The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Helen the blind/pregnant mare-for those still interested....

I read the previous posts here on the topic of Helen, the blind and pregnant mare. It looks like the rumors and hearsay got way out of control and too many personal opinions were shared.
    I know that many people are concerned for this horse's well being, so feel I should give you all a FIRST HAND update. Begin Again Horse Rescue, a real 501c-3 and AAEP approved and certified rescue now has her in posession. She has been surrendered by jonmouse into our care.
    Helen is in very good condition, she has been well cared for, is very sweet and gentle. We do not feel she is that close to her foaling date, our vet does not believe there is a way to predict a due date without a breeding date. Helen shows no sign of fescue toxicity at this time.
    Begin Again Rescue is in need of donations to prepare for the vet cost foaling this mare will incur. We do not usually take pregnant mares and did not plan this one either. We only helped out when no one else would. Please feel free to look at our website at www.beginagainrescue.org. The most current updates, including those about Helen can be found if you look us up on facebook.
    Thanks everyone, for your concern and support of Helen and our cause!

Thank you for this update. Here's hoping this thread can stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by BVhorses View Post
    Begin Again Horse Rescue, a real 501c-3 and AAEP approved and certified rescue now has her in posession.
    Do you happen to have any info on the AAEP certification approval/certification program?

Thanks.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I am beginning to think that there is no blind, preggo mare named Helen. People are just passing her around and asking for funds.

I read "Begin Again" as Beggin Again.

Really, Helen is like Herpes. She just won't go away.

Wow... this isn't an update! This is soliciting for money!

oh please, don't start!
    I knew Helen was safe and I am glad it is now official. Thank you for taking her on.
    No rescue has unlimited funds and any little bit helps. The big ones and the little ones always ask and welcome funds. Don't give if you don't want to, but please... let Helen be!

Cowgirljenn- We went through our vet inspection and applied through the AAEP to be approved. You can get information through them.

Munchingonhay and Katarine- If you are not interested, don't read the thread. I just thought that people were genuinely concerned for this horse and would like an update. I am not going to get into the same discussion you all had previously. Some people said that if the horse was in the care of a 501c-3 they would donate to her cause, well now she is. Jonmouse is no longer involved. And you are right, Helen will not just go away, it is not that simple.

On Begin Again (not beggin again) facebook page you can see pictures and updates of this mare.

ummm why do you already assume you are going to have vet costs at foaling? my vet costs are at most a farm call and an IGG at the worst.I can normally see about all the rest myself

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

She is beautiful and looks calm and content. Thank you!

Tamara- For a charity, every bill is an expense we need to get donations for. We are run 100% by donations and volunteers. Therefore the only income we have is donations from kind and caring people. So, even a routine well foal check is an expense we otherwise would not have. A farm call by appointment is $64. alone. Same day call is $75. Add in the cost of an IGG, if needed and well foal check and we are likely over $150.

I have to say, I cannot believe the negativity on this board, I do not visit here often and it is not a very inviting community. We are a small group trying to do good things for needy horses. We do things by the book and on the level. I know there are many rescues out there that are not legit, we are not one of them.

I have to say, I cannot believe the negativity on this board, I do not visit here often and it is not a very inviting community. We are a small group trying to do good things for needy horses. We do things by the book and on the level. I know there are many rescues out there that are not legit, we are not one of them.
    If you had been a more regular visitor then you would understand why it seems to not be so inviting here. Unfortunately, many rescues have preceded you and then turned out to be not what they portrayed themselves as (to put it mildly). I would guess a decent of money has been directly or indirectly raised on this board. For a while we had an overabundance of "please send money or this horse will be killed" threads. Don't take it personally.

BVhorses: I can't seem to find anything about Helen on the website. Can you direct me to the tab should I be looking under?

I hope all goes well for this poor mare now that she is with Begin Again.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

It is on Facebook. There are pictures too. She looks good and alert!

To some of these gals, asking them for money is worse than asking for their virginity.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    It is on Facebook. There are pictures too. She looks good and alert!
    Thanks - I am so glad there is a place to follow Helen's progress without all of the drama.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Cowgirljenn- We went through our vet inspection and applied through the AAEP to be approved. You can get information through them.
    I had looked at their website before I wrote and searched the web. The only thing I can find is their rescue guidelines - which isn't a certification program.

I did find when searching their website that some information I wrote for them on rescues is still on their website.... nice to see my work is hopefully still helping people...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    To some of these gals, asking them for money is worse than asking for their virginity.
    With the jungle of rescues and individuals asking continuously for donations, it is donor beware.

Great news BVHorses! I am glad she has landed safely.

Don't let the Negative Nellies get to you, good luck with Helen.

Thanks for the update! Please let us know when she has her foal, too.