The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Show Helmet versus Schooling Helmet

Why isn't a schooling helmet ok for a show?

I wore my schooling helmet in two PSG classes at a show, nothing was said against it.

It was a shiny black Troxel.

My trainer talks to me a lot about how presenting yourself in a way that you are proud of affects your riding. If you feel like a million bucks riding down centerline, it's going to give you just a little emotional boost. We even have on-the-farm mock shows a couple times a year where we all braid and wear our best stuff, then get a critique/mini-lesson after our tests, and I learn SO much from those days. I have a velvet Charles Owen helmet that I picked up a few years ago on deep discount... it's not quite as fashionable as the GPAs, etc, but it is gorgeous and it always makes me feel good to pull that fancy helmet out of its box on a show day

I wear the same helmet too.

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    My trainer talks to me a lot about how presenting yourself in a way that you are proud of affects your riding.
    Are you saying that a schooling helmet (cheap Troxel) looks any worse than those bigger so-called show helmets? I disagree. The less bulky the helmet, the better it looks imo. I intend to show in a cheapie Troxel. Not because I can't afford an expensive hat, but because the cheapies are lighter weight and less martian looking.

I have an older grubby, sweaty Troxel that I school in, but last year I bought a nice smart velvet for shows, I don't school in my white jods or black jacket, or my best boots, so it's all part of that 'show feeling' for me.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Because shiny metallic lilac is not considered a 'conservative' colour.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    It depends on the schooling helmet. It's true that a shiny purple helmet is not ok for a show, but I've seen plenty of people show in black Troxels and helmets of that type. They look just fine. My IRH, which is my schooling helmet, is also my show helmet. Both it and I clean up very niceely, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I think it is better to have a show helmet and a school helmet than just one because you can keep your show helmet cleaner, and if you have a bright colored (not navy or black) school helmet, it is not suitable for showing.

I keep a helemt in my trailer and one in the barn. When I ship out for lessons or to a show I use the one in the trailer. When at home I use the one in the barn.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

I'm seriously considering showing in my Tipperary. It's hideous, though it is a conservative color, and it fits me so much better than any other helmet I've owned.

Since I can only afford going to schooling shows right now anyhow, I think that would be okay.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I show in my Tipperary. I know they are supposedly frowned upon for dressage, but I saw tons of them at the show last week. They are affordable and I think they have a good shape ( I don't feel like I'm wearing a motorcycle helmet!), whats not to like?

I show at rated shows in my black, plastic Troxel helmet. It fits my head, is comfy, and most of all COOL! It looked just fine in my show pics. I think as long as the helmet is black (or perhaps dark navy if you have a navy coat) then it is fine for showing. Just be neat and clean!!!

Sorry, but I love pulling my LAS out for a show! I spent enough money on it and I want to show it off!

Uno - We have tons of folks here (New England) that show in Tipperarys at the schooling shows. I've never heard of anyone frowning on them.

I would actually probably be one of the folks wearing them, but I was the odd person who actually fit into the "middle" version of the helmet that they've since discontinued.

When I first started showing dressage, I wore my Troxel with a velvet cover. It wasn't the best look, but I was comfortable and safe.

I now have a Charles Owen AYR8 that I LOVE. It's so comfortable and ventilated, I wear it for schooling and showing. Plus, with as much money as I spent on it, I'm darn well going to wear it as many times as possible

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    My trainer talks to me a lot about how presenting yourself in a way that you are proud of affects your riding. If you feel like a million bucks riding down centerline, it's going to give you just a little emotional boost.
    I agree 100% and it's why I wear my schooling helmet to show. I have the Ovation Carbon Fiber helmet. It's lightweight, cool, low profile, and I think it says "I'm not a sheep".
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I am eventer so maybe I am a bit "off" but I am now showing in my schooling helmet with a velvet cover on it. It is a Tippary and is so comfortable, and fits well. No bowling ball. I would love to have a nice, expensive helmet but not right now. Too many other things to spend $ on. I borrowed a friends CO GR8 and it fit beautifilly and hardly knew it was on but right now for almost $300 I can live in my tipperary and velvet cover.

I have a schooling helmet and a show helmet. My show helmet isn't covered in dust from the barn and it is black so it is more conservative in color where my schooling helmet is green. It isn't velvet though.

I show in my Tipperary (carbon gray model) and have never second guessed it. It's lightweight, comfortable and keeps me cool during the summer shows. I simply take it home the night before a show and wipe off any dust from the barn - looks good as new. That being said, I show only local small schooling series - but I am always neatly turned out. Clean breeches, belt, polo, gloves, hair up in my helmet - tall boots shined. I agree that turnout can impact your personal riding in a positive (or negative) way regarding how you see yourself - if you feel confident, etc. But I don't necessarily think that means full dress or an uber expensive helmet, either - just being neat, clean and turned out to the best of your ability. The horse is the real star of the show here. I'm more amazed with how I see people presenting their horses than I am with what they're wearing. Even at the local schooling shows we attend, I take pride in how I turn my horse out.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

I show in my Tipperary even at rated shows. I don't think there is anything wrong with my turnout. Though I did hate this jacket, so this year I upgraded to a Pikeur Diana!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...a/DSCN1232.jpg