The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Roofing panels for barn?

Has anyone used the Ondura roofing panels for their barn/ag buildings?
    http://www.ondura.com/

The barn is an existing out building converted to a barn....it has a tin roof---but one portion of it is older, and has leak issues around some nail holes, etc...As well as: we need to add an overhang off the back where I had builder put in large barred windows---since its a slant roof with no overhang/gutters now we have water issues there.

Anyway. Have gotten estimates for: 1st adding 3 ft. overhang to backside of building...then power washing the roof, then caulking all nail / holes, then painting with the waterproofing paint product. In pricing all that out with labor and time involved, I started thinking of just 're roofing' in comparison. This product (ondura panels) claim its very easy to simply overroof without any teardown. I'm wondering if the much less (supposedly goes up VERY fast?) time involved would make this a better option, but wanted to know of anyone here? that is familiar with it, and their opinions!

ONe thing I KNOW would be a benefit, is the sound buffering this will provide. My goofball freaks out with the rain hitting the tin....

TIA!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

interesting product... it does say " Do not use 16” on center spacing" so if this is an existing structure there may be a problem with layout that would result in additional product needed than expected

hmmm...not 'at' property, so will have to double check---but all their hype made it sound as if its easy peasy to over roof an existing roof.....
    I even looked over the 'roofing over metal' portion, and seemed that just purlins/nail strips at regular intervals? was what would be needed.....
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

ayrabs... it is what I plan I using in the hopefully near future. We used something similar on the small run-in shed we recently built and it was extremely easy to install.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Default Yes

My 24x72 shedrow barn's roof is white ondura. My chicken coop is also this product. It was extremely easy to install and it is quiet when it's raining. It is no longer hurricane rated here in FL but my roof weathered the 2004 hurricane season (3 cat 2 & 3 storms) well. There is a hurricane nailing pattern which we used.

The cons to this is that you can't really walk on it unless you are lighter weight. That leaves the roof cleaning to me as opposed to my DH. The second con are the ondura nails as they can be a PITA to remove if they bend (which some will). Getting the bent nail out of the roof without damaging the ondura sheet is a little tricky.

I put a metal roof on my recently built hay/tractor barn. Although I've not had problems with my Ondura roof, I'd like to retrofit the barn with metal as well. That's just price prohibitive at the moment.

The chicken coop is just fine with it and we are building a pump house and will use it there as well.

Since you are using it as an overlay to an existing roof, I think it would probably be just fine.

You can cut it to size with a skill saw or sawzall. Easy to work with!
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

We used it on a new barn (not overlay). As the other poster said, it's easy and light to install. You do have to watch where you step though. We love it. Especially the skylight panels you can get also. And I can't imagine getting the special nails out. I recommend it.

Let me add that my DH is in his 60's and did all the construction himself. That's how light it is to work with. (although, he is in GREAT shape)!

Default Not so good....

We had this on a barn. The roof was about 10 years old. It peeled off in a storm. Metal will last a lot longer IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by slantedhorse View Post
    We had this on a barn. The roof was about 10 years old. It peeled off in a storm. Metal will last a lot longer IMHO.
    I just checked our building codes and this style roofing is not allowed

I asked about Ondura specifically about 7 years ago and the overwhelming majority said "don't even go there". It didn't last, color faded, just looked pretty bad, at least that's what the majority said.

But for all I know, it's an improved product 7 years later LOL

ugh. kinda scareing me! I guess? the plus is: its only an overroof? as in: tin/rafters/purlins/etc, would still be there underneath. I'll certainly get the contractors input! However, anyone else out there with experience with it, keep the input coming! (And thanks everyone for your insights)
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I just checked our building codes and this style roofing is not allowed
    It's not here in Florida anymore either. There is a hurricane nailing pattern that you use normal roofing nails with in conjunction wtih the Ondura nails.

OP- as I said, I'd like to reroof my existing barn with metal so it's completely up to code.

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    It's not here in Florida anymore either. There is a hurricane nailing pattern that you use normal roofing nails with in conjunction wtih the Ondura nails.

OP- as I said, I'd like to reroof my existing barn with metal so it's completely up to code.
    When did this happen? I'm in Fl too and my barn is only a year old.

Default I like it...

I used it on my barn and I like it. Cost is comparable (in my area) to metal, but much easier to work with. My barn had nasty rotted cedar shingles which I pulled off, leaving just the purlins. I cut out a couple spaces for skylights, which had to be special-ordered but were an Ondura product.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    When did this happen? I'm in Fl too and my barn is only a year old.
    I would bet that it was after Katrina if I had to guess. I'm not sure but I do know that it's no longer code. My barn was built in 2002.

I have had it on my barn for 10 years - last barn too - I have green, the color has held up extremely well, there are a few places with small holes that should be patched now -it is quiet in the rain - I am in SC, not sure what the life span is supposed to be - all in all for the cost I am happy with it - when it is time to replace I will probably be un happy!
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers
    balancedridetrailers
    sterlinghorsetrailers ( coming soon )

well, thanks all.
    your input seems very similar to the 'comments' I can find on it, online....as in: some love, some hate.

For us, I suppose I am simply going to weigh the costs of the powerwash, then: caulk/seam/and then waterproof product costs vs. the ondura costs.

Hail storms would damage the ondura.....but I think it would go up quicker, be more structurally sound (with the added purlins/nail strips).....so I'll have to decide if I weigh the chance of damage, or the almost assuredness of re waterproofing later.

I'm glad got you folks to chime in, and thanks so much!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

roofingpreston Guest

Talking

Most of the expert roofers in mu local area doesn't recommend this brand because of its quality. The color fades away and it didn't last that long.

Ralphmoore Guest

The top panels are those with ultra-strong glass fibers in an organic resin. These corrugated roof panels are translucent, allowing light into the building, filters, but keep the elements and away from direct sunlight.

Roof cleaning

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

The only roof I know of it around here belonged to close family friends that they had on a huge equipment shed. I don't remember how long it lasted, but it didn't seem like it was THAT long. A hail storm put holes all in it, and they ended up putting tin on it.

Fabral Grandrib metal is what I use for panel roofs. I did find some problems around the surrounding area from Irine with some Grandrib roofs. One whole roof was blown off a local store, and another building had some panels blown off. I was asked to go look at these, and found that screws had been overtorqued, which reversed some of the little bell shaped washers-could tell that they were installed like that because the neoprene washers had taken a permanent set shape, and both were put up over 1x4 spruce. No issues on roofs with yellow pine 2x4 or oak purlins with properly installed screws.