The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The Flexi Rant Thread

There it is

I hate flexi leashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

They should all be burned.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

So what IS a flexi lead? Are they the ones with the plastic box/spool that the lead retracts into, and the thumb switch/lever? I had one of them for my old dog and had no trouble with it. What is so bad about it?

Lately I've fallen in love with these:
    http://www.myrope.com/dog_training_supplies/
    and have one in every length for my new dog, but the real reason I never use the flexi is that it's PINK and my new doggie is a boy!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about them. They're only used by people who have no idea how to properly train/walk their dogs, or are just too lazy to care. Have you ever seen one single person walking their dog in a correct heal position with a flexi-leash? Nope...I didn't think so. Everybody just lets their dogs wander willy nilly in front of them, totally controlling the owner's every move.
    Cindy

I loathe and despise them. My vets office has banned them. They offer zero control are usually paired with an inappropriate collar or a harness. Nine times out of ten they are also paired with an oblivious owner. Truly, truly hate them.

My question is - why do people with medium-large dogs EVER use them? There's just no way a flexi can hold/control a dog over 20lbs.

They have their place. Recall training in an open area, for letting the dog get a bit of exercise when you are away from home and you're in an open area. I actually find them easier to walk with as my dogs are little and they can get tangled up in my lead. Now for crowded areas, any place where I need some control, etc. they are not the right tool. But in an open park area where no-one is around but you don't want them offlead, I like they give the dog a little freedom. I have 15 pound dogs though.

Not a fan of the flexi leash but my pet peeve is the inappropriately used choke chain. Maybe if they changed the name people wouldn't think they work by pulling constantly for so long that the dog loses consciousness.

I actually believe Flexi's should be licensed for use. If you don't know the appropriate uses for them, you can't have one.

Having said that, walking the dogs to potty around my large, unfenced yard next to a busy road. At the park and when on trails without company. Walking the neighborhood when it's not busy. That's when the Flexi's get used.

We don't use them any place busy, at the PetsMart, in obedience or agility classes, or anyplace where there are other animals.

Flexi's should NEVER be used with an untrained dog. That's asking for trouble. I had someone with a large unruly bulldog type on a flexi run around behind my horse, wrapping the rope around him. Thankfully my horse doesn't care about things like that, but seriously, that could have been one heck of a nasty wreck.

Add another person that despises Flexi-leads!! Hate them!!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I loathe and despise them. My vets office has banned them. They offer zero control are usually paired with an inappropriate collar or a harness. Nine times out of ten they are also paired with an oblivious owner. Truly, truly hate them.
    Your vet sounds like a smart guy/gal!

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

After being at Rolex the last 2 days I agree. Also pinch collars. I saw someone walking their pit bull today and every time they had a death grip and the dog tugging with the pinch collar on. Really if that is what you need to keep your dog under control for the day don't bring them.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I'd like to shoot whoever invented those d@mn things. They're always in the hands of oblivious, completely clueless owners and attached to dogs with NO manners or training.

Every time I take my dogs to a public park or greenway on their 4-foot leashes, some fool has his/her ill-mannered dog on one, and it's dragging owner all over the place and rushing up to my dogs. Owner has no control: "He just wants to say HI!!" One rocket scientist wasn't paying attention whatsoever (texting while walking his dog) and his little yippy dog ran under and back around my hound, tangling him up in the cord. I had some choice words for owner.

I wish all vet offices would ban them. While they can be useful in certain situations, the people I encounter who use them seem wholly unable to recognize those situations.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

They have their place if used correctly. Unfortunately, many (not all, Mali, hate to burst your bubble!) people don't use them correctly, and forget they have a brake button.

I have one for longer walks with my dog. (He's almost 70 pounds, BTW, and I can control him just fine) He enjoys the freedom to explore. If we're around people or near the road, the leash is locked at a length that is no longer than a standard leash. He also knows better than to hit the end-just as he knows that there is always to be slack in a standard leash. He walks at heel when commanded; I lock it then but don't have to. When we go to Petsmart or the vet's or anywhere else there are lots of other people and dogs, he's on a standard leash.

But I can assure that I am neither "lazy" nor clueless about how to walk my dog. He's CGC and therapy dog trained.

Should they be used in all situations? No. Does everyone use them correctly? No. But to say they're all bad is not the truth either.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    They have their place if used correctly. Unfortunately, many (not all, Mali, hate to burst your bubble!) people don't use them correctly, and forget they have a brake button.

I have one for longer walks with my dog. (He's almost 70 pounds, BTW, and I can control him just fine) He enjoys the freedom to explore. If we're around people or near the road, the leash is locked at a length that is no longer than a standard leash. He also knows better than to hit the end-just as he knows that there is always to be slack in a standard leash. He walks at heel when commanded; I lock it then but don't have to. When we go to Petsmart or the vet's or anywhere else there are lots of other people and dogs, he's on a standard leash.

But I can assure that I am neither "lazy" nor clueless about how to walk my dog. He's CGC and therapy dog trained.

Should they be used in all situations? No. Does everyone use them correctly? No. But to say they're all bad is not the truth either.

you are probably the 1% that uses it as nature intended...
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    Every time I take my dogs to a public park or greenway on their 4-foot leashes, some fool has his/her ill-mannered dog on one, and it's dragging owner all over the place and rushing up to my dogs. Owner has no control: "He just wants to say HI!!"
    One of my all-time favorite dog articles (I feel many dog owners, particularly a large percentage of flexi-lead owners, should read it): He just wants to say "hi!"

Ugggh I used to work at a kennel and you could ALWAYS tell the dogs that had flexi-leashes. We used a very simple loop for all the dogs, so it had a mild choke function but if a dog was trained to walk on a leash they didn't feel anything more than a collar would feel like. The flexi dogs learn to lean into pressure (since the flexi has a constant light pressure), which makes it hell to walk them once they hit the end of any leash. They'd try to just drag you around because they kept looking for the give to do whatever the hell they wanted.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

They're especially awesome when there's an elementary school aged kid at the control end.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I can't tell you how much I love my flexi-leashes.....It is wonderful. It is the best thing since sliced bread!

Living in a rural, country setting can be challenging with a dog that must be on a leash outside of a fenced yard. Being on a flexi-leash allows him to explore and get more exercise. He is able to pursue his quarry through the brush and leaves and keep on running as I take a hike! We are rural. No neighbors. Life is grand.

In public, however, he is a perfect gentleman on his REGULAR leash. He is trained to heal and roughly knows how to come. He is a dauchshund. His prey drive gets the best of him. He can't help it. Hahaha!

Yes, I do hate flexi-leashes too. Too many hangups caused by people who have no eartly clue! Getting tangled up or caught up in humans or other animals. Dangerous things!

Being country and pseudo hunting with my dog, he lives and thrives on his flexi!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    They should all be burned.
    AGREED!!! THEY ARE THE WORST INVENTION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have gotten severe rope burn on the back of my knees when I was a kid from a dog on one. HURT SO BAD. I will not go near a dog on one to this day and that was over 15 year ago at least. I think they should be banned from the market. I HATE them. Not to mention that happened to me twice. Not so bad the first time, but the second time I had open rope burns on the back of my knees. NOT FUN!

Put your animal on a regular leash!