The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Sjudson17 Guest

Default Argentina Warmblood Breeder Suggestions

I have the good fortune of taking a trip to Chile and Argentina and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to do some horse shopping I am hoping I can get some suggestions for warmblood breeders in either of the two countries and some insight into the horse shopping experience from those of you who have been there done that. I am a serious show jumper with ambitious goals but relatively modest means. I know I can't get a bargain basement deal down South but I am hoping to get more bang for my buck. Thanks!

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate
    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Henry Jota horses! http://harashj.com/2010/eproductos2010.html I leased a Henry Jota stallion when I lived in Ecuador and he was out of this WORLD. Could've done the High Juniors, maybe even smaller GPs and he was only 15.1. I learned to jump 4'3" on that horse in a matter of a few months and he was the bravest, most honest guy I've ever met. And all of the HJ horses I've met since seem to have the same qualities. They're not going to be your cheapest pick down there, but they are worth the look!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

+1 with dani. I just recently bought one of their horses. He's wonderful

Thumbs up Henry Jota for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    Henry Jota horses! http://harashj.com/2010/eproductos2010.html I leased a Henry Jota stallion when I lived in Ecuador and he was out of this WORLD. Could've done the High Juniors, maybe even smaller GPs and he was only 15.1. I learned to jump 4'3" on that horse in a matter of a few months and he was the bravest, most honest guy I've ever met. And all of the HJ horses I've met since seem to have the same qualities. They're not going to be your cheapest pick down there, but they are worth the look!
    I used to own a HJ gelding. I would love the opportunity to own another one day! I also got to meet them at WEG and they remembered my horse, that's pretty impressive for such a big operation.
    Aunt Esther for President 2012

Thumbs up Both are great!

Don't forget you also have a Zangersheide operation down here, too! They are not the cheapest on the list but they have the same quality as Europe. In fact, all breeding in Argentina is of very high quality. There's a farm I love in Cordoba province that has Cassini bloodlines among others, and has beautiful foals. Tatabra and HJ are big operations and have good quality, but they rely on their yearly auctions, so they don't discount much. On the other hand, if you go to a smaller operation, they are super willing and usually have more select, quality broodmares.
    If you need more info, contact me through PM or my mail (that's in my profile) and I can send you small operations mails where you can ask around (since most of them don't have websites...). I live in Buenos Aires so I am familiar with the breeding operations. Also, if you want a tour around town, let me know. I love this city...it is amazing to say the least!
    Viv
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

I went to the Henry Jota auction. It was so much fun. They have a party the night before too. I was looking for a dressage horse and there was one that was a really good mover. His hock x-rays were not good so instead of putting him through the auction, they gave everyone a raffle ticket for each 10k they spent and raffled him off at the end. I thought that was pretty honest.

I ended up buying a really cool horse while driving farm to farm. Lots of German lines including Cor de la Bryere, etc. and they mixed it with their own Argentine stock so he is very sturdy. Perfect, huge, tough feet. He is on consignment at my dressage trainer's but he can jump.

Here he is on the flat before much training:

http://youtu.be/7YUQte8p5QY

I also had him evaluated jumping. Here he is before much dressage training and very little jumping. I was told he is great behind and as brave as they come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ufJXIqp8s

Anyway, I love Argentine horses. They come in all different shapes but they are all interesting!