The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Open" mare = not so open :) UPDATE! Its a Colt!!!!!

Yahoo! We bred our younger maiden (Florencio x Dormello) mare Felice to Harvard last year; she was checked and declared not in foal by a Vet.

As she came through the winter she went from looking healthy - to plump - to baby bump! The vet came out this week and sure enough she should be due to foal mid July. Has anyone else had this happen? It is a happy suprise, but still a suprise!
    Last edited by Emy; Jul. 13, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Yep. Me, last year. Congrats on the unexpected addition!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Jealous!!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Congratulations! That should be one fancy foal.
    Actually, my SPS Ditana showed "heat" last August about 6 weeks after being confirmed in foal to Quaterback. Had a urine-test for pregnancy done, and she tested "open".
    Then this March -- she started to look potty. Sure enough, pregnant, and due within a week. (Happy me)

Wow... this is exciting news for all of your. I have never been so lucky!
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Another jealous! Why doesn't that ever happen to me?
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Another jealous! Why doesn't that ever happen to me?
    You have a better vet.

Jealous!

I had a mare that was checked open last fall, and I really thought she looked pregnant this spring. Had her checked again -- in heat. Just bred her. Groan.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Bought a FoxTrotter mare in December. Previous owner sold her because she didn't settle when she bred her mares to her FoxTrotter stallion for one last season before he was gelded. Vet confirmed "open."

Come March the mare starts making a bag, and here I am keeping an eye on a live camera.

Fantastic news! Congrats! Super envious though, we've only had it happen the other way around. LOL
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

[QUOTE=Emy;5577029Has anyone else had this happen? It is a happy suprise, but still a suprise![/QUOTE]

Yeah...it's why I do what I do now <sigh>. Had a REALLY nice mare that we had bred and checked MULTIPLE times 'cause I just couldn't believe she wasn't in foal. Sold the mare. She had a spectacular foal the following spring...for someone else. So, not only had sold the mare for cheap, had the cost of the expensive semen (frozen), all the vet care to breed her - POOF! Gone. Yeah, I could have claimed rights to the foal, but it would have been another expensive undertaking and mare was all the way on the other side of the country. Lesson learned. I still scratch my head how someone can miss a 12 day pregnancy, let alone a 14 or 18 day pregnancy...or in this case, 14 day, 21 day or 45 day pregnancy!!!!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Yup happens here too.

Last year we were having issues with mares being sent home from stud supposedly in foal ( multiple checks) which ended up not being in foal. And then others supposedly not in foal that ended up being in foal. And we are talking multiple mares , think 5-6 all together which got annoying. Mostly from one stud farm but not all.

P.

I only wish this type of thing happened to me...
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

We have one this year and it is extremely bittersweet.
    We tragically lost our double registered white JC colt last summer as a two year old, but we had had him in with our appendix mare Amber in June as she is exceptional for teaching colts how to be stallions. We didn’t think he had figured it out as he seemed completely clueless with the second mare we had him in with (a Thoroughbred that we were REALLY hoping to get a foal from), so we never had her checked. Plus, she is one who will tease a stallion throughout her whole pregnancy.

Although we watched them together for hours at a time and never saw a sucessful cover, he obviously did the deed as she is now bagging up and while she was always an easy keeper has ballooned in the last two months. She's on camera now: http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=foxhavenfarm

Oh yes. My vet's younger partner has missed 30 day pregs 2 years in a row. Luckily the mare I had up for sale didn't. She's a great producer and I'd love to get a few more colts from her.

I'm having a chat with the vet this spring.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

It sounds like there are some very special unexpected babies coming. Congratulations to all of you. Can't wait to see them.

My "open" mare had a huge bay colt 1:50am May 4th.

At least its a good suprise. How often do GOOD suprises happen around horses?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Yeah...it's why I do what I do now <sigh>. Had a REALLY nice mare that we had bred and checked MULTIPLE times 'cause I just couldn't believe she wasn't in foal. Sold the mare. She had a spectacular foal the following spring...for someone else. So, not only had sold the mare for cheap, had the cost of the expensive semen (frozen), all the vet care to breed her - POOF! Gone. Yeah, I could have claimed rights to the foal, but it would have been another expensive undertaking and mare was all the way on the other side of the country. Lesson learned. I still scratch my head how someone can miss a 12 day pregnancy, let alone a 14 or 18 day pregnancy...or in this case, 14 day, 21 day or 45 day pregnancy!!!!
    Was it a filly????
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Never happens to me either!! Congrats to all with healthy "surprises" !! And Kathleen a Quaterback surprise....WOW!!!