am. So did I.

When we went to look at the "14.3 hand quarter horse" for my daughter and saw the 16 hand TB, we almost walked away. But I rode him, my daughter rode him & it was love. What an awesome horse. Sure he's had his moments, but so did the quiet little QH I rode today that freaked out at a flapping tarp.
    This OTTB didn't appear to have had jumping training yet he never refused, never gave less than a sincere effort. His canter alone was worth the purchase price.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another thoroughbred.

Another TB fan here. Have to admit my mare is not OTTB, bought her from my trainer who had bred her. My mare is a good mover, decent jumper and will do anything I want to try. Team penning, parades, camping/trail riding, fox hunting, hunter paces? sure ok, mom lets go... I'm old enough that most of the horses I have ridden have been TB's or appendix's. Of the horses I have owned thru my life, I have owned one STB, two apps, and three TB's. Will I buy another TB? Sure will if it suits my requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Sadly, in my experience, it is frequently trainers that make negative comments about TBs. .
    Of cour$e they do. No trip to Germany. No big commi$$ion$. No cachet...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Well no secret I'm a TB person. I also breed warmbloods from my TB mare. It's not the done thing but I love what TB on the bottom has given me so far. Now mind you I have what I think is a decent mare passing in what I love about TB's. That's called a die trying attitude. My mare has only just started jumping the last couple of months. It doesn't matter how bad things get or how bad she meets a fence, she's going over. Does not know the meaning of stop. But I know where she gets it from.

I love warmbloods as well and I need them to breed the jumpers I want. I'm not going to change the world but am having fun so far seeing the fruits of my labor!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Standing Ovation********

I sell OTTB...Not Rescue them, and when people ask me if I have anything besides TB's, I smile and say there isn't any else

This thread reminds me of when my mom went to take a lesson at our local dressage trainer. When the lesson horse (WB) wouldn't move forward off my moms leg she gave him a good pop with the dressage whip. The trainer told my mom that was unnecessary. When my mom commented back the she never had a problem getting her TB forward, the trainer replied "Thomas is not a stupid TB, now get off of my horse!!!!" My mom dismounted and needless to say that was her last lesson there.
    I love a good TB, I love a good Wb... I love a good cross even better. Best of both worlds.
    And please don't tell any of the WB ONLY PEEPS, that there WB more than likely has some TB in there some where. Gasp!!! LOL
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

TBs rock, just getting back from Rolex, some amazing TBs there.

Word!!!!

I completely agree - I have had dozens of TBs and am known as the "TB Girl".

TB lover here!
    I had always heard such negative comments on TB's, especially ones off the track, so I stayed away from them at the beginning. Once I felt I was a competent enough rider, I took the plunge and got my first OTTB, and since then I have never looked back!! In fact, my daughter and I have acquired two more, so a total of three OTTB's in my barn.

One of my big pet peeves is "looking for a horse" adds that state "NO TB's"!!! WTF, a good horse is a good horse, why rule out an entire breed when shopping?

An example of our newly acquired OTTB's behaviour: DD was riding in outdoor for the first time this year, and Jet was only one month under saddle as a riding horse. The wind was blowing, dogs were running, cars were pulling up to park near ring. B/O leads two bellowing donkeys and two leopard apps to a new paddock that is adjacent to the riding ring. Once in the new paddock they all buck and fart and act up.
    There was noise and activity everywhere, and Jet did not bat an eye! He took notice, of course, but he was working and his focus remained on his rider. It truly was amazing to watch.

We had the vet out for herd health and all three OTTB's were perfect specimens of well behaved, well handled horses. I love the exposure they get at the track, it sure does help them deal with all sorts of things.
    I said to the vet that I would recommend an OTTB to anyone, then, I took that comment back, because I truly do feel that certain types of riders should not be anywhere near a TB. That is probably part of the issue as to why TB's have bad reputations...too many people have ruined the ones they had and subsequently blamed the horse and not their poor horsemanship.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell