The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hip Flask Recipes please

Curious as to what you guys fill your flasks with over there? We're into our first month of hunting and already the old favourites are getting a bit boring. Best so far is home-made feijoa vodka, and the other really common ones over here are port (of course!), port and whiskey - with or without the addition of Green Ginger Wine. New ideas most welcome
    "A babbler amongst the followers of a pack of hounds is just as great an evil as a babbler in the pack" The Complete Foxhunter 1908

Equal parts of blackberry brandy & vodka (or bourbon if you prefer); or 2 parts whisky to 1 part cherry brandy. Heck, we've been known to use any drink recipe we like. (finished our season with flasks of amaretto sour!)

Somewhere I have a recipe for something called Doc's Hunt Medicine - it's amazing, I'll try to find it for you!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I have horrid memories of swigging merrily from someone's flask some years ago, only to find it was straight cherry brandy. Absolutely hate it! Now I always have a sniff of foreign flasks before committing myself to a drink! Would love to get your Doc's Hunt Medicine recipe!!
    "A babbler amongst the followers of a pack of hounds is just as great an evil as a babbler in the pack" The Complete Foxhunter 1908

Found it! It was in a foxhunter's cookbook compiled by the Beauford Hunt years ago. Enjoy!

1 1/2 cups vodka
    1 cup Kahlua
    1/2 cup dark creme de cacoa
    1/4 cup Amaretto
    1/8 cup Tia Maria
    1/8 cup Cointreau
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Wow! That's some serious medicine! Will find a couple of friends to contribute ingredients, and we'll give it a go. Thanks (I think!!!)

We had this dicussion a few years ago and I copied all the recipes to a word doc. I can email to anyone that provides their email if I can find it.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Oh, and my favorite is a nice Irish Liquor such as Irish Mist or Celtic Cross. Celtic Cross is usually cheaper and they taste much the same.

Another option is a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Butterscotch Schnapps and Apple Pucker Schnapps. Tastes like a tart caramel apple. I like this one for Basseting for some reason.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

The schnapps mixture sounds great. Would love your email if possible please My email addy is horsenhound@xtra.co.nz.

Firstly hi folks, just joined after lurking for ages. I,ve a wee collection of flasks and love a dram,and was wondering what recipe you may have tried.The latest i tried was whisky and ginger wine, nice nip.Whisky and brambles,whisky green ginger, rusty nails, etc.Brandy and port is presently my favourite . cheers FIL
    All diseases run into one, old age...!

An excellent flask filler to warm the cockles of your heart (and oh-so-trendy!)

2 parts Cognac (or whiskey, bourbon, or rye)
    1 part St Germaine (elder flower liqour that is lovely. Not overly floral or sweet, just yummy)
    a few drops of bitters

I love my morning "coffee". Two parts whipped cream flavored vodka to one part kahlua.

My husband won a door prize at a fundraiser. It was a bottle of liqueur called St Germain. I can only drink alcohol if it is pretty well disguised so I was surprised when I could actually sip this stuff straight. It's only 20% alcohol so not as potent as whiskey or brandy and such but gets the job done without pain!

I remember my parents serving a cocktail that involved creme de cacao, creme de menthe and probably some version of whiskey or bourbon. I'll have to experiment and see if I can come up with something.
    I also have a bottle of Zinfandel port at home that I've never used...perhaps that is flask material?

Default Godfather

Equal parts (or slightly more whiskey)

Scotch Wiskey
    Amaretto

YUM!!!

Lots of old threads for recipes - do a search and you'll find some oldies and lots of goodies!

Talking hmmmm....lets see.....!!

Peach Schnappes big around here.!! There's a peach flavored liquour made in England thats terrific but I can't remember the name of it......me bad....

And there's Baileys Irish Creme of course.

One I had in England was cherry brandy and scotch whiskey and in Ireland port and brandy and sloe gin was good.

I like 1/2 Sherry 1/2 port (hound's blood) or Georgia made Muscadine wine.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

One of the members of our hunt puts one called "The Whip" in his flask. Any one know the recipe?

Fireball! It's just cinnamon whisky but it is GOOD!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer