The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff of Stores: Do You Take Your Dog to Someone Else's Private Property?

Do you always ask first? If dog happens to be with you not preanounced, do you ask before letting the dog out of the car?

I can't quite get the mentality here. I don't have a lot of visitors to the farm - too remote - but when somebody does come, at least 50% of somebodies seem to bring their dog. The majority of those will let the dog bound right out of the car ahead of them - no leash, and if there is obedience training there, it's definitely not in evidence. The most obedience I have seen from any canine visitor over the years is to grudgingly return to owner after at least 5 calls when it's time to leave.

They sniff all over my property, root in my flower beds, chase or at least lust after my cats. When I object to this, I am obviously considered the rude and unreasonable one. To cap it off, just over a year ago, I got given a dog. This dog is not dog friendly. I was specifically offered this dog because I have a very remote place with no other dogs. Well-bred, well-raised dog who just was not working out in her current place. Has obedience training (I can recall her off ANYTHING with one word). Owners were experienced. They tried hard on socialization, but she just was never good with other dogs. They finally decided she needed her own private place, dog free, that could be her turf and hers alone. I took her with that acknowledged. I did ask most carefully about cats, since I have cats all over. This dog adores cats, no issue with horses or any other thing except dogs. She wants to be an only dog. They offered me a trial, and it worked out really well. She is absolutely trustworthy with cats. She is never outside unless I am, and she is under direct supervision then - if I'm doing something requiring my full attention like working the horses, she is left in. You can hear a car half a mile away, so nobody surprises us. We do not have a loose wandering dog problem out here, as the region practices SSS freely. This is as near as she will find to a dog-free zone to live out her life. She's a neat dog and happy here.

However, when these idiots come and let Poopsie (who was not advertised to be coming along) hop out of the car immediately and run all over, I say, "My dog isn't friendly to dogs. Would you please put your dog back in your car?" Of course, had they done something like mentioned the dog was coming ahead of time, I would have already brought this up. Almost 100% of them reply, "Oh, he's/she's not going to hurt anything! He's/she's friendly!"

I have said nothing about THEIR dog. I said something about MY dog, on whose PRIVATE PROPERTY turf their dog is romping. I call Hannah up to me and put her at heel, and she stays there and stares. She is obedient, but you can see the thoughts spinning.

I just can't understand why anybody would try this in the first place. I would never dream of taking my dog to someone else's place without specifically asking the owner first. If I happened to have the dog along and just wound up there as an unplanned stop on the way, I would never consider letting the dog out on their PRIVATE property unless I was specifically asked to. And if the owner of this property said, "Please put your dog up," there would be no debate about that at all, no argument about "he's friendly." Back into the car the dog would go immediately.

What on earth are people thinking here? I really don't understand it. Someone else's private property is not a dog park.

i generally don't bring my dog with me to other folks places. if i do i ask ahead because, like the OP, i've been burdened with uninvited dogs a time or two myself.

i think that people think that because we live 'in the country' that all animals are welcomed guests. people love the idea that they can just let fido off the leash to 'run free' here. a horrible idea for canines that are not accustomed to livestock.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

don't know. I'd never take a dog along on a visit to someone else's home, and would be very irate (and rude) if someone showed up here with an uninvited dog in tow. People do it with young children too- had someone come for a visit (invited) and bring their (not invited) 2-year-old along. I had a not-safe-with-children foster dog at the time, and a very un-child-proof-house and yard and was not pleased at all.

I always ask if it's a good friend, if it's not a super close friend, I will usually wait until they invite the dog (which happens fairly often because our girl is so polite and friendly) so they don't feel obligated to say yes. I don't bring my dog to the barn, even though she's allowed, because the barn owner's dogs like to rough house too much for my greyhound's taste. And I don't trust her recall at this point in a place with horses and fencing that she can squeeze through.

I would NEVER bring a dog to a farm, stable, horse show, home, etc. without asking first. And even if invited, I would not bring a dog to a place if I thought there might be any sort of issue.

People are oblivious about pets. So many get dogs and know absolutely nothing about them and do ZERO research to get smarter.

And yes, they always say, "No, my dog loves other dogs! She won't hurt anyone!" And my thought is always, why the heck would you think it's all about your dog's behavior? There may very well be numerous dangers to your dog on the property that have nothing to do with how sweet your pup is. Same at dog parks. Example: little dog owner wanting to come into the "big" dog side because it's bigger and has another dog in it to play with: "Oh! My little chihuahua just LOOOOOVES big dogs! Don't worry!" And I'm like, "Well my 75-pound greyhound sees your little poopsie scoot across the park and thinks she's supposed to catch it and maybe eat it, soo..." "Oh! Don't worry! My little poopsie is fast!" Me: "Um, my dog used to race for a living..."

This is why I pretty much only use dog parks when they're empty, haha.

Not sure but can someone fill me in on the mentality on why it's necessary to bring dogs to other people's property and events??

My MIL is a major culprit. She asked me if she could bring one of her dogs (she has 8) to my wedding. I politely said no. She brought the dog anyway. My family (I was busy getting ready!) knew that I had told her no and asked her politely to leave the dog in the car (short wedding and cool June morning, so that would have been OK). She brought the dog anyway and caused a lot of grief and unhappiness. She still hates me over it.

She brings the dogs everywhere if there's a function. Family reunion. There's at least one dog. Christmas event..there's a dog.

I had a foal shower for my horse and she wanted to bring a dog (new puppy...I am not sure if this is a pet store or flea market rescue as that is where she acquires most of them) and she was told no. She said she wasn't really asking, she was telling.

It's not her property. It's not her event.

I guess liability or insurance regulation don't run through their minds?

I have an aunt/uncle that frequently travel and bring their dogs everywhere with them, but they are never permitted out of the car except at the invitation of the host and then only for a short time and they're usually just crated. That's fine since the dogs go all over the US with them and can't be left at home when home is on the road.

I have brought my family's lab to the barn if my husband is with me (then he can play with his dog while I groom the horse or whatever) and he's not permitted off leash. Sometimes he has the lunge line attached to him so he can wandered a bit further, but not permitted to go in as I don't trust him on a strange farm with strange horses, etc. The BO is fine with the dog on the property, but if for an instant she didn't want him there, he'd have his hiney home. After all, the dog is just a guest and not a paying client.

I can't imagine bringing him to a show or clinic. Too much liability and who on earth would you ask? The facilities? BM? Who's coordinating the clinic?

I bring my dog to my parents house. He gets along with their 2 big dogs and they're used to the amount of drool/destruction/craziness that a young boxer brings along.

Other than that, nope...he stays in the car and gets leashed walks down the road or at home. Can't stand it when people bring dogs to my house unannounced, so we don't do that. I think some of DH's family is insulted that we don't bring our dog to their house, they always invite him. But....they have 2 yorkies that don't like other dogs. And my dog is 90 lbs and drooly....good bye nice clean house.
    ~Katelyn~

I feel the exact same way about peoples kids....

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    I feel the exact same way about peoples kids....
    So do I! But at least the parents of the very rare kid who ends up on my farm will listen to my legitimate and even inflated safety concerns better than dog owners. "I would really hate to have Junior kicked into orbit by Fiero, so please keep him away from the pasture."

Never once have had a parent reply, "Oh, he's friendly!"

Kids in public places are something else, but at least on my farm, their parents tend to be more "spookable" into practicing basic crowd control than the dog owners do.

I'd rather see uninvited dogs than uninvited children. I'd feel much nicer offering a restraining device to a rowdy dog than trying to reason with a rowdy child.

As far as dogs I cart around, if I don't know about dog rules I ask if the dog can come, and always have it on a leash.

[QUOTE=dressagetraks;5578308]Do you always ask first? If dog happens to be with you not preanounced, do you ask before letting the dog out of the car?

I just don't take any of my well behaved, pretty highly trained dogs to private homes. I was surprised when I read this post.

It isn't that my dogs don't go places, they just do not go to human social events. There are dog things we do, people-with-dog things we do and people only things we don't do together.

And on another note, I especially would never think of taking my dog to a farm where there would be a high possibility of having territorial resident farm dogs. Why on earth would I ever risk injury to MY dog by inciting the resident dogs? And I also would not want the resident dogs jumping on my car if my dog-in-the-car started barking at them.

For those who feel the same way about kids......I think I would have to think about that. My kids went nearly everywhere with me. That does not mean they hopped out of the car and were allowed to run wild either. They were expected to keep their hands to themselves and stay with me.

No, I don't take my dogs to anyone's property unless the dogs are expressly invited. Most people don't take too kindly with someone showing up with a Doberman Pinscher unannounced, anyway. If I were out and wanted to drop by someone's house, I would call and ask first. I never get offended if someone doesn't want my dogs on their property. Honestly, I don't want anyone else's dogs on my property either!

......I think I would have to think about that. My kids went nearly everywhere with me.
    well think about it- I think it's the same mentality of the people who go everywhere with their dog, they just don't THINK of the impact on others. My place is set up such that we can deal with dogs, but not young kids, and no one better arrive with a kid in tow, I'm not letting them in. Not safe for the kids, we don't want to deal with them, most peoples kids are worse-behaved than their dogs. And we don't believe your assertions about "he's friendly" or "he won't stick his arm down the garbage disposal, really" because such statements usually prove to be totally wrong.

I never have brought a dog to anyone elses' private property except a couple of times to my parents' house over 20 years ago. I think to do so is rude beyond measure. What I hate is having to kennel my dogs when my husband's friend comes by with his feral grand children. All my dogs are good with children but I've got a couple of arthritic geratrics who need to be handled gently. One little girl grabbed one of the geezer's front legs and tried to make him "dance" with her. This after being told repeatedly to not try to pick him up. He bit her.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

[QUOTE=wendy;5578679]well think about it- I think it's the same mentality of the people who go everywhere with their dog, they just don't THINK of the impact on others.

Wow Wendy....did you read my post? I said "went". You most likely would not object now, they are 23/25/27.

It wouldn't occur to me to take my dogs somewhere uninvited, any more than I would show up with my horse at someone elses' home and ride around on their property.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have a "invite me, invite my dogs/friends/children/random hitch hiker I picked up on the road" mentality. It just takes one simple sentence--and some manners--to confirm who, exactly, was included in the invitation and act accordingly.

My Dalmatian is with me far more often than not as she comes to work with me, then I often have to detour for one thing or another on the way home. However, she ALWAYS stays in the car unless specifically invited out. The exception of course is at friends places where she is welcome. We have 50-odd hounds at home and I am still amazing (and p*ssed off!) when people arrive and let Fido out of the car. Invariably the "visiting" dog runs straight up to the hound runs and stirs them all up, with the owner thinking it's funny or cute. I fail to see the humour!
    "A babbler amongst the followers of a pack of hounds is just as great an evil as a babbler in the pack" The Complete Foxhunter 1908

I suspect the problem is worse for those of you on a farm. For some reason, many clueless people with dogs and children think that farms are somwhow public. Expecially if they board a horse! Doesnt that mean they can bring anything and anyone to cavort around? They are friendly!

I take my dog to public places where dogs are welcome/allowed without seeking permission in advance.

I take him to private residences where I already know he is welcome (e.g., family, close friends) when we are going for a multi-day visit; though he has an open invitation to accompany us to these homes/farms, I always call and ask permission ... who knows when something may have changed!

I cannot fathom anyone visiting an unknown person's home or business and just bringing their dog(s) along without making sure this is OK first. (I rather feel the same way about children, but am willing to cut parents some slack since it is neither legal nor socially acceptable to leave young kids home -- loose or crated.) When I took boarders, I had a fairly liberal dog policy, but anyone who showed up with a dog and just let it bound out of the car unleashed generally went to the top of the "NOT a potential client list" and was told exactly why. Those who came to see the place, asked about the dog policy, asked if they could bring Poopsie to the initial appointment to visit, and obeyed my simple rules were more likely to make it onto the "potential client" list.

One of my former dogs was so perfect in her behavior that I would take her with me to teach riding lessons at other farms. She stuck by my leg unless told to stay somewhere else; and she stayed there until she heard otherwise. Even this paragon of canine virtue never left my truck until I had the BO's approval.

Sometimes you just have to wonder what people are thinking.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I would never bring a pet or a child to someone else's house without that person inviting me to bring him/her. I just find it rude.

If I am running errands and the dog has to be with me, I absolutely leave the dog in the car a moment while I ask permission from everyone present at the host's home. I had a remote starter added to my car which features the ability to leave the car running (climate control on) with keys out & doors locked. If someone tried to steal the car, without the key in it, the car shuts off immediately as soon as someone touches the brake pedal. Not that I'd leave the dogs out there for hours - but it does allow me to leave them in a car safely for 10 minutes while I go talk to a friend real quick.

In public spaces, I go with whatever the rules are of the location. If it says no dogs, I don't bring the dog. If I am unsure, I'd talk to someone in authority before I open the door and let the dog out. It's because of inconsiderate people that dogs are banned from some public places or businesses, and I don't want to add to that negative sentiment against bringing pets to places.

I love my dogs dearly and they are not aggressive or noisy. But I recognize that not everyone is a dog person or in the mood to be surrounded by dogs. Same goes for children: I don't assume that if I like a child that everyone must want to be around him/her.

The only time I have ever taken any dog of mine to someone else's property is after being given permission to bring them. And then I make darn sure to keep an eye on the dog so they stay out of trouble.

I can't imagine the sense of entitlement to just expect my dog to be welcome because it's mine.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.