The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    I am eventer so maybe I am a bit "off" but I am now showing in my schooling helmet with a velvet cover on it. It is a Tippary and is so comfortable, and fits well. No bowling ball. I would love to have a nice, expensive helmet but not right now. Too many other things to spend $ on. I borrowed a friends CO GR8 and it fit beautifilly and hardly knew it was on but right now for almost $300 I can live in my tipperary and velvet cover.
    Pretty much the same here. I love the Tipperary helmets and that's what I wear, and when I was showing (2009) I used a black velvet helmet cover, if I could find it that is! No one ever said boo to me about riding in a navy Tipperary. Given my mare's occasional antics, I'm sure a few people were happy I was wearing a good helmet!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Cause while I think she looks fantastic trotting down the line sporting multi colored ponies and hearts the judges find the helmet a bit distracting after looking at all those black boring helmets. But she doesn't show recognized and I just put a cover on her helmet instead of buying a new one. She does always get a smile when she wields her sparkly wand crop though.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I school in my UVEX (best lightweight, ventilated helmet for a hot climate) and show in my (velvet) Charles Owen.
    Agreed with enjoytheride: if you can, you should have a designated schooling helmet and a separate one for showing
    Classical Horsemanship

Quote Originally Posted by UST View Post
    if you can, you should have a designated schooling helmet and a separate one for showing
    As long as the show helmet is replaced periodically, because it will degrade with age. Some say every 3 years, others say 5. But at any rate, I don't think one should spend so much on a "show" helmet that one isn't willing to replace as needed.

Agreed stryder.....
    But I have to say I bought my UVEX in Europe (so a lot cheaper than here in the US, that is, if you even find one here) and I got an amazing deal on my Charles Owen....
    bargain hunter
    Classical Horsemanship

I school and show in my IRH Air 10 because its so comfortable I just can't stand wearing a different helmet. Its not bad looking either.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/