The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EXTRA Large Saddle Pads?

I'm looking for some extra large saddle pads to fit an 18" saddle. It has longer flaps, as well, and most pads either are not deep enough (spine to girth strap area) for my husband's saddle. He hates when the saddle flaps get stuck in the girth strap, if that makes sense. Right now he uses a dressage pad, which, well, I'm not loving the looks of. . I'm thinking early for Christmas ideas.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Ecogold makes an extra large pad

I use the Extra-Long Quilted saddle pads from Dover which fits my 18” saddle perfectly.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...ng/p/X1-19724/
    - D.O.

I have an 18.5" saddle (yeah, ridiculously long femur for my height) and love the Medallion saddle pads by Toklat. Fits my saddle perfectly!
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Awesome. I will check those out. Thank you.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I have an 18" forward flap saddle, but most of my pads fit it fine. I use baby pads, though. Are you looking for baby pads or actual "saddle pads."

If you're interested in baby pads I can help!

I have 18.5" toward flap saddle. Dover's poly pad copy fits, my PRI pad almost fits (flap is just a bit too forward), and I often use a toklate fleece barrel racing pad- offers great padding while not bulky under the leg.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Default Ogilvy saddle pads!

I've found that Ogilvy makes a great AP pad in large that fits my forward flap 19" CWD very well. It actually has room all around it (no saddle overhang!) & the girth straps are in a good place, and they are not too thick or too skimpy. Mine have all washed well, also. Expensive, but worth it. You can find them here (Canadian company): http://www.ogilvyequestrian.com/shop....php?id=3&=SID. I bought mine at Rolex, from the company's booth, so I haven't ordered from the website directly.

I haven't tried Dover's extra long pads yet, but they may be a cheaper option. If you're looking for shaped pads, Wilkers does have their fleece pads in 18" and 19" options, but they are harder to find. I think Equus Now had the 18 & 19" options on their site.

Roma pads also run kind of big.

For everyday use I go with the extra long all purpose, square quilted pad like outfxd posted for my 18 inch saddle.

Show pad bought a medallion/toklat this summer and fits perfectly. Even with the thin line pad on it as well.