The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

One of the best moments of my life was at HITS Culpeper. After picking up my champion from the children's jumpers, someone from a competitor's entourage came up to me and asked me what my horse was because they couldn't make out his brand. I told them, they'd have better luck reading his tattoo than trying to find his brand, and yes, a thoroughbred just kicked your ass.

and PS, he's still showing in rated divisions at 24 years old.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Wonder if ther is a bumper sticker that says "My TB kicked your WB's but in the ring". Lol

I never restrict my horse shopping to any particular breed, however, the last 4 horses I have bought have been OTTBs. I guess I must be a TB person
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    *toasts the OP*

Meanwhile - you know what our trainers used to tell us Back In The Day: "If you can't ride a TB, you can't really RIDE." That's my default reply to this type of sub-ignorant non-horseperson.
    Sadly, in my experience, it is frequently trainers that make negative comments about TBs. That makes me doubly sad, because if you work with a horse with a completely off-base preconceived negative notion of what it is and what its "limitations" are, you've failed before you've even begun.

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect everyone to love every TB, and I can even appreciate that some people just are not comfortable riding or owning TBs. Heck, I certainly don't want people who don't like them to own them, you know? But, gosh, I wish folks could stop acting like I'm overcoming some great adversity by owning a TB. I LIKE him. I WANT to own him. This is not some terrible plight that was forced upon me. And every time he bats an eyelash wrong, it is not because he is a TB.

And, Punkie, I know what you mean about trusting a TB with your life. Even when mine is being naughty, I never feel like it is in an attempt to get rid of me or hurt me. If I am feeling under the weather, he is always extra good. The other thing I love about him and that really makes me trust him is that I know how he is feeling long before I get on...he wears his heart on his sleeve, so I am rarely caught off guard.

TB fan here too. The sweetest, kindest horse in my barn is a 31 year old TB (an FFI horse named Angel), and I've had quite a few more as fosters and one of my own. Just like every breed, they are all very different. In my experience they ARE all smart and curious, and love their people. That's one of the things I love the most . That and that they are, to me, the perfect looking horse (and BTW nobody poked fun at the one I saw on TV today at Rolex...).

I also have a "crazy" Arab...the one I bought because when I was test riding her we stepped on a hornets nest and were stung all over and she just pranced in place as I freaked out like a maniac *blush*; the one who amazed me on the trail once when she politely and surprisingly said, "nope" when I asked her to go in black muck (and then my friends horse sunk chest deep when she asked hers to go ahead); the one a child could handle she has such impeccable manners.

And then I have the "boring, predictable" STB who challenges me every single time I ride her and has proven to me that the STB stereotype doesn't apply to her either .

My husbands niece has a grade horse that she swears must be, "...part Thoroughbred because she's such a hard keeper".....*rolls eyes*.....

And thanks to the person whose siggy introduced me to this quote...

“Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker and more intelligent. The best of any breed is the Thoroughbred horse, the best of that breed is better than any other breed.”
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    One of the best moments of my life was at HITS Culpeper. After picking up my champion from the children's jumpers, someone from a competitor's entourage came up to me and asked me what my horse was because they couldn't make out his brand. I told them, they'd have better luck reading his tattoo than trying to find his brand, and yes, a thoroughbred just kicked your ass.

and PS, he's still showing in rated divisions at 24 years old.
    Hah! That made me laugh...and smile

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Sadly, in my experience, it is frequently trainers that make negative comments about TBs.
    Well, of course. They want those trips to Europe...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

People who say they rescued their ottb drive me bonkers..sure, some (few) are legit rescued, most, like someone, else mentioned are just ready for a new phase in life. You are not some saint...ok im done.
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Smile Maybe we should remember.......

Some of these anti-TB people obviously are too young to remember when our USET riders consistently won in the highest international level competitions all over the world riding almost exclusively thoroughbreds.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Well, of course. They want those trips to Europe...
    You said it, not me!

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Some of these anti-TB people obviously are too young to remember when our USET riders consistently won in the highest international level competitions all over the world riding almost exclusively thoroughbreds.
    Yepyepyep!!! And of course, there's the "you can't teach what you don't know" factor as well. A lot of young trainers nowadays have never ridden a TB themselves, so they really don't know how to ride and train them.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thoroughbreds are the best! IMO there's not another breed out there with the heart that TBs have.

Great post! Thank you for not doing what most pro-TB ranters do. There's nothing more annoying than someone posting:

"I wish people would stop hating on my TB's. TB's aren't crazy and stupid. Every single TB is the bestest most bravest, mpost quietest horsie ever. Warmbloods are the dumb crazy ones. I hate warmbloods! Why do people stereotype TB's?"

There's my own vent Thank you for actually judging a horse for itself, not for it's breed. Afterall, good stereotypes are no different than bad ones. A TB has the same chance for being a piece of crap as any other breed

Another tb person here..what makes.me so upset is that the dissing of the tbs when most of the wbs are at least half tb! Wbs are not registered breeds they are registries with open stud books. Tbs still require live cover to control the gene pool.... they give you their heart for ever and will try the hardest.....jmho
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

As someone who just bought my very first non (full blooded anyway... she is at least 3/4) TB today, I love a good TB. I NEVER in a million years thought I would end up with anything other than another OTTB.

Recently a dressage trainer said about a friends SUPER nice, but very green and older "old warrior" type OTTB (he was 13 when he came off the track)"Gosh he's super nice... too bad you can't take the TB out of him" referring to the issue in the lesson of him tensing up with new exercises until he got the idea. No spooking or misbehaving, just a bit tense through the neck. Sigh. My theory is if that's the worst a green horse gives you, you're two strides ahead of the pack... but whatever.

Then a few weeks ago I was taking a lesson on the horse I just bought (I was leasing her then) and we were having some, well let's just call them interesting moments. It was her first time in the outdoor after being all cooped up this winter, and they hadn't been out in several days, so on the grand scale she was actually better than I was expecting/ afraid of, lol. Of course one of the peanut gallery, a nice lady but one who is timid on even the best packer in the barn and NEVER jumps, was making snarky comments about Lola over jumping out of the gymnastic and playing on the landing side. She said "she just has too much TB in her, that's why she's acting up" (of course it had nothing at all to do with the fact that she is 5 and green), so as I trot past I say "Naaah, just enough to make life fun"

Kid's birthday party yesterday. Oldest kid is 8, in the ring for rides we have 3 arabs and a TB. Now according to the uneducated idiots the arabs should be prancing, dancing, and spooking with their tails up and the TB should be racing around acting all kinds of crazy. There's balloons, napkins, cake, kids, parents, and all 4 horses are quietly standing next to their handlers heads low completely bored. Most fun we got was when I told one of the kids the TB used to be a race horse and the kid got in jockey position pretending to race at the age old pace of a walk. So yeah, spare me the cliche's and the assumptions and look at the horse in front of you. Judge him for the day not your life.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I'm a TB lover as well. I don't think there's anything prettier than an elegant TB (my favorite, although not a H/J, is Courageous Comet.....drool). I also have a soft spot for a nice Appendix or draft cross. I love a good WB as well--my boss has a gorgeous Oldenburg stallion and the foal she has by him is just breathtaking to watch when he gallops around the paddock. A good horse is a good horse is a good horse, regardless of breeding.

That being said, if I have the choice between a nice WB and a nice TB, I'd most likely take the TB. I like a horse that's interested in their job and will try their hardest for their rider, and I've seen that more in TBs than WBs. Plus it's really fun to watch my horse's old race videos. Kind of hard to do that with most WBs .

ETA what sold me on TBs was one of the first rides I had on my first OTTB. We were in the indoor when my boss's son started cleaning out the gutters with a leaf blower--he didn't know I was in there and was horrified to see me walk out 20 minutes later. My horse barely batted an eyelash the entire time and this was as a 5 y.o. about 2 months after his last race. Did I mention he was one of the sanest horses I'd ever met and I'm a relatively timid rider?

I also hate it when people assume that just because my current TB was free he must have been a rescue. Um, I would have happily lived in his stall at his breeder's where he spent 18 months babysitting weanlings and being besties with one of her retirees who jumped around Rolex twice in his youth. With how trusting and friendly my horse is with everyone he meets, I would be really surprised to find out he'd ever been mistreated. Just saying.
    Last edited by billiebob; May. 1, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

I love TBs because they are wicked clever!

I think the majority of TBs tend to be bold, forward, and love a good challenge. Of course these are all wonderful traits (part of why I love a good TB) but many people do not know how to deal with that type of personality. I think there are a LOT of TBs that exhibit neurotic behavior and yes I think it is more common to TBs than warmbloods. However, I think it is not because they are inheritantly "crazy" but moreso due to the people involved and the training program they are put into. That bold personality does not do well on insufficient turnout or poor riding. Then you throw in the fact that many TBs are off the track and not always retrained properly and it's no wonder people think they are crazy.

As far as movement and conformation goes... Most TBs are bred for the racing industry whose ideals are moving further and further away from what we like to see in h/j horses in terms of conformation. Because many/most TBs are not purpose bred for h/j sport like warmbloods, you are naturally not going to see as many in the top of the sport. Obviously there are exceptions to this as I have seen some outrageously talented TBs out there (and even gotten to ride a couple).