The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,188

    Default Unrealistic Expectations (C-list, of course!)

    With all the recent threads of barn owners complaining about no decent help to be found, and barn workers saying that they're not cleaning stalls for $.50 each, this ad made me :

    looking for a volunteer for helping me with two horses who are green - need finishing and lots of grooming and handling time as well as riding - and walking through the trails, etc... in exchange you will get to ride as well as help with other animals and barn chores - private farm - not a boarding facility - large property and these are the only two horses on the farm... please email for details, pictures, and be sure to include your name, telephone number and 3 references (personal or professional) Thank you in advance for your responses....

    "Yes, so, I need help with my barely handled horses, for free. You'll have the privilege of working with them, of course, and then, as an extra bonus, when we get back to the farm.....CHORES! Yippie!"

    However, if anyone feels like this is just too good of a deal to pass up, PM me and I'll get you the actual link with the email address.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Oh, and by the way? The CLer wants three reference up front to make sure you are good enough to do this for free. Bite me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!
    Posts
    6,988

    Default

    This is actually the general content of most of the ads I see on Y&G these days
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Oh, and by the way? The CLer wants three reference up front to make sure you are good enough to do this for free. Bite me.
    well, actually, I thought it as insurance that you didn't plan on abusing the manure pile...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2005
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I live in a military town, and routinely see ads from young girls (aka bored, lonley housewives) who advertise that they will come ride your horSeeeeeeeeee!! AND want to be paid. Sorry, I'm not going to pay ANYONE for a pony ride. On my horse. That I feed and care for.

    I WILL however allow a young, working student type to come and ride my horses for me in order to gain experience, knowledge, and saddle time. I would never expect them to do chores for free though. Besides, noone can muck a stall like I can!!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackandMo View Post
    I live in a military town, and routinely see ads from young girls (aka bored, lonley housewives) who advertise that they will come ride your horSeeeeeeeeee!! AND want to be paid. Sorry, I'm not going to pay ANYONE for a pony ride. On my horse. That I feed and care for.

    I WILL however allow a young, working student type to come and ride my horses for me in order to gain experience, knowledge, and saddle time. I would never expect them to do chores for free though. Besides, noone can muck a stall like I can!!
    Okay, I'm down with just general pony rides/exercising a trained horse and not getting paid for it. But this lady wants TRAINING....hmm...perhaps I should tell the woman training my pony now that she should be paying ME, and not the other way around!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2009
    Posts
    1,891

    Default

    Oh, don't worry. Someone who fancys themselves a trainer will answer the ad and the whole situation could wind up a mess.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    6,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Oh, don't worry. Someone who fancys themselves a trainer will answer the ad and the whole situation could wind up a mess.
    And with any luck they will video it and post it for us on YouTube!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Ha ha ha! I saw that ad! (And wondered that I might even know who put it up too....)
    What would we do for entertainment without CL?



Similar Threads

  1. Unrealistic expectations?
    By Bluey in forum Off Course
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: Jan. 17, 2013, 07:23 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jul. 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
  3. Running unrealistic for an overweight 50 something?
    By Vesper Sparrow in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Jul. 3, 2012, 11:24 AM
  4. Unrealistic expectations? Consigned horse
    By Alter My Luck in forum Off Course
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan. 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
  5. Replies: 64
    Last Post: Aug. 7, 2011, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness