The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default seroma question

Anyone here ever deal with a grapefruit sized seroma? Mare whacked herself somehow,(left hip), and now has this going on...does not seem painful to her, but looks awful....how long can it take to go away?

Vet says it isn't dangerous(usually) and draining it can lead to disfigurement.

Is there anything I can try to help it resolve?

I had a horse flip with me over a jump and land on her chest and nose before flipping all the way over. The end result (after successfully showing for the next 3 days, seemingly unscathed) was a grapefruit sized seroma on the horse's chest that showed up after a couple of days off.

We did drain it and she got the "pink bowtie" (surgical tubing, to keep it draining, sprayed with scarlett oil to make it pink....what can I say, my vet has a sense of humor!). It took several months for it to fully go away and reabsorb, but there's absolutely no trace of it now.

Of course a seroma on the chest (which is fairly meaty, and is a place where fluid can accumulate and "hang out") is different than the hip, so I can't offer any advice beyond the fact that my horse wasn't particularly bothered by her seroma and it had no lasting effects. I tried a few different things (heat packs, poultices, etc.), but the only thing that seemed to really impact it was time.

Good luck to your girl!

With it being on the hip I would leave it. It won't drain well from there. And by sticking something in it you risk introducing an infection since it won't drain well.

Leave it be. It will resolve over time.
    If it gets painful or oozy, have it checked by your vet.

We have a yearling that is recovering from a volleyball sized one between the front legs. It had to be drained because he couldn't walk properly with it. It was pretty amazing. I would not worry about draining it unless something changes.

My mare had a basketball sized one 2 months ago. She was sound and happy, walking and trotting around with this HUGE jiggly lump hanging on like a 3rd butt cheek. I put furazone on it as a sweat for two weeks and it decreased a lot in size...to between a third and a half as big. The vet also gave her a shot of something to help.

Unfortunately in my case it was clear that the body couldn't absorb so much liquid, and it stopped decreasing. I had dreams of avoiding puncturing it but unfortunately it was clear I had to. My vet said that he couldn't puncture it until it had been there for 2 weeks because it might still be growing, so if it's just happened you have a while to decide. The concern is if you puncture it and then have to do it again because it re-fills.

The puncture holes had to be kept clean while it drained but now it is healing beautifully and I'm not even sure the holes will be visible. It's been 6 weeks since popping and 8 weeks since the injury, though. Hopefully yours goes away much faster--good luck!

My first horse had one but it was down on the back of his butt, above his thigh. Vet put three drain holes in and flushed it, then I had to flush it every day with Lactated Ringers. Surprisingly it healed completely, although it was wrinkled for a few months. The edema in his sheath was the only lasting mark, it left it all wrinkly. I agree with the others though, if it's actually up on the hip it probably won't drain well.
    Quarry Rat

oh! *raises hand!* pick me!
    my horse came in with a grapefruit sized one that we lanced, but it refilled. Ended up with a drain that continued to let fluid out for 3 days. Started to smell funky so we sent her to the clinic. Ended up on IV baytril for 10 days. Because of her clever drain location and the scarring from it she has what was deemed (very tactfully) a "gait deficiency". And just kinda goes short on the one leg. Not bothered by it, but you can see she goes short.
    Not really helpful at all, but something to consider.

thanks for the input---from what I can gather, letting it alone is the best course of action unless it interferes with movement/comfort or stops reabsorbing. Vet will be out next week for spring shots and we will see where we are at.

Just experienced this in April on a shoulder. Huge seroma, ended up draining down the leg which was scary looking... but no heat or swelling & perfectly sound. Everything ended up re-absorbing, but it took a good month & I can still see a bit of scar tissue at the lower end of her shoulder muscle. Perfectly sound through the entire thing so no drainage.