The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

"He's just saying hi!" pisses me off more than flexi leads ever could. UGH!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post

Lately I've fallen in love with these:
    http://www.myrope.com/dog_training_supplies/
    :
    Wow! thanks for sharing. It has been years since I have had a puppy and our current dog (dropped off by my college age daughter) hardly ever leaves the house. I needed the reminder and young kids and dogs are very similar. current dog has socialization issues with young children and it make it hard when someone with a young child comes to visit. Dogs behavior makes sense now.

I hate flexi leads. However...having said that, I did have one situation where it was a godsend. I train gun dogs for a living. Client is a paraplegic, using a wheelchair and wanting to work with his Lab puppy for retrieving. A regular check cord was a wreck waiting to happen because it would tangle around the chair faster than he could reel it in. A flexi gave him a better way to work with it. I still hate flexi leads and don't use or recommend them.

Another hate. Why would anyone want to carry around that clunking large handle? Or have they changed? Several years ago we watched BIL's dog and that was what they had. After 3 minutes I was cussing at it. And I remember it to this day.

Two of my three dogs wear pinch collars on walks. The other wears a Halti. Tried the Halti on the other two, and the one hated it and the other one still does better with the pinch. Sorry, I don't love them but I don't abuse my dogs with them, and they offer me a little extra at times when I need it. Tried the no-pull harness too, but that didn't work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    They have their place if used correctly. Unfortunately, many (not all, Mali, hate to burst your bubble!) people don't use them correctly, and forget they have a brake button.

I have one for longer walks with my dog. (He's almost 70 pounds, BTW, and I can control him just fine) He enjoys the freedom to explore. If we're around people or near the road, the leash is locked at a length that is no longer than a standard leash. He also knows better than to hit the end-just as he knows that there is always to be slack in a standard leash. He walks at heel when commanded; I lock it then but don't have to. When we go to Petsmart or the vet's or anywhere else there are lots of other people and dogs, he's on a standard leash.

But I can assure that I am neither "lazy" nor clueless about how to walk my dog. He's CGC and therapy dog trained.

Should they be used in all situations? No. Does everyone use them correctly? No. But to say they're all bad is not the truth either.

Thank you. Man this sure is a world full of ranting people. I hate this, I hate that, I need to vent, I need to rant. GESH. If you have time to get yourself worked over something like this...then you have a pretty good life, consider yourself blessed and move on.

And ps..I have three flexi leashes, and three dogs over 70 pounds AND I manage to walk them just fine..but as this poster stated, I know when and when not to use one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    AGREED!!! THEY ARE THE WORST INVENTION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have gotten severe rope burn on the back of my knees when I was a kid from a dog on one. HURT SO BAD. I will not go near a dog on one to this day and that was over 15 year ago at least. I think they should be banned from the market. I HATE them. Not to mention that happened to me twice. Not so bad the first time, but the second time I had open rope burns on the back of my knees. NOT FUN!

Put your animal on a regular leash!
    Yep...that happened to me years back standing in my apt parking lot talking to a girl and her dog wrapped himself around me and burned the crap out of my legs.

There are many inventions out there that are bad in the wrong hands...What about cars? Much worse/more deadly than flexis.

Add me to the 1% that uses it correctly. I wince when I see someone trying to control their dog with a Flexi (usually they try to grab the twine lead with their fingers and try to drag the dog back to them. Ugh.) Or they're chatting with their buddy and the dog is all over the place checking things out, getting wrapped around things. Now, I work at Petsmart, but before that, I didn't really "get" why people hated Flexis so much. I understood it, but didn't really get it. Now I actually get to see how many people misuse a retractable leash. Where's common sense? I knew right off the bat the correct way to use a Flexi when I was 11 years old. It wasn't until a few years ago that I noticed the Flexi leash comes with instructions, and everything that was printed just happened to be the exact same methods I was already using. But it seems everyone else fails to notice there's even a brake button. "Mitsi, come! Mitsi, come here! Mitsi! Mitsie, come here!" Absolutely no effort to draw the dog closer with the leash, unless you count grabbing the twine and dragging her closer with that. Ouch much?

When I use a flexi, my thumb is ALWAYS touching the brake button, and my attention is always on my dog. When he's too far ahead and I want him to come back, I press the brake, move my arm behind me while walking, release the brake and bring my arm back in front of me, press the brake and repeat, until Jake is back at my side. He's an old soul, though, he knows what's up. Once the pressure of the first brake touches him, he stops moving and waits for me to catch up.

I have to add that the twine version seems the most "evil," but the new tape version is awesome. Easier to grab (if you're so inclined), less likely to tangle or clod up in hair, less likely to snap and break after a few years of use, just simply nicer looking.

I also want to note that the only good brand of retractable leash is Flexi (people use "Flexi" to cover all brands, but Flexi is an actual brand). IMO, all the other brands are junk, breaking quickly and/or having poor retractable-ness. I've only ever had good luck with the Flexi brand. My first Flexi lasted 6 years, through being dropped and dragged in mud, water, sand, asphalt, snow, ice, etc., and even left outside overnight in terrible weather. It finally died with Jake played "race alongside the fence" with a neighbourhood Bouvier and the twine snapped. Jake's a trained dog, so we simply walked back home with me holding the firm part of the leash (near the hook) as if it were a regular leash, though a short one, lol

But, yeah. There definitely is a link between poor Flexi use and poor dog handling in general. The ones with poor Flexi usage is also more likely to let their bristling dog run up to another dog, thinking he just wants to greet a friend.
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    After being at Rolex the last 2 days I agree. Also pinch collars. I saw someone walking their pit bull today and every time they had a death grip and the dog tugging with the pinch collar on. Really if that is what you need to keep your dog under control for the day don't bring them.
    In defense of pinch collars.... when you have a large dog (pit cross) who DOES walk at a heel EVERYTIME she is leashed.. when we are out in a new situation that I don't have total control over (public) she wears her pinch collar that that I can GET control quickly if I need it should she loose her brain. THat and I have a bad shoulder so I don't tolerate pulling AT ALL.

that being said, I would never need it on DH's shepard, he's a wuss. all I have to do is TSK quietly at him and he's back at a heel no matter what the situation.

and ditto- the tape version /heavey duty up to 100lbs big thing is what I used before I/we moved to our current place and fenced the whole thing. and both of my dogs at the time learned the cue RoundIt, which is a cousin to Foos so there was no tangling.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    In defense of pinch collars.... when you have a large dog (pit cross) who DOES walk at a heel EVERYTIME she is leashed.. when we are out in a new situation that I don't have total control over (public) she wears her pinch collar that that I can GET control quickly if I need it should she loose her brain. THat and I have a bad shoulder so I don't tolerate pulling AT ALL.

that being said, I would never need it on DH's shepard, he's a wuss. all I have to do is TSK quietly at him and he's back at a heel no matter what the situation.

and ditto- the tape version /heavey duty up to 100lbs big thing is what I used before I/we moved to our current place and fenced the whole thing. and both of my dogs at the time learned the cue RoundIt, which is a cousin to Foos so there was no tangling.
    It's been a while...but I have heard about a study where they took postmortems on working dogs (AKA police dogs) and found out that the pinch collars left a lot less damage compared to the chokers.

It's like a stud chain: good when you don't need it, better to have it if you do. Considering how many dogs I had lean into a choker, pinch collar all the way should I get another big dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I hate any kind of lead or collar in the hands of an idiot owner. A lot of people use anything so they don't have to pay attention, which really irritates me. I wonder why some people get animals if they don't have any intention of taking care of them properly. And I second the hate for people who give a little kid the leash to some dog they can't control, or someone who lets their animal hurt others while reciting the traditional fools chant of "he's just trying to say hi!" or "he's friendly" while he's trying to eat you or your dog.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I put Flexi-leads in the same category as those "no-pull" mane cutter things - you should have to take a test before buying one, as 99% of the user just make a mess of things with them.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Oh, SSWJ, my own father is a flexi-lead misuser of the first degree. He and stepmom currently have a pair of year-old, untrained JRTs. Seriously, these dogs are allowed to jump on the dinner table because it's 'cute'. On flexi-leads, they're like a pair of hyperactive, self-animated tether balls flying around. Barking shrilly and incessantly, of course.

And, of course, he's getting hard of hearing, so he keeps wanting to stand next to you while letting the dog(s) zip around randomly on the leads. So any conversation includes constant untangling, hopefully before you get a rope burn or your ankles tied together.

Why, yes, they *do* take them--uninvited--and their flexi-leads to just about any family visit or function and are highly offended when asked not to do so. Argh.
    ---------------------------

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post

Pinch colors have their place and in the instance that you say it is fine and I understand it. I saw another dog on one today but it was calm, collar was loose and most likely used for the reason you state. The one I saw yesterday however was being held tightly, dog was pulling constantly, so the pinch collar was continually digging in, evidently not having the desired effect of getting the dog under control that well. I guess like the flexi it can be abused as well
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

For all you flexi-haters, let me tell you the perfect example of a use for them: I was walking my two Border Terriers today in the woods and streams of 200 acres. My youngster has a very good recall but I don't entirely trust it will be perfect if a fox or coyote shows up. So when I entered the woods, I put the young dog on the Flexi. He was still enjoying a 'free' walk in the fields but I had control just in case. No other people around. When a couple of deer crossed our path, he was interested but on the flexi, I had control. Flexi's have no place in confined or crowded areas, they are a great tool out in the wide open spaces.

[QUOTE=Beethoven;5579638I have gotten severe rope burn on the back of my knees when I was a kid from a dog on one. ![/QUOTE]

You are lucky, my trainer saw a woman get her leg sliced clear to the bone by a Flexi lead...... I hate them,and most dog shows are now banning them as well. I can see their usefulness for someone who knows how to use them and they are in an isloated area, but the general public is too clueless.....

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    Pinch colors have their place and in the instance that you say it is fine and I understand it. I saw another dog on one today but it was calm, collar was loose and most likely used for the reason you state. The one I saw yesterday however was being held tightly, dog was pulling constantly, so the pinch collar was continually digging in, evidently not having the desired effect of getting the dog under control that well. I guess like the flexi it can be abused as well
    no collar is intended to be pulled against continually flat, choker, or pinch. the only thing made with that in mind is draft harnesses for dogs.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I don't have issue with them. But NOT when they're used in place of training. And NOT when they're used by an inattentive owner who lets their pet get into trouble 15' behind them. It is not appropriate where there are other pets on leashes where leaches can get tangled or out of control. If there are enough people or other pets to warrant being kept on a short leash, then the dog needs to be a short leash (a locked Flexi leash or a shortened regular leash). Common sense people!

They have their uses, such as teaching recall in certain settings with certain dogs. The alternative might be something like a horse lunge line. You can't proof recall with the dog tied within 3' of you at all times.

I have no idea how someone can get cut open by one. I suppose I could find someone somewhere who used a regular leash and ended up in the ER with bad rope burn. There has to be an element of common sense & safety no matter what you use.

First, haven't read whole thread, but WOW!!

I LOVE the flexi! My dog is expected to act right on or off, I do use it with "heel", he is expected to respond to his "calls" when on the full length. I will admit I am not *quite* as rigid(and he knows it)on lead(he also has a rope lead that is about 100ft) however he does respond better off(swear he knows). My JRT knows to stay aaway from other dogs unless given permission. Will stay on the curb, unless allwoed to step off etc.

I get annoyed with ijits on 6' leads who let their dogs go all over, and don't comprehend my dog is on my offside FOR A REASON *YOU DUMB COW*!!!!!

IJITS abound, flexis or not!!!!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I have one, along with about 3 other leash types.

The flexi gets used when I run, because its easier to grip. However, 99% of the time its on the shortest it can be, and my dog is running at my side. If we are by ourselves out in the country I sometimes let her explore, but that's with no one around.

Out in public the regular leashes are far better for control IMO. The handle on the flexi is too bulky for corrections in public.

It is also handy for teaching recall. I have a 20' line I used for recall but sometimes its a pita when it gets all tangled.

My dog is also trained to be at a heel when I say so.

I do agree though, in the hands of most, its a total pain because they just let their dogs go wherever they please. And those ropes are PAINFUL.

They do make ones that are all leash, no wire rope or whatever that is.

I'm not a fan of them. If I want to let my dogs run but still be in control of them, I stick a lunge line on them.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!