The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I rather dislike them. Although I never knew that they were called "flexi leads." I always just referred to them as retractable leashes/leads.
    I took my new puppy for her first visit to the vet on Friday, and when we entered the building she only got 2 or 3 steps in the door before a much larger(than her anyway) dog came barreling across the room at the end of a retractable leash and jumped on top of her. She was understandably terrified. Owner was around the corner, not even w/in sight of the incident, and made no attempts to control his dog. The vet tech at the counter had to come and help restrain the larger dog and send him back toward his human.
    Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by supaflyskye View Post
    I rather dislike them. Although I never knew that they were called "flexi leads." I always just referred to them as retractable leashes/leads.
    I took my new puppy for her first visit to the vet on Friday, and when we entered the building she only got 2 or 3 steps in the door before a much larger(than her anyway) dog came barreling across the room at the end of a retractable leash and jumped on top of her. She was understandably terrified. Owner was around the corner, not even w/in sight of the incident, and made no attempts to control his dog. The vet tech at the counter had to come and help restrain the larger dog and send him back toward his human.
    Ridiculous.

oye veh...

(this is when you put what your momma taught you on the back burner and tell offending food dispenser to 'real in that F***ing DOG NOW!!!" )
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Okay the cat being chased by the flexi handle set off a massive feedback loop of laughing between me and the macaw on my shoulder. I laughed out loud, she laughed out loud, I laughed at her laughing out loud, and she laughed out loud. That went on for a while. I do need to say she laughs just like me -complete with the sigh at the end. Y'know HA HA HA HA HA OOOOOOH.

Now on to flexis. Flexi scenarios that make me roll my eyes.

1. Saw a mastiff on a flexi in town.
    2. Flexis attached to choke chains
    3. Dog aggressive dogs on flexis (and you're wondering why he's not making alot of progress ).

Personally I don't like them. I like being unencumbered when I'm walking my dog on leash and having a big clunky plastic box in my hand does not meet the criteria of unencumbered. I have a nylon belt (one of those clicky buckle things) on which I loop my leash. Yoshi walks on a 25 or a 50 ft leash. He can walk a loose leash heel and minds me. I don't have an issue carrying extra leash looped in my hand on those rare occasions that is warranted (we walk in fields, parks, woods, etc.) As I write that it strikes me that unencumbered is quite a personal and arbitrary thing. Someone else might find loops of leash being a pain in the butt.

Paula

Default Too funny

I think the issue is more with the..uh...ability of the person on the other end of the leash. Years ago I managed to walk two retrievers on flexi leads (simultaneously) while pushing a stroller no less. Not in the city mind you, on the country roads around my house. Never caused injury to myself, my dogs or any other humans or dogs. Maybe I'm just gifted?

Really, if someone can't control one dog on a flexi...maybe they shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle either?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post

Really, if someone can't control one dog on a flexi...maybe they shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle either?
    ah, you are painting a picture of Utopia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.