The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Well said, Rugbug.

And like it or not, we all do not like the same thing (thank goodness, what a boring place it would be). The whole boxer brief thing. Just become one guy says briefs suck because they are binding does not mean everyone who wears them is wrong or should be offended because he does not agree with them. People are allowed to not like what you like and there is no reason to be offended by it, even if you do not agree with their reasoning.

I love my OTTB! He is the most wonderful horse I've ever owned, he'd jump the moon if you asked him to! I know what you mean about the nasty little comments, though. When I first got him, I emailed my friend pictures of him and stuff, and her response was "Congrats! But I really don't like TBs at all, especially the off track ones... Just my opinion!" That bothered me a lot, because it wasn't just mean, it was rude. Another time I was showing a horse for someone else that wasn't a TB, and someone I know said "Wow! It must be so much fun for you to show an actual nice horse!" Despite all the rude comments though, I know that my TB is a great guy, and he is well worth it! I'm glad to hear so many people feel the same way as I do!

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    You are no better than the snotty woman just because you didn't make your comments to her face and chose to hold them until you were in a group of like-minded individuals.
    In attack mode a little?

I thought it was a cute story about how remarkably the four geldings (two of whom were quite young) behaved.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    In attack mode a little?
    Nope. but sometimes the truth hurts.

I thought it was a cute story about how remarkably the four geldings (two of whom were quite young) behaved.
    It would've been a cute story, if you had left out the ignorant comments. :shrug: (although I did think to myself why in the world you would put your horses into a dangerous situation as you described...even if they are "bombproof" They are still horses after all.)
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

So, exactly how is this attitude any better than the person who has stereotypes about Thoroughbreds? The hypocrisy on this thread hilarious. Many of you are guilty of making the same kind of judgements you are venting about.

I own a TB. He's pretty lazy BUT he's also sensitive to tenseness, can spook, gets quick if I get bracey. I CAN put a beginner on him, but only if they don't grip with their legs and pull on the reins. He has a TERRIBLE "work ethic" and while he complies with my requests, he would rather be in turn out or being groomed/fussed over than being ridden. He fits some stereotypes and others he shatters. But who really cares? I like him, he's got many qualities that I appreciate about him, but also a few I would change in a heartbeat (like the first 10 minutes of every ride where he is behind my leg and wanders around like a drunken sailer). He looks like the quintessential Sam Savitt TB, and no one is ever going to confuse his very refined self for a WB (although people often confused my WB for an Arab).

There are TBs that I find attractive, there are TBs that I find very unattractive. There are TBs I would love to own...there are TBS that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Same with any other breed/registry.

So what if someone judges your horse (TB, WB, QH, Arab, whatever) using stereotypes? Enjoy your horse(s) and stop being so sensitive and looking for insults.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    ^ This.

I am always amazed at the people who cry foul when someone disparages their TB, and then says something about "how spooky those WBs are," or something equally offensive.

There are nice horses and not so nice horses of every breed. Stereotyping horses of any breed just makes a person sound ignorant.
    I totally agree. I am a total fence sitter. I love different things about the TB and the WB. Since I can't decide, I have a TB/WB X. Depending on the day, he can represent the best or the worst of each breed

Generally speaking, if the horse has the conformation and the attitude to do the job I want it to do *for me*, I don't care what breed it is (TB, WB, QH, or something else). I usually have a general idea of what a horse is, but if I ask someone, it is more because I have an amateur interest in the correlation between breeding and performance, not because I am trying to pass judgement on you or your horse.

I do wish that people could try to find it in their hearts to not insult people and their choice of breed. Just because it is not the breed or type of horse you prefer, does not mean it is incapable of having good qualities, doing the job, or, winning awards. One person's dream of a sensitive, hot TB or WB, is another's nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by TaterTotTB View Post
    "Congrats! But I really don't like TBs at all, especially the off track ones... Just my opinion!" That bothered me a lot, because it wasn't just mean, it was rude.
    How is that mean and rude?

A friend told you congratulations. Then gave you a blanket opinion about their preference.
    They did not diss your horse or you.

Is it rude if you are going out to coffee with a friend and you say you are ordering one thing and they say they are ordering something different because they do not like the thing you picked?

Quote Originally Posted by salymandar View Post
    I do wish that people could try to find it in their hearts to not insult people and their choice of breed.
    It is hard though because clearly some people want to be offended if you do not tell them their horse or their breed or their whatever is not your first choice too.

I just love reading these threads. Have to say though that the TB's I've owned have been totally sane. If you want to see neurotic you should have seen my Danish warmblood spooking wildly, crow hopping and screeching around the ring at the sight of a bicycle. One of the girls riding him said that he was the only horse she had ever ridden that when he spooked you could see all four legs at once.

(although I did think to myself why in the world you would put your horses into a dangerous situation as you described...even if they are "bombproof" They are still horses after all.)
    Standing around for four hours in an parking lot with no shelter at -20, not including the windchill, impairs your thought processes and judgment sometimes.

To be fair, Lucassb's comment regarding warmbloods and spookiness might have been directed at me. I'm a little bit guilty of attributing more spookiness to warmbloods than I do to TBs. But I actually don't mind a spooky horse, honestly, so to me it really isn't an insult. I can see how some people might interpret it as one, though. FWIW, my TB (the original topic of this thread over a year ago) has been spooking so much lately with all the wind and cold we are having that it is like he is breakdancing during our rides or something, lol.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    To be fair, Lucassb's comment regarding warmbloods and spookiness might have been directed at me. I'm a little bit guilty of attributing more spookiness to warmbloods than I do to TBs. But I actually don't mind a spooky horse, honestly, so to me it really isn't an insult. I can see how some people might interpret it as one, though. FWIW, my TB (the original topic of this thread over a year ago) has been spooking so much lately with all the wind and cold we are having that it is like he is breakdancing during our rides or something, lol.
    Haha, nope, was actually referring to the poster who suggested that someone else's "fancy warmbloods" wouldn't have handled being led by goats/sheep etc as well as their TBs did (one page back.)

But I confess that that "reverse discrimination" is a bit of a pet peeve of mine and I consider it just as ridiculous as the OTTB bias that a lot of people rail against. I've just never understood why people disparage WBs *or* TBs. At least pick a TYPE to dislike instead of spouting off about a breed bias that makes you (not you, OP) sound ignorant!

I mean, I think it's totally legit to say, "I really hate hot horses. Give me a nice quiet one that I have to kick!" just as it is to say, "I hate a kick ride. Give me a horse with an engine." There are obviously both kinds in any breed.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Haha, nope, was actually referring to the poster who suggested that someone else's "fancy warmbloods" wouldn't have handled being led by goats/sheep etc as well as their TBs did (one page back.)

But I confess that that "reverse discrimination" is a bit of a pet peeve of mine and I consider it just as ridiculous as the OTTB bias that a lot of people rail against. I've just never understood why people disparage WBs *or* TBs. At least pick a TYPE to dislike instead of spouting off about a breed bias that makes you (not you, OP) sound ignorant!

I mean, I think it's totally legit to say, "I really hate hot horses. Give me a nice quiet one that I have to kick!" just as it is to say, "I hate a kick ride. Give me a horse with an engine." There are obviously both kinds in any breed.
    I really don't have anything against warmbloods. I tend to like the ones with a lot of TB blood although the ones I've ridden have been more the kick-ride type, which are great for a nice quiet trail ride. I would say my prejudice is more against snobby warmblood owners--note I said here snobby warmblood owners rather than warmblood owners, have nothing against those.

Standing around for four hours in an parking lot with no shelter at -20, not including the windchill, impairs your thought processes and judgment sometimes.
    That's fair.

To the original topic.... I just sold my awesome, saintly TB... he went to a beginner rider who adores him completely and he is being the best, most patient teacher she could ask for.

Before that, I occasionally loaned him to the barn owner for lessons - he was so good at that, that he became a barn favorite and everyone wanted to ride him. I don't think there's anyone left at the barn who hasn't ridden him.

He's far from my first TB and when I hear people disparage them I just realize that not everyone is enlightened or knows how to appreciate the finer things! TBs are not great when they look or act "like a warmblood" - they're just great, period. I think people also forget that many warmbloods have a discernible percentage of TB blood... or even quite a lot! So picking on TBs and saying all WBs are better is just silly and, in my opinion, at least a little uneducated.

I have to admit, my new horse is a WB. I feel like a terrible traitor to the cause! (While I was shopping I was completely open to buying another TB, but my new mare came along and was clearly the horse for me! I did not set out to be a traitor... it just happened!)

We have some lovely TBs and WBs at my barn and I like them both immensely. However I have a Standardbred and the most common remarks are:

1. He really canters? Yes, quite nicely.
    2. You really paid for him...you could have adopted one for free? Yes, he was a private sale and worth every penny.
    3. He doesn't look like a Standardbred they normally have big ugly heads...Ugh, no polite answer.
    4. Are you sure he's a STB? He looks like a WB. Yes, I'm sure I have his papers.

They are definitely the under dog but just like any breed they can do well as long as they are built for it and have the right training to do the job. Sunny has done well at open schooling shows and last month got a 76 on his first intro level dressage test.

I have a question for those saying that most warmbloods have a lot of thoroughbred in them. How true is that? I mean, I would think imported warmbloods (think Germany, etc.) don't have much (or any) thoroughbred in them. I know my dad's Oldenberg doesn't have thoroughbred in him. And then, a lot of US breeders programs seem to be WB only, often coming from imported lines. I know eventers are moving to WB/TB crosses to get the fitness and speed of a TB for crosscountry, but gaining the freedom and elasticity of WB's for dressage. But how much thoroughbred is there, really, in the dressage, jumper, and hunter bred WB's? I'm especially curious about the %TB in the most recent generations, not 100 years back or whatever.

Please note, I really am curious to know the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

You Go Girl

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    The next person to make a nasty and/or ignorant comment to me about Thoroughbreds is going to get one HECK of an earful. I am sick and tired of hearing it, and I'm done ignoring it.

A couple of things:

1. My Thoroughbred is NOT neurotic, and, in my experience, neither are Thoroughbreds generally. In any event, there is absolutely no reason to call him a "typical neurotic Thoroughbred" on the fairly rare occasion that he is fresh or even just slightly alert. I feel particularly strongly about this, especially since he has never even been fresh enough that I could not ride through it without trouble and without resorting to lungeing.

If you want to talk about stereotypes, let's talk about the more than a few warmbloods I know that regularly dump their riders by spooking massively at nothing after getting gradually more and more behind the leg. If you'd like to go tit for tat on crappy Throroughbreds you've known vs. crappy warmbloods I've known, I'm up to the challenge. But you know what? The crappy warmbloods I've known were not crappy because they were warmbloods, just like the crappy Thoroughbreds you've known were not crappy because they were Thoroughbreds.

2. Acting all shocked and gasping aloud when I tell you that my horse is a Thoroughbred and then gushing that he is so nice you thought he was a warmblood actually isn't really a compliment to me. Stop acting like I just told you he is a burro. Likewise, please stop telling me that he is really nice, "especially for a Thoroughbred." He is awesome partly BECAUSE he is a Thoroughbred, not in spite of it.

3. Telling me that I don't know what I'm missing by not owning a warmblood is pretty ignorant. I've been riding for well over 20 years. I've ridden lots of horses. A lot have been warmbloods. I like them just fine. I like some of them a whole lot, actually. I still like my horse better. Believe it or not, there can actually be nice Thoroughbreds AND nice warmbloods. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Same goes for crappy Thoroughbreds and crappy warmbloods - both really DO exist.

4. Nope, I did not "rescue" him. I BOUGHT him, and it just so happens that his owner before me raced him. If I had not purchased him, someone else would have. He's super willing, smart, cute, has a natural lead change, and a cute jump. In the summer, he is kick pony quiet. He sure didn't need me to "rescue" him, and I'm not going to pretend that he did.

5. Next time, I am not even going to try to hold back my laughter when you brag to me about your "warmblood" (i.e., we're not sure exactly what it is, but it's not a TB and that's all that matters). And don't try to convince me to buy one. No thanks. Enough said.

Ugh. I am completely fed up with the nasty remarks about Thoroughbreds. For some people, it seems like these statements are as natural as breathing. And you know - I have nothing against warmbloods at all. Nothing. Which is why, when a warmblood acts like a dingbat jerkface, I don't blame it on the horse's breeding. Horses are horses. Sometimes they act like jerks or idiots. But by golly, any time my horse acts up in the slightest, everyone is so quick to point out that he is a Thoroughbred. YES. He is a six-year-old Thoroughbred, and he is one of the sanest, smartest animals I have ever sat on.

Whew. Sorry about that. This stuff normally does not bug me much, but it's just been happening so frequently lately that I'm really at the end of my rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    I have a question for those saying that most warmbloods have a lot of thoroughbred in them. How true is that? I mean, I would think imported warmbloods (think Germany, etc.) don't have much (or any) thoroughbred in them. I know my dad's Oldenberg doesn't have thoroughbred in him. And then, a lot of US breeders programs seem to be WB only, often coming from imported lines. I know eventers are moving to WB/TB crosses to get the fitness and speed of a TB for crosscountry, but gaining the freedom and elasticity of WB's for dressage. But how much thoroughbred is there, really, in the dressage, jumper, and hunter bred WB's? I'm especially curious about the %TB in the most recent generations, not 100 years back or whatever.

Please note, I really am curious to know the answer

Germany has TBs too. Some really nice ones.

Most WBs became "warm" by adding more blooded breeds to the local draft/work horses. So crossing mostly Arab or TB sires on local heavier mares.

WBs are NOT a breed. They are mutts--but mutts developed with very planned breeding over generations to get a particular "type" of horse. My branded Hanovarian broodmare is imported from Germany....she has almost 50% TB blood. Her dam's sire was a TB (Lemon). Her sire's dam was by a TB...as well as a few more TBs scattered in for good measure...and one Arab not too far back. But she is branded Hanovarian...and very much a WB.

The WB registries are picky about what TB blood or Arab blood is included in their registry. If you look at their pedigrees...anything marked with xx is a TB.

My TB mare is also approved with a couple WB registries...so her foals by approved sires are registered. So even though one is more than 50% TB blood....she is a branded Oldenberg.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    My branded Hanovarian broodmare is imported from Germany....she has almost 50% TB blood. Her dam's sire was a TB (Lemon). Her sire's dam was by a TB...as well as a few more TBs scattered in for good measure...and one Arab not too far back. But she is branded Hanovarian...and very much a WB.
    Yes...and my former OLD/NA branded WB that everyone thought was an Arab? First TB is three generations (great grand sire) and is the only TB noted...not much TB blood. He was bred in the US. When people say there is a lot of TB blood in the WB, I say...well, there could be. It's not necessarily the case, but there could be.

No doubt the TB was used to refine/lighten the work horses (draft or carriage, etc), but blanket statements that WBs have so much TB in them are just generalizations that might not hold up to scrutiny.

If it weren't for TBs (and Arabians) warmbloods would just be another ugly beast missing its plow.

Warmblood is not a breed - they are registries. Take a look at the pedigree and figure out how much "blood" is there. More than you would think in some of them.

Yes...and my former OLD/NA branded WB that everyone thought was an Arab? First TB is three generations (great grand sire) and is the only TB noted...not much TB blood. He was bred in the US. When people say there is a lot of TB blood in the WB, I say...well, there could be. It's not necessarily the case, but there could be.

No doubt the TB was used to refine/lighten the work horses (draft or carriage, etc), but blanket statements that WBs have so much TB in them are just generalizations that might not hold up to scrutiny.
    The TB and Arab and other "blood" is what made the WB great sport horses....it wasn't just any TB or any Arab blood added to their stock. There is NO question about it. It is in their pedigrees even if not up close. A WB is NOT a breed. It is not a closed book. They are a phenotype. And a registry of horses that produce that phenotype.

I breed WBs...and have studied their bloodlines and continue to learn each day. It is the family lines that pass on certain traits and they are very mixed in blood. Sometimes the more "blood" traits are predominate....and for my breeding program, that is what I'm looking for.

I prefer a more TB type of horse but am looking for the best horse I can. I know what I want to ride..and I know what excels in my sport and I look for the family lines that will give me those traits regardless of the breed (or registry). I'm not interested in just any WB....they need to have enough blood traits up close and preferably in a lot in their pedigree. Just as I'm not interested in just any TB....
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **